PDA

View Full Version : Murray cod bans

Rumpig
16-10-2001, 03:52 PM
Gidday, I noticed the post on the ban on catching Murray cod just before I left for a trip to the Murray river. So I changed my target to golden perch and carp (I ended up with 1 cod, 1 perch and 1 carp all released (the carp was released dead in the shrimp tin ;D))
Anyway, I brought up this temorrary ban with my mate on a slow cruise up the sand bar and by the end of the trip we both agreed that there should be a complete ban on springers (setlines) in the murray
I think the cod are far to preciouse a resourse to have as a food fish. Last time I went to the Murray (Easter) I saw numerous cod 30 in total caught by 2 seperate groups all on springers (set lines) although it was perfectly legal I still think it was wrong that people can just set lines out for days, when a fish gets hooked it has no chance to escape (very little). The bloke who 'catches' the fish gets about as much pleaseure from this as if he/she bought it from a fish shop.

So why does this go on? It's not doing the economy any good, wiping out a premiere species like this, the people who do it don't exactly boost our economy by buying a couple of meters of cord a sinker and some hooks.

I think that springers should be banned before there is a blanket ban on the species when the population is almost extinct

Mick

Slates
17-10-2001, 05:53 AM
Roger that Mick!
My thoughts exactly!
Many setlines are forgotten and the cod are left to die. :'(

It's time the meatos were banned from "harvesting" this great sportfish.

Cheers, Slates

Simon
17-10-2001, 06:02 AM
Couldn't agree more.
Set lines isn't fishing and springers are criminal as you cannot release undersize or oversize fish without inflicting serious damamge that will eventually result in the fishes death.

i encourage everyone who comes across unattended set lines to put them where they belong, into the rubbish.(in a way where they can't hurt any other animal either)

Cheers Simon

Rumpig
17-10-2001, 12:14 PM
I am pleased to see that I am not the only one who thinks that setlines should be banned, but what I want to know is what can I do to help? It's very well for me to have a blow-up on here but who should I write to get heard?

Mick

heaney
17-10-2001, 01:06 PM
i'm with Simon, setlineing should not be called fishing as fishing is a sport in which people that take it seriously think about the future and are responsible for their actions, anyone that participates in setlining cannot call themselves true fisherman and are endangering this species that many hardworking people are trying to protect and in many cases killing undersized fish, this practice must be stopped #>:(

Fitzy
17-10-2001, 03:25 PM
It goes without saying that I whole heartedly agree with the outlawing of setlines altogther.
To make a difference write to the releveant minister in your state. Loby fishing representative groups etc as well as they are often dominated by the old gut & gill, fill the esky mentality.

cheers

Rumpig
18-10-2001, 12:03 PM
So who should I contact?

Mick

Fitzy
18-10-2001, 01:02 PM
What state are you in? Can give you details for Qld ministers etc easy, will have to search for other states.

fitz

Rumpig
19-10-2001, 06:48 PM
I'm in NSW

Mick

Fitzy
20-10-2001, 06:37 AM
I'm in NSW

Mick

Hi Mick,
Email Eddie Obeid - Minister for Fisheries at:
eddie.obeid@parliament.nsw.gov.au
And be sure to include something like "I await your reply" that way they have to reply to you or at least aknowlege your correspondence.
Can also try organisations like Recfish Australia at:
recfish@sportnet.com.au

That should get you started.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Rumpig
22-10-2001, 04:32 AM
Ta Fitzy, I'll get stuck into that tonight ;)

Mick

Graeme_Creed
22-10-2001, 03:02 PM
You're 100% correct.

Native Fish Australia has been trying for over 10 years to have setlines banned in NSW. We've failed miserably haven't we, but we keep trying.

I suggest you also contact Steve Dunn, Director NSW Fisheries.

Graeme Creed