PDA

View Full Version : A few trout

devocean
27-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Finally the weather came good and we got out to hit up a few trout and crays. Quick trip 14km offshore to a close island which held plenty of trout but the crays were plentiful but small. Still managed several good sized ones anyway.

The trout were thick and it was pick and choose in some cases. Highlight of the trip was helping a bloke who had hooked a big fish but it had him bricked up in a cave. I asked him if he wanted me to go down and check it out. So I did and found myself face to face with a 15kg Cod which then proceeded to follow me to the surface.

The cod was released. Anyway a quick taste of what was collected.

devocean
27-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Just to clarify I did not spear the cod he just followed me up which was quite daunting as he looked bloody huge underwater. Also encounted plenty of mackeral, trevally and even longtail tuna.

Foolish_Chicken
27-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmm..... trout ;D

boyzie
28-12-2006, 07:33 AM
mate good haul there!!!! what island did you dive???

Slient
28-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Nice camo fitout... ;D

devocean
28-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Stoney Island mostly. The camo suit is designed to break up your shape in the water you dont look like one big predator but a school of small fish.
Works a treat on pelagics and trout especially and has increased catch rates for myself. Good to keep stingers away as well and I saw plenty of those

disorderly
28-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Mate do you cover your neck while diving during stinger season and do you see as many stingers at the wider reefs.

cheers Scott

devocean
29-12-2006, 10:20 AM
This time of year I cover every bit of my body as you are constanly swimming through jellys of all types. There are so many types and no matter how hard you cover up you always get stung. I only saw one irikanji on that trip but that was an inclose reef. I have seen jellys even at the outer reefs.

I hate summertime for this reason as you have to gear up in bloody hot conditions. As a result we have a pretty awesome array of chemicals and freswhater on board in case anyone does get stung by a baddy. However half the time you dont know if you have been stung or not by a baddy as they all mostly hurt. Woth the risk though.

By the way stinger suits are pretty much useless against irikanji as they are so small.

Smailesy
29-12-2006, 01:50 PM
top feed there mate