PDA

View Full Version : Braid Line

jaybee
18-12-2001, 11:06 AM
??? mmm Recently while flicking some lures down around the canal estates on the bay side i was snagged. The snag turned out to be some braid line about 50 feet of it. The line was covered in growth and at the end was an old plastic lure that was nearly eaten away. The line cut into my hands as I tried to pull it in. I am wondering if braid is supposed to break down like mono. If not could it potentially being doing damage to the reefs when it is tangled around live coral ? Just curious to peoples thoughts on this. As I begun thinking if this stuff doesnt break down it would be like a hacksaw tooing and frowing in the currents. By the way the line I retreived was placed in a nearby rubbish bin.

Travis
18-12-2001, 12:00 PM
l cannot see braid ever braking down..maybe fusion but l doubt it.
But l guess the amount of braid sold there is bound to be bust offs and dags hanging off reefs,bridges and pontoons,not much we can do l suppose other than do our best to retrieve it...

jaybee
20-12-2001, 02:05 PM
Thanks for ya reply Travis, since posting I have asked around at tackle shops and surfed the net but no one can give an answer. #??? I beleive fishos should seriously be looking at this, specially if it could be destroying coral in the deeper waters.

adrian
27-12-2001, 11:47 AM
i also agree
braid wont break down it's made the way it is so it wont break . the damage it must do when bust off occur has to be great over time . I don't use the stuff myself anymore as I didn't like it .
anzac

fisho
02-01-2002, 04:44 AM
An interesting point you raise jaybee - I almost exclusively use mono and will continue to do so. The fact that braid may not break down is a serious concern which must be addressed sooner rather than later.

Luke
02-01-2002, 05:16 AM
It will break down. I wouldn't have a clue how long or how it compares to mono but I'm sure it will break down over time. Like anything we put in the water it can be damaging and it's not only the things that can be seen that are damaging.
Cheers Luke

jaybee
12-01-2002, 03:21 AM
I have had some feedback. Apparantly some not all charter boat operators now use mono at the sharp end ..this is to help if snagged and for hookups ?? dont quote me this feedback has been 2nd n 3rd hand.
cheers