PDA

View Full Version : Yellowfin x3, 25kg Black Marlin - top morning out!

jack_attacks
13-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Just a quick report before I get some rest ready for another early fish before work tomorrow...

On Tuesday I droped my trailcraft 5.4 in at Scarborough and headed for Cape Moreton. #I couldn't find a crew, so just headed out myself. #Plenty of scattered bait around, so I started trolling a spread of bibed and skirted lures - one Halco Giant Trembler, one Halco bibbed, and one Pakula cockroach.

To cut a long story short, it was a top 2.5 hours of fishing. #I packed up at 8:30 for the run home as I was needed in at work at midday.

Firstly, had a double (interesting when you are by yourself!) on Yellowfin around 8 kg and got both (nice feed there #;)), secondly, spent about 30 minutes fighting a black marlin from a standstill boat, then released him to fight another day, and thirdly as I turned for home, another Yellowfin (released as I had plenty of tuna fillets! :o) - all caught single handedly on 8kg. #Pics of the two Yellowfin keepers will follow soon...

Anyway, the weather is looking mighty fine tomorrow morning, so I will be on the water at 4am before heading to work!

Hope to see ausfishers out there amongst the action... :P

Playtime

disorderly
13-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Is that your first Marlin,mate?I'd love to hook up to a smallish specimen one day.

cheers Scott

jack_attacks
pic 1

jack_attacks
pic2

jack_attacks
13-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Is that your first Marlin,mate?I'd love to hook up to a smallish specimen one day.

# cheers Scott

Scott
No mate, not the first one. I have been pretty lucky and have caught plenty of billfish. First one singlehandly though... :-)
Cheers

larfin
14-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Top effort playtime
there have been a lot of small blacks around lately
cheers
greg

Sandman
14-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Well done mate cant complain about that catch , love the fin :P And top results landing the small black couldnt have been easy one handed.
Sandman

MJ
14-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Well done, nice fish. I'm looking out the window this morning and am very envious. Hope you do well. Let us know.

DaneCross
14-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Not bad for a before-work-run! Can I ask what positions you ran the three lures at? Just interested to know how skirts and hard bodies should be run together.

jack_attacks
14-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks larfin, sandman and MJ - great encouragement...not sure the wife thinks I need anymore encouragement ::)

DC - I don't run any riggers from my little 5.4 Trailcraft, so I run a short flat (hard bodied), long flat (hard bodied), then a shotgun (skirted) out the back. I like to run the skirted out a reasonable way (50-60 meters), well out of the Mercury propwash. I run a deep diver (the Halco trembler) on the short flat as it runs around 12 feet, and the bibbed in the long flat position as it runs around 6 feet.

Seems to do the trick no probs...

Playtime

jimboomba_jed
14-12-2006, 04:14 PM
You were sayin you were minus deckie! Ever need another one short notice-bit of fuel money and bring some brekky!! Give us a bell! # ::) ;D

Donnan

jack_attacks
14-12-2006, 09:00 PM
As mentioned previously, shot out again early this morning. Another top day with a small yellowfin released after a quick picture.

Weather was glorious, and was back at the ramp at 9:30am...

W/e weather doesn't look too promising... >:(

Playtime

jack_attacks
14-12-2006, 09:00 PM
5kg fin...

nofrills
15-12-2006, 07:15 AM
gday play time

i saw you at hutchies tues morning i was also trolling solo in a centre con with black spray dodgers on it and i was not far from you yesterday ;)ill post a report up later.
cheers scotty

jack_attacks
15-12-2006, 05:55 PM
gday play time

#i saw you at hutchies tues morning i was also trolling solo in a centre con with black spray dodgers on it and i was not far from you yesterday #;)ill post a report up later.
cheers scotty

Scotty
Saw you out there mate...how did you go?

Playtime

Jono_SS
16-12-2006, 09:44 AM
hey Mat

heard you logging off thursday morning - I was going to call but thought you would be on a mission to get to a Christmas party!

i had a bit of a troll around on my own for macs. was only catching the ones with the small number of large spots, rather than the large number of small spots. then got a double hookup that I thought was spotties for sure. turned out to be cobes. good fun getting both in without the deckie.

give chris a call and work out a plan for next week maybe, especially tuesday/wednesday.

would love to hook a bill fish.

jono.

jack_attacks
16-12-2006, 10:54 AM
hey Mat

heard you logging off thursday morning - I was going to call but thought you would be on a mission to get to a Christmas party!

i had a bit of a troll around on my own for macs. was only catching the ones with the small number of large spots, rather than the large number of small spots. then got a double hookup that I thought was spotties for sure. turned out to be cobes. good fun getting both in without the deckie.

give chris a call and work out a plan for next week maybe, especially tuesday/wednesday.

would love to hook a bill fish.

jono.

Hey Jono - great to hear from you mate. #Nice cobes there #;)

Next Wed is looking good for an early morning before work fish...lets see if we can tee something up.

Plenty of fish around at the moment - good water temp (23.7) and plenty of bait around...I would be delighted to have you aboard my boat to chase bills - would be glad for another set of hands! #We just need to pick our weather.

Keep in touch for early next week...
Matt
Playtime
0417 577 136

rollie
18-12-2006, 05:21 PM
;D thats a super catch playtime and great photos.