PDA

View Full Version : Beat-Up Dollie

Frank_Oostenbroek
14-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Ben, Steve and I left for the Cape yesterday morning to see if we could catch something else besides a Marlin.

We had the skirts in the water by 05:30 and trolled all the way to Shallow Tempest and found a couple of nice “Dollies.

The main reason for the post is to show you another Beat-up Fish. Notice that the marks are present even before we got her into the boat.

We were going to release her but with all those marks on her we decided to “Knock her on the head” so to speak.

Ben also released three Marlin and two wahoo very quickly. I told you he was a conservationist. As soon as the Marlin took their first Jump they actually released them selves. The Wahoo were a little greedier. They actually took the skirts as well.

Oh by the way, Ben’s spool underneath all that Sensor braid is still really shiny. If you catch a really big fish with a plastic and three hundred meters of brand new line, Please call Ben.

Frank OO

Frank_Oostenbroek
14-01-2007, 07:11 AM
Close-Up

Frank_Oostenbroek
14-01-2007, 07:11 AM
Dollie 2

Frank_Oostenbroek
14-01-2007, 07:12 AM
Steve

scoota
14-01-2007, 08:23 AM
What do you think the marks are Frank?

Spawning season love bites :-?

Good to see ya into some quality fish again ;)

Scoota...

Frank_Oostenbroek
14-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Hi Scoota,

I must admit I have not been posting my fish for the last few months but decided that I would share some posts to give something back to the site rather than just use the information.

Here are some photos of two Marlin that bear similar marks.

Every year I see the bait balls being ferociuosly attacked by sharks. I wonder if in the process of attacking the bait that sometimes the sharks rough skin doesn't rub against other fish that are also attacking the same bait ball??????????

Frank OO

Frank_Oostenbroek
14-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Another

canman
14-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Could they be fish that have hit the deck b4 then released?

Maria
14-01-2007, 06:53 PM
I dare say those marks aren't consistent with hitting the deck then being released. Even quite active fish like tuna who thrash around violently when brought onboard rarely sustain flesh wounds like that.

Going by the scratch marks on the dolly just behind its head, I'd say it's had a run in with a shark. Then again I'm not a marine scientist - just my thoughts.

Interesting though.

Cheers

Benno

Big_Ren
14-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Should have posted a pic of Ben's shiny spool Frank ;D. And a video would have been even better :o The dolly is a beauty ;)...a big cow

So ;DI take it Ben went a donut........ow. Hopefully he will do better in our barra challenge next month,

Still by the sounds of it, you scored a feed.

Cheers
Paul

murf
16-01-2007, 08:07 AM
very interesting the marks on the fish, its the first I have seen or heard of it with that amount of damage.

I love the photo of Dollie 2 its a top shot capturing the colour.

Cheer Murf