PDA

View Full Version : Maroocy River Bar

Free2Fish
07-12-2006, 07:12 AM
Gidday

I am staying on Maroochy River :) next week and am hoping to get outside using my 16ft Mustang Runabout. :o Was wondering if anyone has local knowledge on tide times etc to cross over the bar :-? I know it is a not a good crossing and won't take a risk going out (I can see it from my unit balcony ) ;D, but I also gotta come back :-?.
I would appreciate any tips, my boat will be moored at my unit ready to go at 4.30am, so don't want to back track to Mooloolaba. Thanks

Frank_Oostenbroek
07-12-2006, 12:52 PM
I would appreciate any tips, my boat will be moored at my unit ready to go at 4.30am, so don't want to back track to Mooloolaba.

Go to Mooloolaba. #It is safe all the time and you don't have to worry about the tides or wind.

Why even contemplate putting yourself and passengers in danger if you don't have to.

Have Fun.

Frank OO

Free2Fish
07-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Hi Frank, I appreciate your concern. My boat is permanently moored while I a ;)m staying, so was hoping for some local knowledge. I won't be venturing out without it! Will just have to chase Jacks upstream.

Thanks again ;)

finding_time
07-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Free2fish

How much bar crossings have you done?

The maroochy bar is crossable but imho is by far the most dangerous bar on the sunshine coast. #It is open to the swell and on a run out tide with any reasonable swell running is bloody dangerous.

The channel is quite narrow and alot of water runs out of the mouth on the run out making the waiting for a break in the sea hard as you are swept into the danger zone if your not very very careful. Also the water outside the bar is quite deep which can disguise the swell size a little and they do stand up when the hit the shallow coffee rock ledge . ::) If the tide is comming in and there is little sea a crossing is very doable with all the usual precautions but if you haven't done alot of bar work it would be best to put your boat back on the trailer and use mooloolahbah.

I have dont a fair bit of bar work on most of the se queensland bars including pincussion( maroochy bar) but it is the one that i came unstuck on one day and it wasn't very plesant ;)

Ian

pittymick
09-12-2006, 06:28 AM
you might be lucky, if there b,all swell you,ll be right. its with anything common sense ;D still puts me on edge though but is always fine ::)

REELY
09-12-2006, 09:08 AM
Free 2 fish, Hi, I would advise that you look at the conditions very carefully if you wish to make this crossing. It is a renound bar for mishaps!! Your ideal situation would be light variable winds with little or no swell at all which for this time of the year is unlikely remember the golden rule to practice safety first. You dont want your holiday to turn nasty. On the other hand there have been a number of Jacks cod queenies and hairtail !!! yes hairtail caught in the river in the last few weeks and the crabs are starting to jump into the pots. I got 5 keepers during the middle of the week. Come and see me @ Northshore bait and tackle and I'll try to put you onto fish, or if conditions suit we could always jump onto my offshore rig and do the Mooloolaba or Noosa river crossing. Cheers, Shawn.

Free2Fish
10-12-2006, 06:56 AM
Ian (finding_time)

Got your message, thanks mate ;), but with no early (daylight) tides this week, I will stick to the river. Wind looks good (with compliments to seabreeze.com.au) for Tuesday but tide is running out- so not interested! ::) Cheers
Steve

eotbmg
11-12-2006, 07:05 PM
head up stream and chase some jacks-dont bother going through the bar-far too dangerous IMHO
Cheers
Ben