PDA

View Full Version : CarpT

mcrabbe
01-10-2001, 04:21 PM
Three weekends ago I played golf (very badly) at a course to the south of Brisbane. Near the third green we witnessed several very large carp cruising around the edge of a shallow pond occasionally breaking the surface.
We estimated at least 6 groups of 2(?) fish, each fish at least 2feet long apparently 'agitated'. When we returned to the pond after another 4 holes they were still at it.
The picture of two grown men racing alone the edge of the pond belting the water with 3 irons would have been a hit on Funniest Home Videos.
Is there an easier way to catch carp?
Ideas would be appreciated.
Many thanks in anticipation
MCrabbe

Slates
02-10-2001, 05:50 AM
G'day CarpT.
Bummer about the carp in QLD..
Anyway, they're a sucker for corn kernals (not the no name ones - they like quality).

Cheers, Slates

Rumpig
05-10-2001, 06:01 AM
Golf courses often have an abundence of carp in the ponds, I have chased carp at manly and at randwick golf courses.
It was a bit of a covert operation as these golf cources like their carp (I don't know why they wouldn't prefere to see a couple of huge bass or cod cruising the pond??!!).
but anyway, we didn't really give the carp a terribly sporting chance, using 15Lb handlines, size 2 big guns and bread as bait. we caught a few, lost a few but had a great time none the less LOL

Some of the best baits for carp

Bread, good for unfished areas (golf courses, parks, etc) where the carp sometimes score a feed of bead.
Can be used with any hook.

Corn kernals, good if the carp are slightly pickier and won't eat bread. Use a light short shank hook for this and thread the kernals on to cover the entie hook.

Worms, these are absoloutly dynamite on carp, get couple of nice big worms and put them on a light gauge hook and you're set.

There are heaps of other baits but these ones have worked for me.

One other thing, I never use lead, carp are really sencitive where I fish and can feel the tiniest split shot.

Mick

Graeme_Creed
06-10-2001, 07:06 PM
Mcrabbe

Could you give me the name of the golf course for our records ?

Thanks
Graeme Creed
National Carp Task Force

Wassa
09-10-2001, 11:35 AM
Beats me why anyone would even bother to catch a carp, unless they are short of garden fertiliser, which is about all they are good for :)

Yours in fishing.

Wassa

Cremated_Reddog
09-10-2001, 01:08 PM
Beats me why anyone would even bother to catch a carp, unless they are short of garden fertiliser, which is about all they are good for :)

Yours in fishing.

Wassa

Wassa that's where you are wrong.... some of us southeners use carp for berly and snapper bait...

kris
19-10-2001, 11:32 PM
I AM A KEEN "CARPER" OVER HERE IN THE UK... WHAT CARP CAN'T RESIST IS BAIT WHICH IS OILY AND HAS A STRONG SMELL...SOMETHING THAT NEVER SEEMS TO FAIL IN THE WARMER MONTHS OVER HERE IS CAT MEAT THE TINNED VARIETY THAT COMES IN LITTLE CHUNKS AND IS IN JELLY.USE A LARGE HOOK SIZE 12/10 LIGHT LINE ABOUT 4 KILOS AND THREAD ABOUT 2 CHUNKS ON TO THE HOOK AND UP ON TO THE LINE LEAVING THE HOOK VISIBLE...CARP SUCK SO WHEN THEY TRY THE BAIT THEY DON'T FEEL THE HOOK. TRY THROWING A DOZEN PIECES IN TO THE AREA YOU SAW THEM IN FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS BEFORE WITH SOME CORN AND CHOPPED UP WORMS...BINGO YOU'VE GOTTEM...GOODLUCK

Scottie
22-10-2001, 09:44 PM
There's a bait corn from Italy called Pescaviva. It's fantastic stuff, big sturdy kernels that stay on the hook. It comes in a wide variety of flavors, everything from garlic, anise to strawberry and cream caramel. Carp are fun to fish for, as they put up a fantastic fight. A small, medium to heavy wire (#6) bait hook is all that is needed, plus the proper weights to get it out there. Check out the Carp Anglers Group for lots of good tips on rigging and bait. While you're there, take a look at the photos from the recent Chicago Carp Classic.
www.geocities.com/cyprioman
Scottie, Chicago, Illinois.