PDA

View Full Version : Wide Bay Fishing

Lucky_Phill
30-08-2001, 04:27 PM
G'day all regulars and welcome the newbies !

I am heading to Inskip Point in a couple of weeks and intend fishing the area out from the Wide Bay Bar. ??? I've heard a lot of reports that fish get caught N/E of the Bar. Does anyone know this area, and can they enlighten me ????? I have fished the North East Reef system and Wolf Rock area, but the N/E bar area sounds the go !!!!!!

I am fishing on a 6.2 Sportfish, so distance and conditions shouldn't be a problem. Info also on Baits, rigs, bottom structure and species will be helpfull. Thanks

fishbox
01-09-2001, 02:45 PM
G'Day Phil,
I'm not too sure where Inskip point is. If your could tell me the general location i could look it up in my marine atlas ( it is fairly detailed) and send you some GPS marks of the reefs etc that are in the area.
Tight lines.

Fishbox 8)

Ron_Collins
04-09-2001, 05:45 AM
Hi Phill
Bill Corten and I fished the 1996, I think, Faser comp via the Wide Bay Bar. We started with no marks and ended up with heaps. There are a number of reef lines running north-south, and plenty of other more isolated outcrops, plus rubble bottom here and there.

You cannot miss. We worked off a Sunmap and simply went to higher ground shown on the map. One trip was to the shelf - about 72km straight out from the Bar.

If you get very desperate I'll give you a starter GPS point or two, but I'd expect you to blitz the fishing on your own.

It was also best to go in and out via what the locals call the fisherman's gutter - which is much like the Amity Channel at Straddie - only it's close to the beach at Inskip Point. Hope this helps a bit.

Tangles
13-09-2001, 05:23 PM
Hi Phil

I fished out off the Wide Bay Bar on the weekend. Found ground between 10 and 20 km ESE of the Bar. Best fishing in water around 140 to 160 feet deep. Caught Pearl Perch mainly + a snapper, moses perch and parrot. Also lots of juvenile red emperor to 45cm. As Ron Collins states hug Inskip Point on the way across the bar. Found this to be good on the weekend.
Have a good trip