PDA

View Full Version : Quiet morning off the Cape Fri 12/01/07

uripper
13-01-2007, 07:05 AM
There seems to be a lack of "offshore" reports so thought I'd post this - maybe it could generate some discussion on why ??
---------------------------------------------------------------

Trolled Cape-Flinders-Hutchies from sunrise with variety of hardbodies & skirts for one Yellowfin (double hook-up, other busted 8kg mainline). No birds working, stuff all bait schools /balls but good conditions & nice morning with No2 son – beats working huh? #Bottom fished a number of small shows later but nothing happening. #Approx 8-10 other boats in area apparently doing no better. #Feed of Sushi tonight with a cold ale, mmmm….

Tight Lines - MalM

PS Halco Laser Pro (red&white) strikes again

PPS #anyone know where I can find a store that may stock “Makka” lures please ?? (metal spoon type, silver one side, rainbow coloured other side, 2 x 10/0 parallel hooks, approx 6” long) - lost my last one to a good size black last time outside - never had a black touch a metal lure before?? :o

kevy
13-01-2007, 10:59 AM
fished wide of the cape thursday morn. 11/ 1/ 06. no birds, no surface activity, lots of boats trolling huchies, flinders, etc. didn,t see much doing there. finished up with a few pearlies in sloppy conditions, at least a feed to take home, maybe better luck next time. cheers, kevy. :) :)

Frank_Oostenbroek
14-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Uripper,

It appears that most of the pelagic fish are east of the Cape. There are a few big Bait Balls approximately 4 Kms north of Hutchies but not too many fish.(Except Stripies and Sharks).

I also think that the snapper have gone deep. Spangled Emperor are there in reasonable numbers but I have only ever caught them on Soft Plastics.

Well done on the YFT. I haven't seen one this year.

Frank OO

BAR_UP
14-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Gday uripper, your boat looks like a Southwind ub580. I have ub520 Platinum, great fishing boat but no cover from the sun yet. Havent made up my mind on Targa or Bimini. Keep up the posts regards "BAR UP".

uripper
15-01-2007, 05:59 AM
Frank OO
Thanks for the tip - will try a bit wider next time if the eastern ridges of the Cape-Hutchies reefs dont produce - maybe the lack of rain is having an effect as well - the whole mangrove/estuary/bay/reef food chain seems depleted at the moment - reading posts & talking to others indicates most have to work really hard for a fish - maybe a good wet would kickstart the whole system again.
Cheers, MalM

uripper
15-01-2007, 06:16 AM
BAR UP
yeah ... UB580 1999model with forward console that enabled a bimini configuration (pic attached) - she's no glamourpuss speedster (only 70HP) but a great sea boat / fishing platform - trolled Cape area a couple of weeks ago in 18-22knts (actual BOM readings) quite safely though a little uncomfortable (billie took my "Makka") :'(
MalM