PDA

View Full Version : Help Save The Gold Coast Snapper

bobkrojs
23-10-2001, 01:01 PM
Greetings to all, did you know the bag limit for Snapper in Queensland is an unsustainable, 30 per person? With that in mind, I’m hoping you might be interested in, and be able to help with the "Help Save The Gold Coast Snapper" campaign. To explain, please read the email below, sent by me, Bob Krojs, to our fisheries minister on the 11/10/01,to the Honourable Minister of Fisheries/DPI, Mr Henry Palaszczuk. #...
My name is Bob Krojs, I have been fishing the Southport/Gold Coast reefs for approximately 4 days per week for 13 years and running my charter boat business on the Gold Coast for 3 years now and have grave concerns regarding our rocky reef fish stocks, particularly Snapper.
Rather than just complain, I decided to contact a few fisho’s to gain there response, I’m glad I did, it seems everybody agrees, we need the Snapper bag limit lowered and the minium size increased now. Of course there are other issues being/to be addressed, this one is an easy obvious start. Please read the following replies/comments, they are typical of many more. Please note that I have no political motivation/motive, or any close association with any major lobby group. COMMENTS BELOW…

BROWNIE, channel 7 fishing show host and fishing reporter, replied...you can send this on. Bob your right, 10 years ago, we would often film only part of snapper catches taken from charter boats off the Gold and Sunshine Coast reefs, because it just looked obscene to show so many big quality fish, dead. #These days, we are lucky to film 1 snapper per week....GPS has turned mugs into killers....Brownie

MIKE BLENKINS - Owner - Gold Coast Fishing Tackle, said- Uneducated, uncaring fisho's, now have to and are travelling further to catch the "Hero" bag of Snapper. Yes, there are a few patches left, kept sustainable by those in the know, who go there rarely and take only a couple, let's reduce the bag limit to save them, make it not worth the cost of getting there. Bob Krojs tells me that recreational fisho's are still selling fish for boat fuel. We must educate!!! I would support 2 per person. You have my unconditional support in this attempt to change what are now ridiculous limits

RAY JOYCE, of the Marine Life Institute, said, he has been conducting his study for the last 8 years and has meet with and passed his findings on the Snapper decline to the Department of Primary Industries Fishery many times. Ray is also the Vice President of The Queensland Charter Vessel Association, which represents fishing charter boats in Queensland and hopes for a bag limit of 3.

STEVE FROM FISHY FISHING.. an interstate fishing website wrote,...30 snapper per person you say!!! I had no idea you were culling fish up there! Queensland has always been known for the great fishing, not only by the locals and interstate anglers but international anglers also. If the bag limit isn't reduced to a respectable amount of 1 or 2 per person you will not only be culling the fish but also the fishing tourism in Queensland...sincerely Steve.

JAN PRIOR- from Wahoo Charters...Yes we agree, we have given this print out to all our Skippers and crew, something has to be done. (Wahoo Charters is the largest and longest serving charter service on the Gold Coast)

I/BK, believe it should be 1 per person only, particularly on the Gold Coast. I know through my tagging and recapturing of the same tagged Snapper on the exact same GPS mark 3 and 4 times in a 3 year period that Snapper can be/are, residential.

And too many more similar comments to list.......

QUEENSLAND FISHERIES ADVISED ME/BK..... #don't worry the bag limit is coming down to ten, and the minium size is being increased to 35cm.

BK'S REPLY TO QFS.....thanks, that's great, 10 snapper per person, that's only 2,000 per day on the Gold Coast, that's on the charter boats only, we can't catch 1 on some days, South Australia is on the ball, and currently has a closed season, please read the comments again, thankyou, yours sincerely, Bob/BK

IT SEEMS WE HAVE TO EDUCATE ALL, ON THIS CRISIS,
WHEN ALL FISHO'S/VOTERS ARE INFORMED, IT WILL GAIN VOTES FOR THE POLITICIAN WHO PUSHES "SUSTAINABLE FISHING LEGISLATION".

THE CURRENT CONSENSUS AVERAGE, FROM REPLIES, IS A BAG LIMIT OF 2 SNAPPER PER PERSON.

If you can help please send your thoughts to The Honourable Minister of Fisheries/DPI, Mr Henry Palaszczuk, at dpi@ministerial.qld.gov.au . Please also forward this message to anyone you know who may be interested, thankyou, sincerely, Have a great day from BK.

Bob Krojs, Owner/Skipper of BK's Fishing Charters Gold Coast Australia.

Jim_Linden
23-10-2001, 02:28 PM
Bob,

I'd go a little further and suggest a bag limit of two snapper per person, with a boat limit of ten snapper in total.

That gives charter boats with a capacity of up to ten clients the opportunity to provide at least one snapper per client, without having ten anglers hammering those resident populations of which you speak.

Regards
Jim Linden

Cando
23-10-2001, 06:53 PM
Well increased sizes on most fish would good but the biggers problem i can see is policing it. I.E. I myself have only been pulled up 3 times in 20 years and of the 3 times I was pull up, 2 were Qpole wanting me to blow in the bag and once was by fisheres to check my catch and yes I DO the RIGHT THING. Two of my friends #have never had there catch checked. How many out there that DO the WRONG THING never get checked...A closed season sound good to.
# # # I #