PDA

View Full Version : Mool'ba run

Deiter
14-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Towed the boat up to Mooloolaba on Tuesday arvo to hit the shallow reefs. Considered going wider, but the uncertainty of conditions and having only put about 15hrs on the motor since i have had it kept me to within 8nm of shore. Well that and i didn't have any wide marks to head to either. ;)

It was a shaky start, towed, fueled up and launched o.k, then remembered that the "low oil" warning had sounded once on my last trip and i had emptied what was left in the spare bottle. So i left the deckie, Stu, at the ramp while i towed the empty trailer to the servo. Once inside, i realise i had put my wallet in the boat already, so back to the ramp - take two.

Eventually got out to the spot and sounded around to find some small shows. Did a few drifts b4 anchoring, which yeilded a healthy sweetlip and rat reds.

After anchoring, the wind and swell varied during the night to keep moving us off the mark, but we pulled in a few pearlies, sweetlip and the procession of little reds continued to dwindle the bait supplies. Moving didn't help, they were everywhere.

The next morning was more of the same, with the only snapper for the trip at a few kg's and little else so we had a pull for a few hours for only a few bonito. Strange thing was, it was a lovely day, and the other boats trolling had cleared off by about 9:30, so they weren't getting any either. Called it a day soon after and headed home to clean up.

Was still great to be out, and get a feed for our efforts.

Deiter
14-12-2006, 08:08 PM
lots of bait shows but not many arched today

Deiter
14-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Nice sweetie and pearly

Fishing_Freddy
14-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Good looking couple of fish you got there. Looks like it was fairly flat outside. At least you got the chance to get out and have a fish, I'm still waiting to get a break from work. Hopefully the new year will bring more fishing trips for me ;D
Ken

Sandman
15-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Mate could you clear up the pixels so i can get the coordinates ;D Only joking but getting desperate to get out .
Good to see you got her out for a run.
Mick

larfin
15-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Nice feed there mate
cheers
greg

Brownbear
15-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Nice one there Deiter! :) Would mind some reefies for Xmas...
WHat was the current like up there?

Deiter
15-12-2006, 03:04 PM
The current was dead at times, and this coincided with dead fishing aswell. In general, maybe 1/2 - 1 kn of run, if that.
Also, in the evening, we were in the middle of a good bite, then once the moon came up about 9 or so, things went very quiet.