PDA

View Full Version : Wide Bay Bar - found an expensive FAD

Reefmaster
15-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Howdy all,
Just had a quick trip out from the Wide Bay Bar, which produced a good variety of fish such as Red Emperor, Pearlies, loads of Maori Cod, Moses Perch, Parrot and Hussar all caught from the closer in grounds. Had the Oldman and Foxy (dfox) aboard and went wide in the afternoon and found an upturned Cat about 26 foot long with motors still attached out near the shelf. It looked like it had been in the water for a fair period of time with amount of growth on it and also by the large amount of fish life around it. Some big Bull Dolphin fish were hanging around but you couldn’t get a bait near them with out all the other small fish picking the bait to pieces. The Cat was on the edge of a very strong current line and was heading south at a fair speed in the current. Details were passed onto Coast Guard who were going to then pass onto the police for further investigation. That was about as much excitement we had out wide as the current was ragging and the Northerly wind started to blow 15-20 knots making it un-fishable. We headed back in to the closer grounds and anchored up for the night catching a few reefies to keep us amused. Plenty of Container ships and sloppy seas made it hard for a good sleep before returning to an area out the front of the bar early in the morning for some School and Spottie Macks on slugs. Sorry didn’t take a lot of pics and have kept the good ones for BnB.

Regards Greg

Reefmaster
15-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Foxy with one of many good sized Maori Cod caught

Reefmaster
15-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Pearl

Reefmaster
15-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Ran into a few of these buggers. This fella ended up wrapping himself into 3 different lines and finally was raised on the 3rd line after braking the other 2 off.

Reefmaster
15-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Foxy with a 3kg parrot. This fella was very light in colour while another one i caught at the same size was dark green in colour.

aussiefool
16-01-2007, 06:55 AM
some really nice fish there mate ... sounds like a good trip out.

now what way did you say that cat was driffting???

StevenM
16-01-2007, 07:12 AM
Greg

Some nice fish as usual

Be interesting if the cops or anyone comes back to you re the Cat

Cheers

Steven

madman1
16-01-2007, 08:04 AM
How hard is it to get out of the Wide Bay Bar as me and a few mates are considering a trip in June for a few days?

How far out do you need to go to get a good feed?

Looks like a good trip

Keep it up.

Cheers

Mark

Fixation
16-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Hey Greg,

Must have been interesting to find that cat out there. Wouldn't have been fun finding it in the dark though. Sounds like a good trip. Looks like conditions were pretty good. Love the pics.

Regards,
Craig.

DaMaGe
16-01-2007, 09:49 AM
wow, how unique to see an upturned boat floating down the coast.
Nice catch of fish too.

GT_warrior
16-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Hmmmmm...... sad about the cat, I hope all on her are/were ok :-?

8-)

snapperm8
16-01-2007, 10:43 AM
some awsome fish there mate

cheers dave

Big_Ren
16-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi Greg

Imagine that cat drifting into you while you were sleeping :o :o

Some really nice fish again mate. Great to see the maoris....did you get a few of these tasty buggers?

Cheers
Paul

rakinray
16-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Top stuff Greg some top table fish there mate, im still waiting for my invitation for a di trip !

CHEERS RAY :)

reef_king
16-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Top stuff greg and others :). Top cod as well. :)

jimbo59
16-01-2007, 08:26 PM
That cat maybe the one that got blown-out thru the s/p bar 6 months ago

outsiderskip
17-01-2007, 07:15 AM
hi greg
nice catch
would have hated to hit that on a dark night
especially with men in grey suits around

pete

Getout
17-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Just saw that upturned sharkcat on the Sunshine Coast news. It washed ashore this arvo at Coolum beach. Can't believe no-one has identified it. There must be a name or id on it somewhere?

powercatboy
17-01-2007, 07:41 PM
G'day all,

We were sent some pictures today from Powercat to let us know they had found our boat and they were on this forum.

This was my farther's boat and which broke it's anchor at Days Gutter, Moreton Island in September 2005. No one was on the boat. This was during the big storm we had around then with 100k/h winds and massive swells. They wave indicator of Point Lookout was saying about 4m swell.

Powercat told us the boat wouldn't sink unless the hull was damaged, and they were obviously right. It would have only sunk if it hit rocks, which we would of found it a long time ago or it was going to be hit by a ship. We had also heard of another boat a few years before doing the same thing from days gutter and washing up 6 months later on the north coast of NSW.

Luckily for him he was in the process in upgrading to a new model, so it wasn't to long between boats, but unlucky for a friend who was about to buy it.

To the poster, it would be really great if you could email a copy of the photo so we can frame it for him.

leezor
17-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Great story, it's amazing that it travelled up and down the coast for over 12 months and ended up not far from where she was originally lost! Sure am glad no one was injured, out of interest, did your old man buy another cat?

powercatboy
17-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Yeah bought another powercat 3000 with twin 200 suzuki 4strokes. It's great boat.

leezor
17-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Good stuff mate, had a 328 Powercat many years ago, was one of the few boats I actually felt safe in when the weather turned bad. Powercat and Suzuki, what a great combination!!

Lee

Mighty_Quin
17-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Sounds like the cat washed up on the Sunshine Coast. Reports said that it had no motors attached. Mighty_Quin

Marlin_Mike
18-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Was a story in this mornings Courier Mail about it with a picture.

Mike

Marlin_Mike
18-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Apparentlythey found the owner. He said it broke its mooring and was lost during a storm at Kooingal, Moreton Island in September 2005.

Long time to be drifting.

Anyway I bet the insurance company will be interested now they have found it..... i assume at extimated worth of $80K they reported it would have been insured. Your opinion......... you think the insurance company will be interested?

Mike

leezor
18-01-2007, 04:09 PM
I reckon it would of already been paid out, you will probably see it up for auction soon.
Anyone up for "Project Powercat"???

snasman
18-01-2007, 04:16 PM
It made the news this morning aparently its was stolen in 2005 and the police & authoritys believe its been floating around moreton bay since then.

leezor
18-01-2007, 04:23 PM
G'day all,

We were sent some pictures today from Powercat to let us know they had found our boat and they were on this forum.

This was my farther's boat and which broke it's anchor at Days Gutter, Moreton Island in September 2005. No one was on the boat. This was during the big storm we had around then with 100k/h winds and massive swells. They wave indicator of Point Lookout was saying about 4m swell.

Powercat told us the boat wouldn't sink unless the hull was damaged, and they were obviously right. It would have only sunk if it hit rocks, which we would of found it a long time ago or it was going to be hit by a ship. We had also heard of another boat a few years before doing the same thing from days gutter and washing up 6 months later on the north coast of NSW.

Luckily for him he was in the process in upgrading to a new model, so it wasn't to long between boats, but unlucky for a friend who was about to buy it.

To the poster, it would be really great if you could email a copy of the photo so we can frame it for him.

Powercatboys Post

Reel Magic
18-01-2007, 07:22 PM
I heard about that Cat today on the radio,

Apparently washed up at Caloundra or Mooloolaba I think. The police contacted the owner who said the boat had gone missing 2 years ago in a storm at North Moreton Island area.

Cheers Ryan.

powercatboy
18-01-2007, 08:08 PM
G'day all,

My mother went up there today to check it out apparently the boat was still intact untill it hit the beach. Then it lost the hard top and both engines were still attached.

It was absolutely insured with club marine, who were really good about the whole thing, but they did do the full investigation. All up i think it took about six week to payout which was pretty good. The boat was around $115K when we bought it 2nd hand around 2002.

The only thing we ever had left of the boat was the anchor, a bruce. We found the chain leading to it at low tide. At least we have a few more memories of a great boat now.

When i get some photo's of it on the hardstand i'll post.

This is it before and the new one.

powercatboy
19-01-2007, 07:26 AM
some photos of the boat on the beach yesterday at this post.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=103646&page=3

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21082543-3102,00.html

Fishbait
04-02-2007, 08:01 PM
How hard is it to get out of the Wide Bay Bar as me and a few mates are considering a trip in June for a few days?
How far out do you need to go to get a good feed?

Ditto - I'm thinking of doing the same in June for a few days. I'm interested in the bar conditions and how far out for a good feed as well.

Thanks again.

Fishbait:D

Marlin_Mike
05-02-2007, 05:33 AM
IMHO the Wide Bay Bar can be one of the most dangerous and hazardous bars on the East Coast.

Mike