PDA

View Full Version : GC Marlin surprise

Scarey
13-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Took my brother out for the first time in the new boat off the GC to try and put some spotty/spanish fillets in the freezer. We headed out at a respectable 5.20am from the ramp to see what was happening in close. The plan was to tow some halcos and try and nail a mack or 2, then head out wider and put out some skirts to try and connect him up to a billy. Got to the mack spot, lots of birds and heaps of bait and only one other boat in sight. We found a really nice ball of bait flitting around on the surface which then went deep, trolled right through it (no time for niceties) and one of the halcos gets hammered right on cue. Mike grabs the rod, I'm thinking about clearing the others and getting the esky ready and a bloody bill emerges from the water, with a marlin attached and our hardbody in its gob! I've heard that a few billys are falling to hardbodies these days so not unheard of, but we thought it was great! After about 10-15min of fight Mike has his first marlin on board of around 18kgs (see pickie). You beauty! We then reset the lures expecting a mack, found some nice bait again, right on cue one of the other rods really screams off and lo and behold, another marlin jumping all over the place! After a good 35mins we boat our second at around 30kgs. We trolled around for a while longer with 2 more misses (think they were macks) and went wide, putting out the teaser and skirts. Had one bust off (don't know what) and a wahoo swallow another skirt at the side of the boat and we were in by 11.00am. No fillets, but a great day had by all. Hope the pick comes out (first post)

Cheers Scarey

Gator
13-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Good effort. It's nice when a plan comes together.

outwide1
13-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Weldone scary,what depth were you fishing in??A mate of mine went out of the seaway today only to get a couple wahoo.Top effort.Congrats on your first post and look forward to reading more.mick

Scarey
13-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks Mick, only in 25-27m. Did seem a bit quiet on the radio. Cheers

mad_keen_fisherkid
13-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Nice Marlin m8. Congrats ;)

DaneCross
13-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Great stuff scarey, especially considering the conditions today, that northerly blew all night :( I reckon if I was hooking marlin in close I probably would've stayed there, did it go quiet :-?

outwide1
13-01-2007, 07:28 PM
We were gettin some good fish up there near the pinbar in that depth about 2 weeks ago aswell with a heap of wahoo mixed in.

Scarey
13-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah, went quiet and we wanted to try for a dollie or a tuna but no luck

uripper
14-01-2007, 05:00 AM
Scarey
Nice one. Had a sizeable billie take off with my favourite mac lure ("Makka" metal spoon type, silver one side, rainbow coloured other side, 2 x 10/0 parallel hooks, approx 6” long) only 15-20 metres off the back of the boat a couple of weeks ago, apparently ignoring 3 skirts & a Halco in the pattern - couldnt believe it. Two jumps at 90degrees to our direction of travel - twang !! Go figure ....
Mal M

Frank_Oostenbroek
14-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Well Done Scarey,

If you are going to break in the new boat, I could not think of a better way to do it.

You can get Mackeral anytime, but the Billies are fantastic..

Frank OO

lattic
14-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Well done mate, I cant wait to get amongst that myself. Nice effort, isnt it great when all goes to plan.

Muz