PDA

View Full Version : Swains in Feb

rusco
24-12-2006, 05:45 AM
Never been out to the reef this early in the year before...Always from April til November......Any ideas on what will be out there mid feb to march..Will water temp be a problem? Any info appreciated.

rusco 8-)

redspeckle
24-12-2006, 10:35 AM
I am not trying to be smart here but you want to go in the cyclone season #this is the period where get most of the cyclones of year off the Queensland coast and #they cross it as well #personally I wouldn't going until April #not worth the risk
you are long way off the mainland out there
You might be Lucky out there no cyclones turn up
Mitch :)

devocean
25-12-2006, 07:28 PM
No offence but April is still pretty much cyclone season. 2006 has seen plenty of wind all year so I have no idea what the weather will be like xcept it will be hot as hell. You may encounter bigger tides but water temp should be okay.

rusco
26-12-2006, 06:25 AM
Thanks guys...I realise its cyclone season...thats one chance I may have to take...dont know yet. I think we've only had one or two trips without wind...this year at easter was no exception...BUT back to the points...Water temp ok... Whats around...mackeral,tuna up top and the usual redthroats etc down under?? Dont particularly want to be hauling in half cooked fish
Thanks for the info
Rusco 8-)

rusco
27-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks wahoooo..this will be my 7th trip to the swains...Some good some not so..but I love it out there

rusco 8-)

mariner_22
30-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Hey rusco

Mate i hope you have a crackin trip out there im headin up there in July cant wait. Will be my third trip out there and have to say its a great place to fish i haven't been let down yet. Back to your question i went out there late october and had a cracking trip with plenty of pelagics and bottom fish to keep you entertained. The only thing i can say was that the sharks seemed more active then usual and we also had a few afternoon storms but nothin serious

canman
03-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Dont know about feb . Pulled one hundred and fifty lives(trout) 346KG OF DEAD trout and about 230kg of mixed reef fish. Finga stalls hand lines sore hands and not much money for my efforts

grahams
04-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Pretty sure the fishing would be very good. we fish the coast and out to 50 miles, adjacent to th swains. January and Feb are generally our best months for reef fish. not sure on pelagics. Weather in feb is either absolutely terrible or perfect. Generally you get enough notice on cyclones to keep out of their way.

rusco
04-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the replies

rusco 8-)