PDA

View Full Version : Fish Growth

Travis
07-12-2001, 04:28 PM
Fitzy and Steve Ooi have barra at there homes in a tank and l loved it l just organized my own.....

One aquarium said the barra will out grow the tank no matter how big the tank,and the others said they will only grow to there enviorment...What does everyone else think????It would be disheartning to say good-bye to barra once a year or so as they grow so quick....

The aquarium near me in southport have had a couple of barra traded in this week they are about 300mm long and in great condition,the original owners could keep up with there growth and gave them the arse for regular fish...So if someone interested go and have a look they were hand reared and took fish from my hand they want $100 for both
,l feel sorry for these great fish but the tank to suit them both would have to be huge....

Trav

Brett_Finger
08-12-2001, 04:41 AM
Trav,
mate a fella i know has barra in a swiming pool in his yard as he didn't hasve the hart to let them go after thay out-grew three tanks ;D
Hookin,Brett

Muzzy
08-12-2001, 08:46 AM
Trav I think they slow their groth but they still out grow most tanks...

Like in the wild some are big for two years some are smaller some are male and some are females...

this is only things I have noticed rather than studied mate and heard from other people I respect the advice of.

And finger your mate is a champion for the pool thing, a pet from hell he has!

Muz

craigie
08-12-2001, 10:06 AM
G'day Trav,

Had a Barra in a tank at work for over 3 years before it unexplicably passed away to that big Mangrove Creek in the sky.
The fish was about 45 cm long and about 2 kg's. It was fed regularly and housed in a tank 6 foot long. The fish was small for It's age but It looked in good condition.

We now have a Magrove Jack as the new resident, Highly recomend a Jack for your home Aquarium.

$100 for a pair of Barra's, hmm, you may find them cheaper than that if you shop around ?

Big Barra in your swimming pool, wonder how the missus would cope with that one ?

Cheers
Craigie.

Steve_Ooi
08-12-2001, 06:29 PM
you could always buy a small barra fingerling, my brother use to have one on the gold coast, i think the fish only costed him a few bucks, and he use to feed it jelly prawn until it got bigger and ate the guppies..

You could alway keep the temperature a little lower and slow the growth rates down a bit ,or feed it less....they will eat heaps during warm weather and grow accordingly.....once it out grow the tank....stock him in a secret pond somewhere, better still throw him in the Pacific Fair shopping centre pond and let him harass the goldfish, that would be quite funny actually......

cheers Steve (Poon) Ooi

Travis
09-12-2001, 04:34 PM
Sorry boys l'd didn't explain myself properly l got two barra for myself they are 75mm long and they were twelve bucks each great value l thought...

The other two l mentioned are there in little tanks they are $50 each and they are big fella l was never considering those for myself they need about ten acres to swim...

and poony those goldfish are to big for these barra there two foot long,it would be an interesting battle 8)

How would a jack and barra go in a eight foot tank together,with both fish similiar size... ??? ???

Simon
13-12-2001, 10:58 AM
Food and temp. are the main factors, the warmer the water the bigger the appetite and the more food the faster they grow. The numbers of fish per the amount of water will also dictate the size that many communal fish will grow.

If you put the jack and barra in the same 8" tank I'd put bets on an all in brawl with the Jack winning. I have been led to believe that the two fish would be too territorial even in a big tank like that. It might work if they had hides at opposite ends of the tank but I think that when they prowl at night they wouldn't be able to help themselves. If it did work the food wouldn't be around for long.