PDA

View Full Version : Berleying

jtpython
04-01-2007, 06:21 PM
I have been using berley for a long time now and have been getting some great results, So when i eye'd off the wife's new food processor the bells started ringing in my head. Using the prawn heads and shells from xmas and the underbelly's off the last couple of catches and that old bait in the bottom of the freezer , i have managed to come up with a beautifully done fine mixture that works unbelieably good, apart from the fact the wife frowns about me using it , it is a great way for bottom fishing . What do you use?

Wayne_Red
04-01-2007, 08:32 PM
I don't understand it, you think they would be happy that we are providing a feed for the family. It's not like we are putting old smelly pillies that have been out too many times through it (not when they are looking anyway)

I use unused bait, fish frames, old bread, prawn/crab shells, chook meal etc. Anything I can get and chuck it in the bait freezer. Then i have a session and thor it all out, chop it up and mix it all up in a fish box.

I use 90 or 100mm pvc pipe cut into lenghts about 500mm long. Cover one end with a plastic bag and tap it on with electrical tape, then fill them up and stand them in the freezer. I make about 20 at a time.

Take half a dozen with me on a trip, chuck one or two into a catch bag at a time depending on the amount of burly I want out the back and hang it off the back bollard. They take about 20-30 mins to thor.

Constant burly, works a treat.
Thanks Bear (brbear), your idea.

Regards Wayne

somescott
04-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Nice work on the processor, Your xmas gift to her i take it????

I'm still using the old faithful hand mincer.

I can only suggest one more thing, its a shame the food processor isn't built for it, but i like to mix some coarse sand amongst the berley. It helps getting the berley down there and quicker, especially where there is a bit current.

jtpython
04-01-2007, 10:00 PM
There are some great idea's . We found putting the old bread crumbs in the packeted box works well in the mix. I use a small clip lid bucket with a 2kg weight inside that i use a circular clip that goes onto the anchor rope once we have anchored up tied with a handline, so that i can retrieve it every hour or so and replenish it. Being of finer substance putting it thru the food processor gets get dispursement. And no i didn't but this one for xmas sheesh if i used her brand new one i'd be living in my boat ;D
I do find if you give the blades on the processor a hit with the sharping stone helps iron out the prawn shells if they are a bit hard. Once the berley has been thru the processor into large snap lock bags so when out fishing it's easy to replensh the berley bucket.

copie
04-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi all and happy new year. Well i use much the same method as you all have'nt tried the processor yet but yes a great idea.

If i am short of old bait this is my recipe. Chook pellets, black and gold or no name cat food (very cheap) tuna oil, mix it all together in a bucket. obtain some 2 litre soft drink bottles and cut them off 1/2 to 3/4 tall pack the mix in fairly tight and then freeze.

Place 1 or 2 into an onion bag hung over the back of the boat each side works a treat.

pittymick
05-01-2007, 05:45 AM
i just get my crew to eat chicken pellets and mince, some pillys and squid wash it down with some anaseed oil and way we go just slap,m on the back every 20min #;D ;D

Noelm
05-01-2007, 07:17 AM
never been a "fan" of heaps of burley, seems to attract crap to the boat, prefer to use small pieces of whatever I am using for bait like cut Pilchards, also don't use the burley pot at all now, unless for Sharks, prefer to drop over by hand, then you can stop whenever you want to, like if bloody mutton birds come around, or even if an "unwanted" shark shows up, you can stop instantly, unlike a pot where crap continues to come out, not saying it is for every one, but best for me, for Yellowfin when cubing, you cannot beat "hand" burley.

seapup
05-01-2007, 08:35 AM
I USE SMASHED UP SPANNER CRAB SHELLS WITH CUBED PILLIES. THE WEIGHT OF THE SHELL GETS THE BURLEY DOWN THE WATER COLUMN IN DEEPER WATER WHEN THE CURRENT IS RUNNING. WORKS EVERYTIME AS WHEN WE PULL THE FISH UP ON THE DECK THEY ARE ALWAYS COUGHING UP SHELL!

madman1
09-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Mr Bean uses a garden mulcher!

outsiderskip
09-01-2007, 12:31 PM
2 hp garden mulcher
do heap quick

marlinqld
09-01-2007, 02:03 PM
i just cube ne pillies or mullet or squid when out on the boat.

sometimes put a pile in a brownn paper bag, tie it up with rubber bands, lower it down on me bottom bashing rig. by the time it gets to the bottom, the bag is useless, 3 hard strikes on the rod and the bag disintegrates, lets the berley loose at the depth your fishing

Mike

jtpython
09-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Brilliant idea's there guy's thanks for the input. We fish in 70 to 90 foot of water so we tend to lower our berley bucket on a ring down the anchor rope so it's on the bottom, like Noelm said berleying on the top sometimes attract the wrong type's to the boat. Usally the busted ass sucker shark, That love to demolish a beautifully set up pilchard floating in the current.

Glenn_Woods
12-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Heres an idea i heard a couple of days ago. A mate fills some empty beer cans with berly and freezes them. Takes a few when he goes out wide and attaches one to his drop sinker below his 2 hooks with lighter line from the ring tab. Cuts 4 slots lenghtways down the can and slightly spreds the cuts to allow the berly to dispers. He lowers one down when the fishing slows down. The berly is right at his hooks.

Woodsy

Cammy
13-01-2007, 12:01 AM
i dont know if that pic is reel or not i think it is, its a really good shot

cam ;)

lee8sec
13-01-2007, 08:16 AM
I use a in-sink-arator mounted to a old sink that i use for filleting on. Comes out like thick soup. Leigh

magik
09-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Hey has anyone ver thought of getting some video footage by strapping an underwater camera to their burley bomb. I want to get one but i'm not sure if the fish would come close enough to the burley bucket to feed also worried a shark will eat my investment, i'd be interested to know if anyone has tried it???