PDA

View Full Version : pulling plastic Gold Coast 20/12

Jeremy
21-12-2006, 12:55 PM
wanted to get a shot at the little blacks while they are running hot and the weather on Wednesday looked the goods. Bit of a late start due to my deckie missing his alarm, so we launched around 6 am and headed East to the 18s where the lures went in. We had two hardbodies and two pakulas in the spread. Saw some good surface activity after about 30 minutes and both hardbodies were bitten off. Got the spin gear out thinking they were spotties, and pulled a couple of average size striped tuna. Kept going. Went out to the 50 m line and then North zig zagging between 40 and 50 m. Found some good bait schools in about 37 m SE of the 'pin, but only one that looked like it was being worked.

Had a hit on a rapala CD21 (I think) in gold on a baitcaster with 4 kg line, and it was a little black estimated at 15 kg greyhounding across the surface. Got the blood pumping. Got the other lines in and took off after it, but it stayed deep and didn't jump again. Was hard work on 4 kg, and unfortunately after 45 minutes it broke off. I was using about 2 m of 40 lb leader and a check of the line showed abrasion - may have been tail wrapped which would explain the longer than expected fight.

Worked the same area for another couple of hours, before we pulled the lines in and worked the same depth East of Surfers for a couple more hours. Saw heaps of striped tuna, but no more hits on the lures.

Was a very nice day on the water. Seabreeze finally got one right! Still around 10 knots when we came in around 2.30 pm.

Jeremy

bidkev
21-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Nice report Jeremy. Seems bloody hard work keeping 'em on 4 kilo line only to have 'em tail the 40lb leader.........there's always another day eh?

kev

Jeremy
21-12-2006, 02:00 PM
the rapala was intended for a tuna or small wahoo. Didn't plan to be fighting a billy on 4 kg!

Jeremy

rollie
21-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the report