PDA

View Full Version : gc seaway

goldfish
07-01-2007, 07:01 PM
does anyone have a rough idea how long the seaway at the goldcoast will be as rough & dangerous as it is at the moment. does the sand pumping jetty have anything to do with the postioning of the sand bar ect
cheers
rick
(impulse) :-?

Chaos
08-01-2007, 02:18 PM
will continue to be like this for a while mate till someone dredges it out. cannot see this happening in the near future though. just be cautious when crossing the bar and stick close to the south wall and dont go through the middle like i have seen some boats do on an outgoing tide. otherwise wait for a few boats to cross and find the best path. best of luck

goldfish
08-01-2007, 05:30 PM
thanks chaos
i'm still learning to cross bars. i have a 30ft cruiser that is a bit under powered at the moment only 8knt (15knt with a clean hull) but only 8knt now. so would it be safe for me to try the sth wall to get out & in or would it be wiser for me to be paiant and wait. i went out through the middle on new years day (wasn't nice) and came back through near the sth wall at about 4knt & wasn't too bad. but i was very nervese
any help would be great
cheers
rick

cracker
09-01-2007, 07:27 AM
goldfish, for the last week there has been an easterly swell which was getting up to 3.5 metres, which is slowly decreasing at the moment. so heres a description of whats happening, the seaway faces east, and we've got a easterly swell , and moving west coming straight into the seaway, so if we,ve got a run out tide with water rushing out of the seaway with that swell pushing in over that run out water, you get big rolling and breaking waves on the seaway, now that swell will still be consistent even if you put northerly or southerly winds on it, the seaway just turns into a washing machine with waves forming and dropping quickly, if you draw it on some paper it will make more sense. otherwise pick your tides and the wind you go out in, the run in tide will always be a lot smoother, hope this helps goldfish all the best

goldfish
10-01-2007, 06:33 PM
hi cracker
thanks for that, i think it makes sence. i will try the sth rock wall in a week or 2 on the raising tide and let you know how i went (other wise you will see me on the news lol) (hope not) ;D
thanks again every bit of info makes me a little better and safer for all on board
cheers
rick

Burley_Boy
29-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Top of the tide is usually the flattest it will get.

Burley_Boy
01-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Yesterday morning looked like this at the GC Seaway. 1hr before top of the tide. So flat I came back through the pin bar and thats the first time I've come through there. Had 4,5M under me at all times and no swell to speak of!

ShaneC
01-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Goldfish,
The VMR guys are a great source of info. While the seaway isn't the worst bar in the area, it does claim a few from time to time. The VMR guys cross it all the time for training and jobs, and they will always point you in the right direction if you are a bit iffy about going over the seaway. They will advise you the best times each day to go over it with regard to your vessel and the Seaway tower will keep an eye on you in case things don't go as planned.
Give them a call when you plan an outing, well worth it.

Shane