PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Fishing

webby
25-11-2001, 11:10 AM
After reading eh report in the Courier Mail Sat', both our
Fresh & Salt species are bound for some sort of extinction.
I know this sound like hash words & am only going on the facts printed. So if these experts are forcasting a dim further
for our stocks, with all the resources at their disposal, with
noxious species, pollution and salmonella on the rises, what
can we the ordinary laymen do to help combat or prolong
these events. Lets not all stick our head in the sand and hope
they'll go away. With the development of our estuarines
systems stretching further and further into the natural enviro-
ment, we cannot ignore what it must be doing to the breeding
and feeding ground of our saltwater species. We are ALL
GUILTY of helping the cause, by what we dispose of down
our sinks and wc's, we wash our cars and boats in the drive-
ways which eventually drains down through subterrain levels
which feeds into the rivers and bays. The Freshwater scene
as far a pollution goes might be a little safer, but the spread
of noxiou species, seems to be on the incline, no mater how
much restocking is donw, if we cannot halt the spread of
these species, where does it leave us.
I know this has all been said before, and I am only repeating
what a lot of you have reported or said before. Our State
Bodies must now bring in stricter laws and not in 2-5 years
time BUT NOW. And it is up to us the weekenders and
semi and professionals to put more pressure on the State
I dont know where we can start, but some of you out there
with more input into the industry, could lead or show the way
I am midway through my life and have enjoyed some good
times on the water, but over the last few years have also
noticed a decline in our stocks and the shoulder to shoulder
room available now in most places you fish. I am guilty of
throwing the old butt over board, but that will stop as from
today(big hero some mite say) but at least I willing to start
somewhere. So do we start now or wait another 5 years
I am willing to give some weekends up to help, slow down
or illuviate the problems that lay ahead.
Your Comments and Directions are need NOW.
Brian.

Katrina
25-11-2001, 04:46 PM
:'( I second that!!!!!

Lucky_Phill
26-11-2001, 11:34 AM
This subject is touched on just about every day. And Webby, although the " butts " is only a small contribution, good onya for doing " something ". Like a lot of responsible fishos who use our wonderful waterways around S/E Queensland, I have taken it upon myself to assist with the clean up of our systems. The little things that I do may only leave me with a little warm fuzzy feeling inside, but at least I'm doing something. Things like, stopping to pick up floating plastics in the water, NOT, throwing stuff overboard, telling my kids of the responsibility to our waterways. This problem isn't going to go away overnight, Webby, but it might sink in to our kids heads and therefore the next generation of " Fishos " will have fish to catch and be a little more responsibile than some of us have been in our time. There has been a million solutions thrown around and a million people blamed for the conditions that exist now. No use fingerpointing, DO something yourself !!!!!!!! ??? Maybe Steve could get us together for the " Clean up Moreton Bay Day " next year. Do our little thing for the Bay and have a beer and BBQ after. There is no harm on giving yourself a pat on the back for doing something, at least we'll be out there doing it, instead of fingerpointing. ;)

Luke
26-11-2001, 03:13 PM
Hey Guys,
Was down at Alberton today at Rotary Park(Rotary Park Road) and there was 50-100 yards of scattered litter all belonging to the Commonwealth Bank Springwood Branch and I'm talking knee deep litter. My mate reported it to Channel 9 yesterday and tomorrow we will be contacting the Gold Coast City Council. This is an absolute disgrace and they should be held accountable whether it's is they're contractors dumping it or not. Did I pick it up? I didn't have a spare 24 hours-not kidding.
Cheers Luke

The_Walrus
26-11-2001, 04:23 PM
If you want nightmares, the cotton industry is keen to do some massive development into the northern half of Australia.

This is an industry that depends heavily on water and pesticides.

Luc

saundy
29-11-2001, 05:26 AM
>:( Hi Webby,
It is frustrating to go to a normally pleasant spot and find some halfwit has left it in a disgusting state. trouble is that type can't be reached through this type of medium. They are the totaly apathetic type who never read things or get involved. Why do anything when some other silly b*^^$% will do it? Just look at the active few, you find the same people involved all the time while the multitude sits back and complains. If all rec fishers were responsible and took an interest in things. would't it be fantastic? ::)