PDA

View Full Version : How to throw a Cast Net - Online Video

imported_admin
25-10-2001, 07:35 AM
Hi

Nugget and I have put together a couple of short videos for viewing over the net on How to Throw a Cast Net.

These have been put up as a response to some of the posts on Fishing Shows in another post. We are working along the path #of putting togther some video footage on fishing basics that can be viewed on the net whenever you wish.

Your thoughts and comments on this format are most welcome.

Videos are at http://www.ausfish.com.au/castnet/

Fitzy
25-10-2001, 08:57 AM
Well done Steve & Nugget.
Gets the message across on what needs to be done. Didn't take too long to load on this measley 56k modem connection either.
Not like some folks we know (Steve) that have cable & satelite!! ::)
fitz

Heath
25-10-2001, 11:19 AM
Guys,

That is dead set perfect!!!!! Exactly the sort of thing that budding anglers or newbies need. ;) ;) ;) ;)

adza
25-10-2001, 01:31 PM
I just finished watching the video and it was great and it showed me what I was doing wrong. So keep up the good work and I look forward to the next tip.

cheers, adza ;D

Jim_Linden
25-10-2001, 02:52 PM
Dammit, Steve - you make it look so flaming easy! :o

The only way I can get a perfect circle like that is if I walk around it for half an hour straightening out the edges ;D

My throws end up looking like a thin beef sausage with a bad case of the bends.

Oh, well - off to Gatakers Bay in the morning to try yet another method.

The video's a great idea - the mind boggles at the possibilities - How to cast a lure - How to use a landing net (you'd be surprised at the contenders for this one ;D) - How to ....... etc. etc.

Great work, and many thanks.

Jim Linden

The_Walrus
25-10-2001, 04:42 PM
Great stuff.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video clip is worth 10 thousand !!

Luc ;D ;D

imported_admin
25-10-2001, 05:13 PM
Dammit, Steve - you make it look so flaming easy! #:o

The only way I can get a perfect circle like that is if I walk around it for half an hour straightening out the edges #;D

My throws end up looking like a thin beef sausage with a bad case of the bends.

Oh, well - off to Gatakers Bay in the morning to try yet another method.

The video's a great idea - the mind boggles at the possibilities - How to cast a lure - How to use a landing net (you'd be surprised at the contenders for this one #;D) - How to ....... #etc. etc.

Great work, and many thanks.

Jim Linden

Jim, don't worry, it wasn't the first take. If you notice on the video I go quite for a few seconds, as I was surprised at how nicely it landed. I have only been using a cast net for a few months so am by no means an expert. I tried the method Nugget demos but can't get it to work. Tried a few others but eneded up sticking to the one I demonstrate as it seems to work for me, most of the time ;D

I have seen people cast them quite well several other ways, so there is no right or wrong way to do it, just whatever works for you.

poppy
25-10-2001, 06:30 PM
Hi Steve, the video's by yourself and Nugget are fantastic. That is exactly what I was getting at with the "New Fishing Show" post. This is the sort of info that is needed for not only the older generation but it is terrific for the kids as well. It would be so easy to expand on these videos. I have never seen a video on cast netting before.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Poppy

p.s. The lawn looks O.K. too!

imported_admin
26-10-2001, 12:05 PM
Poppy

Thanks for your comments, appreciate them.

Will be working on a few more as time permits.

Brian
27-10-2001, 08:02 AM
well done all i need to do is practice ::) ........ i guess i just better go fishing ;D ;D

warigal
27-10-2001, 03:50 PM
well done steve. you forgot to tell the folks that you dont get wet throwing the style you have demonstrated. a big plusn on a cold winters night. :)

Jim_Linden
28-10-2001, 03:31 PM
Well, Steve,
I came back with a bucket of fat little poddies from Gatakers yesterday - so something's getting better.
I tried your method, but found some aspects weren't much better for me - only in the area of gathering up the front of the net. Where you show a couple of loops of net picked up from the front and placed over the extended fingers, Brett Hoskin, on his way through here a few weeks ago had showed me how to gather up a bunch of the front of the net and lock it under the right thumb. This I found to work better for me.
What I did learn from your video that helped immensely was more to do with the actual throw itself - particularly not letting go with the right hand until it crosses over the left.
I'm a long way from throwing perfect circles every time, but I did manage to get something other than rocks and shells this time around.
The hardest part is, when you do make a good throw, remembering how it was that you "loaded up" the net and made the throw that time, so you can do it again.
Like beach worming, it gets to the point where the techniques and the act of catching the bait is as big a challenge, and almost as much fun, as catching the fish.

Cheers
Jim Linden

coulter
30-10-2001, 03:47 PM
Thanks the videos are easier to understand than the written explanations. I have been trying for a couple of months to successfully throw a net but to no avail. With my new found knowledge hopefully I will see a fully fanned out net on my next atempt.
Regards
Kaj Coulter

tonyp
30-10-2001, 05:40 PM
Steve & Nugget ,
Well done on a great video for the people to gather bait.
And do note A NO NO in NSW. But in NSW crab rules are different.! ( STUPID> )

Nugget you must get wet, wish i could show you my trigger grip throw on this but can not. I cast a 10foot net with ease and lays even and catches heaps.

A note to rember for those just starting. A 6foot drop net may sound easy to start with but a 9 or 10 foot net is better.
WHY --- cause when you cast a small net and can do it, the net will open and bounce back to nearly 1 foot befor it hits the water.
A good all round net for a beginner is a 9foot drop cast net in momo , NOT nylon mesh as it gets wet and heavy.
do `not cast it hard just nice abd easy, and I personly think it is all in the wrist action , roll the wrist as the last of the net leaves the hand and presto!!.
go for it. Best of all you don't get stinky fingers after a night using live bait instead if cut dead strips.

tony payne

Slates
31-10-2001, 07:23 AM
Fantastic idea!
but - I can't access it!!? ??? :P
The error message says "You are not connected to the network"

I'm sure it's my end...
I've set WMP to 'auto detect proxy settings' and 'use browser proxy settings' for no joy...

I'll get it one day... :-/

Cheers, Slates

imported_admin
31-10-2001, 07:30 AM
You can download the clips to your hard drive and play them from there if you like. Also saves being on the net if you want to view them at a later time.

In Internet Explorer - Right click on the link, select Save Target As, save the file to your hard drive. To play the clip you can either double click on it from Windows Explorer or open it from Windows Media Player.

Hope this helps.

Jim_Linden
31-10-2001, 07:57 AM
Tony,

As a cast-netter in the "needs improvement" category, I would just like to wholeheartedly endorse your remarks regarding choice of nets.

I made exactly the mistake you outlined - I bought a 6' nylon net, thinking the smaller size would be easier to throw, and that the "limp" nylon would be easier to handle than the mono.

Wrong on both counts!!

Brett Hoskin recently came through here, by which time I had woken up to one of the limitations of the nylon construction (ever tried repeatedly lifting a 6' column of water?). I was headed to the Brisbane boat show, and all set to buy a 6' mono net, thinking there was no way I was yet ready to handle a bigger net. Brett gave me a few casts with his 9' mono - I still had my doubts. But, following his repeated advice, and to some extent against my better judgement, I bought a 9' mono at the show. I have never looked back since, and wouldn't use the 6' nylon net if you paid me. To anyone out there contemplating purchasing their first net - listen to what Tony has to say - he's right on the money.

One good point Brett made about the bigger net was that a poorly cast 9' net still covers a damn sight more area than a poorly cast 6' net. Given the quality of my casting, that struck a chord with me ;D

The other critical area, as you say, is to discipline yourself to "cast" the net, not throw the bloody thing. As a beginner, one tends to think that the harder you throw, the bigger the net will open - it ain't so. The harder you throw, the more intricate and convoluted the shape that the net finally settles in.

Now, I'll go practice that wrist roll ;D

Regards
Jim Linden

imported_admin
31-10-2001, 10:06 AM
Yep, good point on the size and type of the net.

I much prefer to use my 9' Mono cast net. We used Nuggets nylon net in the video as it shows up better on the video than a mono net. The nylon nets do get heavy when they get wet and wear you out more due to the weight. You also get a lot more water on yourself and in the boat when using the nylon nets.

Luke
31-10-2001, 10:55 AM
Good work fellas,
I use a different method again but I can't see anything wrong with the smaller mono nets. Nice and relaxed cast and i get a full circle most of the time. Lighter,quicker to fan and bundle and less saturation. I also have an old 11ft nylon which admittedly gets a bigger circle than the small mono but without any other advantages. I'm a convert to the mono and hardly pull the nylon out of the shed anymore.
Cheers Luke

tonyp
31-10-2001, 04:44 PM
Jim, good to see you bought the big one.time on water is the best thing for practise. If anyone does not get bait sometimes i try 5 or 6 spots as the tide and bait will move around.
Best spots i have found is on the low tide in pokey little canals or high water near drains and pontoons. But watch for snags,( it is good to see what is there at low tide so go back later and not get snagged). And i am not shy to use a few slices of bread on hard days to get the poddy's going.
Keep some of the big mullet and put out a twin hook rig for Jacks . I use 10inch and bigger mullet for my jacks and they have no probs with hookups. #Good to see so much intrest in a very important issue to gathering bait!

tony

Slates
01-11-2001, 07:22 AM
ah-ha!
Thanks Steve!
Great idea doing an instructional vid like that!
nice and long (a few minutes) and the file was so small!
Way better than MPEG!
Well done!

Cheers, Slates