PDA

View Full Version : Windy Wathumba

David_P
14-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Summer in Hervey Bay = hoardes of mac tuna with a few spotties thrown in for the table, or at least that's been our experience in the past. In the past we've headed to Wathumba mid / late November to the first week of December. This year Bob and I headed up on Boxing Day, to camp and fish for 10 days. 10days, should allow for a few lay days if the wind is up, then when conditions allowed, the plan was to head out over the bar to see what could be found. We were particularly keen to find a fish with a stick on it's head.

The run from Urangan to the creek was great, with 5kts. On the way past Awinya Ck we found the Energex chopper on the beach. Not sure what had happened, but hopefully it wasn't too serious. Bob took his 12ft tinnie Wombat, so we could really explore the creek. Both Bob and I had spin sticks with slugs ready to go as we often find fish working on the surface on the run to the creek. We slipped into the creek without finding any fish on the way, unloaded the boat, cracked a can and set up camp.

Later that day a SE change came through that brought wind and rain. Bugger, but we've got plenty of time. Famous last thought that one. From that point on it blew 15-20 se the whole trip, with the odd lull, a few periods of 20-25kts and some rain thrown in for good measure too.

Next morning we headed out the front to search for the expected tuna and mackerel. We cruised north, south and west - then back east to the creek cause we found bugger all. In the coming days we found some tuna up round Rooneys, but the bay in comparison to other summer trips was a desert.

Given the weather and fishing was so slow, we decided to cruise down to Ungowa and Gary's for the night on the 30th. This worked well as our partners we arriving at Urangan on NYE. We found a few flathead and cod in the south, but not much else. We picked up the girls and headed back to Wathumba for NYE. What a great spot to spend NYE :)

This was probably our most disappointing trip on the fish to date. We did get our bag of nannygai, plus a few highlights included the girls getting stuck into the nannygai, Pam who hadn't fished before did particularly well on the nannys, plus nailed a great trevally. Bob and I managed a few bream, whiting, flatties and crabs up the creek and I got my PB SP snapper of 5kg.

All up, a great holiday. Pitty about the weather, as we would have loved to have got outside again but then there is always next time.

Dave.

David_P
14-01-2007, 09:56 AM
typical nanny

David_P
14-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Pam's trevally

David_P
14-01-2007, 09:57 AM
My snapper on SP

David_P
14-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Business end.

David_P
14-01-2007, 09:59 AM
we found this dead whale on the beach about halfway between Rooneys and the creek.

David_P
14-01-2007, 09:59 AM
moving in for lunch

David_P
14-01-2007, 10:00 AM
nanny with mudcrabs for dinner :)

David_P
14-01-2007, 10:01 AM
heading home, Wombat in tow.

Pistol_Pete
14-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Nice photos mate and good snapper....Bugger about the wind... ::)

snapperm8
14-01-2007, 05:38 PM
yer great photos and a beaut of a boat u got there

cheers dave

SeaSaw
14-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Dave,

It was great to get up there for a few days with you guys, even though the wind blew hard the whole time. We enjoyed the fishing even if we had to stay inside. We also had a great laugh back at camp each day. There is nothing more enjoyable than a few beers around the camp fire at the end of the day while you take the pi$$ out of each other. Thanks for the hospitality. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

It does looks like Bob did a much better job of cooking the second time around :-X That snapper looks better in the photo than it did after Bob's secret recipe :o ;D

Those nannies are everywhere around Rooneys. We bagged out on them pretty early in the trip and then couldn't get away from them. They followed us everywhere.

BTW, conditions dont look that bad in the pics .... HTFU :P ;D ;D

Hope to get up there again soon, and next time we'll get outside ;)

Cheers,

Mark

I'll attach a couple of pics from the trip as well.

SeaSaw
14-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Nannies

SeaSaw
14-01-2007, 11:25 PM
and more nannies

SeaSaw
14-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Dave & Bob trying hard with plasics

SeaSaw
14-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Johno feeding the toad fish in the creek

BAIT_MAN
15-01-2007, 07:06 AM
Hey Dave I know now why i cant get you on the phone always fishing.

Shane

David_P
15-01-2007, 07:35 AM
G'day Mark,

Yep, the second time attempt at cooking the fish worked a treat. We got the girls to bring the alfoil to keep the sand out, then took your advice and put coals on top of the fish and left it in for 40 mins. It was superb :)

It was great to have you and Johno along. Definately good fun had by all round the camp fire mate ;D Real bummer about that forecast being so off, but that's fishing. Surprising how good the conditions look in the pics, I thought the same thing. Thanks for your advice, I'll consult Bob on that :D

We gave it one go at a good 25kts and was pretty ordinary. So far as the bar goes, we listened to Nomad (36ft game boat) log on to cross the 13 mile one morning on a run out tide. After an hour there was still no call to say they were through safely and the VMR was getting very worried. They quickly arranged a couple of boats in the Rooneys area to start heading toward the bar for a search. Another half hour passed, then out of the blue they call in. VMR got fair up'em and advised the water police had also been notified. Nomad claims to have lost power to the VHF on the crossing. I guess its feasable though a flash boat like that? Next day or so they were at it again, but out safely. They called in to say that they were staying out a little longer to wait for the rising tide, as the bar was a little "interesting" on the run out. I reckon if they found it interesting then it would have been pretty nasty!

You're right about those nannies. We found smaller ones west of the creek while Bob got the burley going to attract the macs. I'd like to find them in larger sizes, though they still provide a great feed. After an hour + the first schoolie came along. We got a few of those when Bob got a horse to the boat, but someone stuffed the gaff shot and the rest is history

I'll let you know next time I'm heading up that way. Should have been there last week, 10 - 15 se all week, with a 5-10 thrown in too. I know where I would have been if still there. Bugger, but there is next time.

Regards,
Dave.

Big_Ren
15-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Fantastic report Dave and a top looking rig you have.

Cheers
Paul

Nic
15-01-2007, 02:44 PM
"You're taking us pretty close to that dead whale," says I. "We're downwind, right?"
"Yep," says Dave.
"That's a relief," says I, "because... *GAG* *SPLUTTER* *CHOKE*"

Moral: Dave is not to be trusted! ;D

shane_wright
15-01-2007, 04:37 PM
great photos fellas looks like in all a good time

snipe
15-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Hey Johno - if I didnt know better I'd say you look like a prime spud gun target sitting on the back of that boat, dangling your parrot killers in the water - HTFU

Mark - good to meet you guys - was a good couple of days, plenty of laughs, learning about Johno's unique bathing habits and all. Hope we can do it again some time. I will learn some new and excting bush tucker recipes / jungle killing techniques for next time and we will give the fish a bit more of a hurry up.

Dave - bring on the snapper fest

Bob

David_P
16-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks to all for the comments and compliments on the photos and boat. If you want one, give Col at Fisher Boats a call :)

Shane, leave a message after the beep mate and I "will" return your call ;)

Nic, the stench of decaying whale was all part of the eco arm of the trip ::)

Bob - I think you needed to add more sand to that snapper recipe :P

tuna_boy
16-01-2007, 09:10 PM
hey bob, the first kg have your name written all over them! thanks guys had an awsome couple of days,hope we can do it again soon!!!!!!dave if you bring bob next time make shore he has a doubble dose of HTFU!!!!

SeaSaw
17-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Hey tuna boy. About time you showed up around here ;) does that mean I have to start telling the truth now :D

Next time I am bringing along some rolled up newspaper ..... just in case Bob needs some more house training :D :D lol

The Snapper fest sounds like fun ... bring on the good weather

Mark

tuna boy
18-01-2007, 05:43 PM
hey mark,could be fun watching bob catching snapper at snapper fest and ducking from fast propelled spuds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol.......as for the rolled up news papper you gunna need to be a good shot!!!!!!