PDA

View Full Version : GPS Software

imported_admin
20-09-2001, 05:50 PM
Have been experimenting with different software for the GPS (Garmin GPS12) and would be interested in other peoples comments and feedback on the software they are using. My main need for the software was to download and backup Waypoints but have found quite a range of software, with a range of features, and am not sure which one to buy.

If you could let me know what you use, cost, features, etc. I would much appreciate your feedback.

Jim_Linden
21-09-2001, 02:50 AM
Ausfish,

Why Buy??

You can have and use a copy of Waypoint+ for nix. It will do everything you have described, and produce a printable plot of your waypoints as well.

I imagine it's one of the ones you've been experimenting with, but if it isn't you can get a copy at:

http://www.tapr.org/~kh2z/Waypoint/

Regards
Jim Linden

imported_admin
21-09-2001, 08:53 AM
Thanks Jim, hadn't seen that one before, will check it out.

Jim_Linden
21-09-2001, 02:45 PM
Steve, - (sorry, I didn't notice your name in the fine print at the bottom of your earlier posting)

Waypoint+ is specifically designed for Garmin and, whilst I haven't yet actually connected it to my own GPS12, many people on other boards have attested to its satisfactory operation. I have used it to plot and print many of my waypoints - I've just got to get around to wiring up the plug to start using it for download/upload.

I assume you are aware of the plugs you can get for around five bucks a throw to connect to the back of your GPS12? If not, let's know and I'll give you the URL. I ordered two of them some time back - they arrived quickly, and are well made - and are a fraction of the price of the real thing.

Regards
Jim Linden

imported_admin
21-09-2001, 05:44 PM
Jim

Yep, got the plugs for $5.00 each and have made up the leads. I had an old PS2 to 9 pin lead here so I just cut the PS2 end off and connected it up to the Garmin plug, works just the same as the $80 leads.

Have downloaded the software you mentioned but haven't had time to play with it yet.

The one I like so far is OziExplorer, made by a guy here in Brisbane, pretty good stuff. Probably got more features than I need, sells for US$75.00. You can download a trial copy at
http://www.oziexplorer.com if you want to have a look at it.

Kerry
22-09-2001, 05:27 AM
Steve, for simple Garmin upload/download of waypoints Waypoint+ will do all that plus other bits and pieces.

There are some others but depends on your requirements/$$ etc. I'll dig them out if you want any more.

Cheers, Kerry.

Heath
26-09-2001, 06:24 PM
Try Oziexplorer, it's got a free demo version, that is all but functional. It will allow you to download, upload and manipulate your points. I've scanned in a map of the Goldcoast & plot my points on it, so I can cut down on double ups etc, & also upload new waypoints that may be of interest off the map.

www.oziexplorer.com

;)

Xfactr
01-10-2001, 12:06 PM
Hi all, I checked out Waypoint+ but also noticed that it is a windows 95 program can you still dowload if you have windows 98??
Cheers

Cremated_Reddog
01-10-2001, 01:04 PM
g'day xfactr, yes mate you can still download it if you have 98. they are concurrent programs.

Xfactr
01-10-2001, 03:30 PM
Thanks Reddog from your prompt reply much appreciated ;D ;D
Cheers

Bear
02-10-2001, 05:18 PM
How ya goin fellas. I'm pretty new to all this computer stuff. Can somebody give me a fairly good rundown on downloads for the Garmin GPS12. I would appreciate any information.

imported_admin
02-10-2001, 06:57 PM
After downloading several programs for the GPS I ended up deciding to buy OziExplorer.

Waypoint+ is fairly good, easy to use, and it is free, but was looking for something with a few more features.

The main reason I decided to go with OziExploer was the ease of use, Australian made, and the amount of features it offers. Although I don't need most of the features now it is handy to have them there in the future and save changing programs later. Being Australian made helped a lot in making my decision.

You can download the programs from the following sites if you wish to check them out-
Waypoint+ http://www.tapr.org/~kh2z/Waypoint/
OziExplorer http://www.oziexplorer.com/

gunna_too
14-10-2001, 04:47 PM
Jim

Yep, got the plugs for $5.00 each and have made up the leads. I had an old PS2 to 9 pin lead here so I just cut the PS2 end off and connected it up to the Garmin plug, works just the same as the $80 leads.

Hi Ausfish,
Just wondering if Leads or Plugs are available to suit Garmin GPS126 and where I can get them from??
Also where do you connect into your PC ???, What type of Plug?.
At the momement I have too many waypoints in the unit I'm not sure of ,so wanting to download onto my PC so I can look at them all at liesure and get rid of the rubbish and then just upload the usefull stuff back into the GPS unit. Is this the sort of thing you guys are talking about?

Heath
14-10-2001, 05:40 PM
Your out of luck. The plugs that are sold via Pfranc etc for $25.00 etc are only 4 pin plugs, the Garmin 126 has 7 pins. I know, cause I have one & this was the problem I faced. I ended up finding out that a 7 pin din plug would fit the unit, if you filed down the outside diameter of the 7 pin din plug. BUT the pins are slightly out of whack, and you end up with a very bent pin 1 on the GPS unit. It will work, but Pin 1 is the positive power pin, so if it were to snap when straightening you are stuffed. Garmin want $50.00 + for the bloody plug and cable. You still then have to connect the power source plugs and serial connector on. One day hunting around at work, I came accross a 7 pin round din plug, except it was the type that could be male or female, depending what pins were inserted into the holes, not like the other Din plugs that are 1 moulded unit( Dicksmiths sell these types of plugs, so they are no good). These types of plugs fit perfectly into the Garmin 126, of couse filing down the outside diameter so it will fit. I connected up 3 pin audio cover so that the wires are protected on the din plug. I used an old Nokia phone charger which is regulated 12 V out 500ma. I have this running through a small plastic box that has a switch for power as well as a 500 ma fuse. Finally a 9 pin "D" serial connector & BOBs your uncle.....
Have I confused the hell out of you yet??

I can send you a pic if you like

gunna_too
15-10-2001, 05:01 PM
G'day Heath,
Thanks for the reply. The 7 pin DIN plugs you mention,are they the audio type din plugs or a different smaller type as I have a few Din plugs floating round the place. Or are you talking about a PC type Din Plug ???
Cheers Gunna.

Heath
16-10-2001, 07:04 AM
7 pin Din type ( Audio / PC they are all the same). The mini Din plugs are way too small. ;)