PDA

View Full Version : Wide of Mooloolaba

Big_Ren
14-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Vinny, Navi and I originally intended to tow some skirts off Mooloolaba but only after getting some table fish..as our supplies of fresh fish were low. :o

Our main problem was that we got carried away with the reefies..some reasonable pearlies, snappery squire and other mixed contributers all came aboard...but kept us way way behind schedule in terms of our planned trollimg mission. We persisted until almost lunchtime and were reasonably happy with our efforts despite battling a raging current. :-/

We had called our last drop mid morning when Navi's butterflied yakka offering was inhaled. 10 minutes later saw a nice cobe join the boat, despite at least 2 FUBAR gaffing attempts by Vin.

A good day all in all.

Cheers
Paul

Big_Ren
14-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Lining up for the first failed "pricking"

Big_Ren
14-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Still not gaffed but close enough to photograph ;D

Big_Ren
14-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Going hard...

Big_Ren
14-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Cobe....

Big_Ren
14-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Last one..

Big_Ren
14-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Vin also got a smaller cobe and a fair pearlie or two...

reef_king
14-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Nice cobe ,mate :)

jackson_4300
14-01-2007, 10:45 PM
well done great trip, whereabouts did u guys head out to?

a
15-01-2007, 09:24 AM
very nice cobe and the cond looked alright??? that pic wth the rod bending in half was that on the cobe? looks more like aj territory.....

Fixation
15-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Hey Paul,

Looks like it was a good day out there. Sounds like a few hit the ice, well done. What was the wind and current like?

Regards,
Craig.

Big_Ren
15-01-2007, 11:11 AM
very nice cobe and the cond looked alright??? that pic wth the rod bending in half was that on the cobe? looks more like aj territory.....

Scott, the bent rod was on the cobe mate. Vinny got him angry by pricking him with the gaff a couple of times ;D I think we'll use the smaller gaff next time. Conditions were okay, joggly at times, especially heading back into that north-easterly to start another drift. Current was running hard though and we left the sea anchor at home :-[

Ty, thanks mate.....I am still dirty I couldn't make it for a trip on the Coastal Cat. Hope you had a great trip.....next time mate.

Jackson4300....we were in between the Barwon Banks proper and Mooloolaba 18 Mile.

Craig.......wind was a genuine 10-15 NE/NW with occasional gusts to 20......current was fishable earlier in the day but graduated to "raging". I tried fishing placcies for a while but just didn't have a heavy enough jig head. Even the 230g knife jig struggled to reach bottom.

Cheers
Paul

bigmack
15-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi Paul - Bob & I clobbered a few good macs yesterday. Biggest went nearly 5 kilo's

I was going to give you a call too!

Phill

Big_Ren
15-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Next time Phill....next time....Scott (Armoz) scored a nice eating size spano. Good to see there are still a few about.

Cheers
Paul

bigmack
15-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Paul - they are just starting!!!!

The thing I like about macs - is that they are easy to fillet, they then fall aprt into easy to use chunks, the rib bones are very shallow and easy to flick out and we cook the backbones for the dog - so nothing gets wasted. The pellicans and black shags eat the heads and tails and anything else. The other week though a bloody big bream with a blue nose came in and grabbed a mack tail and charged off - that was funny to see - trophy pickings in the mouth of a black bream.............One day I will have to organise to come out with you!

PD

Big_Ren
15-01-2007, 03:11 PM
For sure Phill.....we will arrange.

Cheers
Paul

black_sheep
15-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Paul,

Thanks again for the great day out mate. Please thank Wendy for doing such a sterling job on packing the fillets and providing dinner. One good thing is that leaving your place at 9pm - we missed the traffic back to brissy ;D ;D

BTW - you and Vin should take a lesson from that one pic of my rod buckled over. Notice NO "high sticking" :D ;D Also no broken rod :o :o

Will get that trolling trip in soon as I need to break my marlin virginity.

Thanks again mate.

Big_Ren
15-01-2007, 04:00 PM
It's all good Nav....anytime mate. As for the high sticking, after Vin "modified" his Sic Stick :D(there's another broken one Craigie if you're reading this), I thought the Calstar was in trouble when Vin borrowed it, and remind me to attach a big float to that gaff ;D

Cheers
Paul

jake_snapper_king
15-01-2007, 04:26 PM
nice check out my CAT
TRIP

nice cobia

shane_wright
15-01-2007, 04:33 PM
nice cobies fellas

indy
15-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Well done paul and crew we also found the current to be running fairly quickly out wide caloundra but it seemed to slow down around 10ish which was good allowing our burley to do its thing.

cheers pete...

capt._mud
15-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Hey Big - Ren............

Don't worry about the cobe!

That's a very good quality pearlie mate.....

What did it weigh?

Regards............. Capt. Mud.

caloundra
15-01-2007, 09:30 PM
well done Paul and crew
thats a nice size cobe there :o
yeah they don't like it when you tickle them with the gaf ;)

Daniel

Big_Ren
16-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Pete...thanks for that.....I thought the current was supposed to be quite fishable furing the week....I was planning on using placcies out there, but couldn't get them down anywhere near where I wanted them to be.

Capt Mud.....scored a few pearlies that size....probably around 2-3kg.

Daniel....the 3in gaff would have been much better than the 4. Poor Vin got the fish in a headlock a couple of times with the gape ;D Was quite funny after the event but would have been tears all around if the fish was lost.

Cheers
Paul

Sea-Captain
17-01-2007, 08:24 PM
beats working anyday - good on ya