PDA

View Full Version : Target Species

Brian
09-10-2001, 09:57 AM
Howdy all,

I was wondering who sets themselves a personal target for the year and goes out and works to catch that fish. I know each year i set a target and this year is as follows

Flathead 90 cm
Bass 55 cm
Jack 50 cm
Golden Perch 60 cm
Whiting 40 cm

Some i will get some i will not ......... but if i do i reach a personal best of that species and what the hell is fun and a personal challange.

Slates
09-10-2001, 10:45 AM
G'day Brian.
That's a decent year if you reach all your goals!
Personally, I don't really set length (or weight) goals, just try and employ methods I know will work - the big fish are bonuses! ;D
Darren Reid got a golden over 60 cm (I think it could've been 65 cm - but that does sound a lot!) from Lake Eppalock in Vic. There were pics of it getting around somewhere. It was released and I think estimated at 9 kg or so. :o
My best golden was caught in the Loddon in Vic. I think it was a round 3 kg - not weighed or measured.

I tagged a flattie with from the passage that was 83 cm, but pretty lean.

Never caught any big yellowfin whiting, but a mate got a few KG down here that went 52 cm and about 1.1kg (my PB is a poltry 46cm).

My biggest bass is a meagre 45 cm. My little sister has one 48 and she shows me the pic often. :-[ ;)

My best jack was between 45 and 50cm and weighed about 1.8 or 2 kg. Kept the jaws too - they look unreal! ;D

Can't wait to get up there this Nov and have a crack at all of the above again!

Cheers, Slates

Heath
09-10-2001, 03:11 PM
Sure do.

This year it was to catch a Spanish MAckerel, Yellowfin tuna, Wahoo, Snapper 8 Kg +, Mangrove Jack on a lure. So far have got the Spaniard & YF. Am still working on the others. ;)

Brian
09-10-2001, 04:59 PM
Is just a personal things ..... I don't get upset if i don't catch them at least while trying i have fun and lets face it that why we go fishing to relax and have fun ;D ;D

Wassa
10-10-2001, 09:26 AM
G'day Brian,

I don't set targets on weights, length or species, I just go out to have fun. Mind you when I go fishing in the estuary it is usually with bream, lizards and whiting in mind.

I have caught a number of large whiting up around the kilo mark and over......they fight better, pound for pound than anything else in the sea.

We always seem to get amongst the big bream up the Hawkesbury and big lizards are always a bonus, although I chuck the big buggers back these days. Give me one around the 50cm size anyday for eating.

Anyway good luck in your quest.

Yours in fishing.

Wassa