PDA

View Full Version : Favourite gogo mobile for towing

Luke
04-11-2001, 04:44 PM
I've had a 83 corolla for 3 years and the only thing I've done is the brakes myself besides water,oil,fuel. It is an absolute rust bucket but reliable as my own mum.Cost me a grand and blown it's stack about 10 times(due to lak of H2o)but won't stop.Brissy to Cairns 3 times not a hitch.Worked it out to about $400 a year.(cheering) In the market for a new one for towing 4m tinnie and want to stay 4cyl.Not a lot of cash-what's been good for you guys?
Cheers Luke

The_Walrus
05-11-2001, 09:37 AM
Have a look at a ute, either single or twin cab depending on your situation.

I got a trayback Toyota Hilux (2 wheel drive). Tows my 4M tinny no probs and I don't have to use the boat as a trailer when I got away for a few days.

Luc

Rumpig
05-11-2001, 10:21 AM
If you want to stay with a 4-cyl why not get a subaru brumby, they're a small ute with 4 wheel drive. :D

Mick

Simon
06-11-2001, 10:04 AM
Luke,

I have a 4b HiLux 2.4 petrol and it pulls by 4m fibreglass boat without to many probs, doesn't like bighills or strong head winds but otherwise is good. If you go a Luxy I would recomend you spend the $270 bucks and get extractors the little extra umph helps and the economy when not towing makes it worth while. they will pay for them selves over several months. Hope this helps

Cheers

Simon

Slates
08-11-2001, 10:37 AM
G'day Derek.
Can't give you a suggestion, but while we're on reliable bombs, my old VB Commodore has been there too.
It just clicked over 440,000 km on the original gearbox (traumatic) and 220, on it's second 253 (on gas). It's had 3 diffs (2 were my fault) and that's about it as far as replacement parts.

I've driven the east coast to Maroochydore 4 times and onto Airley beach once. It's been to and around Tassie, NSW, QLD and SA as well as all over Vic.
It's nearly time for it to be replaced as the rust is getting pretty keen - pity the motor's still good!

Cheers, Slates

Slates
08-11-2001, 10:38 AM
Whoops!
Sorry Luke! I looked at your logo and thought it was Derek :P

gumby
08-11-2001, 12:28 PM
Hey Slates,

I see your name on the fishnet site a fair bit. Good to see you get around. I just found this site from the email addresses on some of the posts there.

Anyway, got to agree with you. A good old ford or holden family car gets me most places & just keeps on goin.

Gumby

Lucky_Phill
08-11-2001, 03:51 PM
Hey Luke, I have to agree with the Walrus. Seriously look at a UTE. They are designed as a work horse ( read pony for 4 cyl ). ;) The Lux 2 x utes are a dime a dozen and a bloody good weapon for towing small tinnies and are indestructable. I have a Ford XH ute, 6 cyl 4.0 ltre ( on gas ) and tow my tinnie and my mates 6.2mtere Sportfish, no probs, and you get to use the back of the UTE for all the camping gear when you piss off on Holidays. Which leads me to this question. have you ever been to Turkey Beach ? A little ute and a little tinnie should be heading that way every winter ( summer if sandflys don't bother you ). Want to know more. Just ask.

aussiebasser
08-11-2001, 04:59 PM
Not the Dart

Slates
10-11-2001, 04:47 AM
G'day Gumby!
Yeah, I love these (and other) chat boards ;D
They provide all sorts of info and I've met some great blokes too!

Cheers, Slates

Luke
10-11-2001, 07:40 AM
Thanks fellas, was looking at the Toyota surf imports for the price but was warned that grey imports stop next year and parts hard to come by. Besides that heard they are buckets and to stay away from them.

Katrina
10-11-2001, 12:46 PM
;) Heard the same about surf's, I think the 4runners are ok, though.

fatman
10-11-2001, 04:33 PM
Hi Luke,
Find yourself an old Holden 6, HQ, HJ, HZ models. Tough as buggery, can't kill em with a stick and cheap as chips. Pretty good on fuel (mines on gas) and will tow all day (as well as pull up under brakes)
cheers
FATMAN ;D

aussiebasser
11-11-2001, 01:37 PM
Thanks fellas, was looking at the Toyota surf imports for the price but was warned that grey imports stop next year and parts hard to come by. Besides that heard they are buckets and to stay away from them.

If you are considering a Surf, get a quote for insurance first. :o :o :o

Rumpig
11-11-2001, 05:48 PM
I am getting either a holden HX 1-tonner or a superu brumby 4x4, I'm going to deck which ever I get out with all the gear (5-poster, spotties, etc) which would be recomended??

Mick

Rumpig
11-11-2001, 05:48 PM
I am getting either a holden HX 1-tonner or a superu brumby 4x4, I'm going to deck which ever I get out with all the gear (5-poster, spotties, etc) which would be recomended??

Mick

Katrina
11-11-2001, 06:03 PM
;) Hey rumpig, what do ya wanna tow, a tinny or a battleship? The subie would do a tinnie, and go most places, but if ya have a big bitch, go the one ton, fer sure!!

Rumpig
14-11-2001, 03:54 PM
Not towing anything at the moment, the only vehicle I've got at the Moment is my pushie and trying to fit a tow bar to that has been a pain ;D ;D ;D
I love the 1-tonner's style but the scooby doo's far more practicle on my budget so I'm not sure yet

Mick