PDA

View Full Version : Omens, Boats and Bananas

fish_n_chips
23-10-2001, 03:17 PM
Heard of a few spooky stories about boats and bananas, any body heard any similar stories...some skippers up NQ way wont let em onboard.....
cheers
fish_n_chips

fishguts
23-10-2001, 03:35 PM
It's not the bananas ya gotta worry bout it's the bend in em....

benders (http://www.sportsfishaustralia.com.au/stories/omen/)

The_Walrus
25-10-2001, 04:44 PM
Get the ones grown on top of the hill, they're straight !!

Luc ;D ;D

Brian
27-10-2001, 08:05 AM
Skippers up north have more to worry about than bananas :o :o............. gotta watch for them smiling lizards ;D ;D

Basser
27-10-2001, 12:07 PM
Id say its a load of pull, just another excuse for the fishing, or lack of ;) :) :D

Muzzy
27-10-2001, 01:50 PM
I think the story dates back to way back when the fellas used to be in the tall ships and that. Any way a bannana gives of some sort of gas or some thing that actually makes other fruits rippen fast. Thus they go off, and the boys at sea all die of scurvey or some thing of the sort. Hence bannanas were said to be bad lack and it has carried right through to today.

My self I do it more out of respect for the old sea dogs to keep it how they made it sort of thing.

I have this one fella who dont like cameras on board his boat, reckons its bad luck.

I have a croc tooth a mate gave me that I dont like to go fishing with out not some much to cacth fish but to keep me safe from the gators (me mate is an aboriginal fella from the bush and said it would keep me safe probably a load of poo but I'm not game to prove it wrong).

Each to their own and listen to the captin cause ya get tierd real quick treading water *G*

Muz

imported_admin
27-10-2001, 02:14 PM
There are a few stories floating around regarding Bananas on fishing boats.

One referes to a Polynesian ledgend, the sort version goes something like this.

Polynesian's use to transfer fish by boat from village to village. One day someone asked them to carry some bananas as well as the fish. The boat got into trouble and sank and the crew was lost. From then on bananas were never allowed on a fishing boat as they were blamed for cursing the boat and crew.

Lucky_Phill
29-10-2001, 02:50 PM
Well, I know of a few superstitions that are always obeyed by myself. Rule No 1. never let a woman come on a fishing trip !! :P Rule No 2. You can't rip the top off a stubbie until the first fish is in the esky :-X Rule No 3. Work is for people who don't fish. ;D and for those of you up north, Rule No 4. When in doubt,,,,coral trout ! :D And for those serious at heart..... unless you paint little fishies on the underside of your boat, you ain't catchin' nuffin' :o

Rumpig
05-11-2001, 10:18 AM
To tell you blokes the truth I m a bit of a bad luck charm, I'm from the south side of Sydney harbour, wheneven I travel to the north side the fishing always turns off and the weather's crook so if you're in Sydney and suddenly you get an unexplainable day of foul weather blame it on me ;) :) ;) :P

Also, if you are having a quiet day, leave your rods alone for a bit, wander a bit down the wharf or mix up some berley, this always gets results with me, damn those sly fish ;)

Mick

wandern
10-11-2001, 06:04 PM
:o : :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

a charter on my brothers boat,bird watching( S.O.S.S.A.)
7 fin biggest went 56 kg to a bird watcher ,first fish ever!!!

plenty of bent yellow things on the boat that day!!!!!!!!!!!!

go figger.