PDA

View Full Version : A DAY OF " FIRSTS " !

rakinray
29-12-2006, 08:32 PM
G /day all just a short report of todays trip, hit the S/ passage around 5,00am for a bumpy trip out, after promising my younger brother that he had a few firsts to get on the board we dropped the lures over. We also had a first for my normal deckie (Dan) we were trying to make sure his new rig (Mustang Tournament 1750 ) was broken in. Ten minutes into the run and my rod takes off, my brother steps up to the plate and he is On ! We thought it was a Hoo but to our amazement out leaps a small Black just 10 mts from the boat ! ( see video in reports) just as i have the leader in one hand and gloved hand within six inches of his bill he pulls the hook (see pic) at least he didnt have to see my bros ugly MUG ! He didnt care if it didnt make it inside the boat he was one happy camper ! (see video ) We managed to pull a nice yellowfin and had two more good strikes with no hook -up ! Things went quite so we decided to have a bit of food and drink while we dropped a few baits on some close in reef, managed to pull a nice grassie and a mixed bag of very colorful throw backs, my other bros in the Whittley pulled a small squire and some of the same. Headed back to the blue stuff and pulled a nice 10 kilo wahoo which just happend to be another First for my brother, with the wind picking up we decided to call it a day but we slowed down enough to drop the lures out at the spot we had got the black earlier and sure enough it happens my rod takes off and im on and it takes its first leap (nice size black) and out pop the hooks. I thought i would just drop it back to see if he wanted some more and within 2 minutes hes on again, but to say i was shattered after a good 5 minute battle, when the line just goes loose was an understatment but thats fishin ! Good day had by all and it sure was better than the sail boat laying on its side in the break zone of the S/ Passage on our way home didnt stop as there was a heap of rescue and police boats doing there stuff. As i said top day and ill be back out next week for another crack !

CHEERS RAY Pics to follow ! Bros boat on the way out !

rakinray
29-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Brothers First Hoo !

rakinray
29-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Fish ID Please ! he went back so dont panick !

rakinray
29-12-2006, 08:37 PM
How would you like to be a LURE !

twodogsfishing
29-12-2006, 09:45 PM
we call those a tomato cod...good eating

bballfisho
29-12-2006, 09:56 PM
nice hoo mate.
those little cod are called black-tip cod from what i know. get heaps of small ones in shallow reefy areas but when they get bigger they are real good to eat.

rakinray
29-12-2006, 10:27 PM
G/ day all thanks for the fish id, ive been trying to post the videoof our capture but its too hard, might try again tomorrow

CHEERS RAY

liberty
30-12-2006, 05:40 AM
Nice Hoo! Tough luck on the black.

marty+jojo
30-12-2006, 07:44 AM
:'(

DaneCross
30-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Top stuff Ray, congrats on your day of firsts ;D Hope you get the video up :-/ Was the bent hook the reason for the dropped black?

trout3030
30-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Black tipped reef cod or we call them footballer cod. Very hard to get a legal one these days with the legal size of all cod at 38cm. Great eating if you can get a legal one though.

Big_Ren
30-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Top report Ray....can't beat a day a "firsts". Better luck on the blacks next time. You still have plenty of time left in the season ::).

Cheers
Paul

rakinray
30-12-2006, 04:08 PM
VANU4pPTrwl

webby
30-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Come on mate get your act together, whats ;Dwith all the blank screens ;D
Dont worry my usb port has decided it wont accept anything also ;D
regards

rakinray
30-12-2006, 05:17 PM
G/ day all thanks for the replies just carnt get the video to work so im going to give up ! Hey Dane good to hear from you the pic of the bent hook was from the small black that swam off just as i put my hands on him at the boat good enough for me ! The other one was a bit bigger and he just threw the hooks TWICE ! Ill be back for him.

CHEERS RAY :) Pic of my brother fighting his first black !

rakinray
31-12-2006, 11:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/v/VANU4pPTrwl

Sportfish_5
31-12-2006, 02:03 PM
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Well done Ray - someone a bit heavy handed on the leader ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

rakinray
31-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Thanx for the reminder Greg ! At least he swam off with no harm done and my brother claimed him already so it was all good ! i guessed him to be around the 25 to 30 kilo mark, the first for the season. Did anyone hear anymore about the yacht we passed on its side in the middle of the South Passage ?

CHEERS RAY :)

vertico
31-12-2006, 05:29 PM
how was the bar ? northern or amity channel ?
I went out that way but had to call the trip short.
Northern channel was nasty and messy but the amity was workable.

rakinray
31-12-2006, 06:04 PM
G/ day mate, always use the Amity side, it was a bit lumpy but not to bad right on high tide, but it is very shallow at the moment on low .

rakinray
01-01-2007, 10:42 AM
G/ day all finally got the video working on the VIDEO section didnt get as much of the fight as we would have liked but its a start to my media career ! not !