PDA

View Full Version : catfish

Fisherman02
17-01-2002, 05:50 PM
i'm a 15 year old boy from london just moved over from malaysia which b4 then i was in scotland then england then malaysia then england then france then england so i guess you could say im a good traveler and i'm fishing in the Brisbane river and there only seem to be catfish which make fantastic crab bait but not good table food. Does anyone know here I can get some perch etc. A few days ago I got spiked by a catfish and was wondering does anyone know any homemade remedies to stop the pain the best one that I have come up with is hot water as hot as you can take it stops the pain instantly. Also does anyone know any places to buy inexpensive crab pots?

Jason_L
17-01-2002, 07:44 PM
saw on a fishing show they said catfish were actually an underrated fish.. not that i really beleive it. but i think they kinda prepared them like leatherjackets.... ie. skinned them.

i've also seen on fishing shows when u get spiked by flathead to use their own slime on the wound and it should stop hurting.. u could try that with the catfish.. i know how much they hurt. i pricked my finger and it was sore for the next month.

u could try using a float or something see if that helps.

Slates
18-01-2002, 10:30 AM
G'day Fisherman.
The best bet for a cattie spike is the hot water as you've tried.
Their slime/poison that causes the pain is 'designed' to operate at moderate temperatures - such as those encountered in the human body - and not at anything much over 45 degrees C.
So, these enzymes will break down almost immediately when soaked in hot water - the hotter the quicker. Just don't scald yourself!! :o

Personally, I haven't fished the Brissy river myself, but there are heaps of people on these chat boards that will help you out with a few cattie-free possies!

Good luck.

Cheers, NS

Fisherman02
18-01-2002, 10:34 AM
thanks soo much Guys you have really helped me out very much appreciated
thanks again
Jack

Luke
18-01-2002, 01:46 PM
Fisherman,
I reckon if you head right upstream of the Brissy you will have better luck. Since it sounds like you are right close to the city another option might be to get up early, take your gear and jump on a train and head for the Gold Coast for the day.
Cheers Luke

Fisherman02
18-01-2002, 05:04 PM
hey thanks man good idea
ill give it a try sometime do you know any good places upstream not too far and not to busy?

Roman
19-01-2002, 09:38 AM
Thats intresting and very helpful.
What about sting rays are their any tricks to remove the pain? does it hurt more than a catfish(i have never been stung by neither) but they do look like they will hurt more.

Fisherman02
19-01-2002, 04:07 PM
Ummm
Well I have only been spiked by a catfish so not sure but catfish do give a hell of a sting :o By the way does anyone have msn?
I'm usually on at 8pm sometimes later but my addy is cool_dude_54200@hotmail.com
happy fishing!