PDA

View Full Version : Snorkelling for lead

Luke
20-01-2002, 06:49 PM
Went snorkelling down North wall of Tweed found a bit of free lead. Did this in the dark to minimise the amount of pissed yocals but still found a shite. A terrible lot more than I thought and doesn't hurt to clean it up while doing something I enjoy. If you could see the amount of shit down there you would know. I'm picking up as much as I can while getting lasers thrown overhead

curleyweirdo
21-01-2002, 11:26 AM
Dude, how do you think i get all my lures.
At 10-15 bux a pop i just go down to my local breakwall/area under bridge on a low tide with a metal coathanger as a hook and fix myself up.
Must have found a couple of hundred buck worth of lures and a buckket full of sinkers.

Just remember if you see a big tangle of line around a rock or some weed, only cut the gear off the line, and leave the snag to be productive for next lowtide ;)

Rumpig
23-01-2002, 02:57 PM
I prefere snorkling for flatties LOL, not exactly sporting but jeez it's exciting watching your mate's lure wrigging through the water then suddenly a huge flatties rises up and engulfs it WOW!!! :o :o :o

Mick

rick_k
23-01-2002, 05:07 PM
I reckon you must have been joking about leaving the snag covered in line.

While amusing, I think there is a risk in giving the other side more evidence of the problems fishos can cause.

Rick

Luke
24-01-2002, 01:19 PM
Hi Rick K,
I certainly grabbed as much as I could that day and I'm not sure if the divers or other snorkellers do the same though it would be in their interests to do so. However the evidence is there as soon as you put your head under water whether we like it or not. I guess whatever we do as humans we are destroying something and it is up to us to do something about it. A place I fish regularly has a bin and out of habit I always put my rubbish in it. This place is at Woongoolba on a rock wall and young people often fish this place and camp.
Half the time its the older folk aswell dumping and it's just a dirty place. It would be real easy for me to think my piece of litter won't make a difference but the minute I do I'm just as bad. I end up picking up some of it but I wouldn't be able to do it all on my own and fish aswell-wouldn't have time. Anyway just because it's under water doesn't mean it's hidden or any better than being on top.
Cheers Luke

Jason_L
24-01-2002, 04:35 PM
curleyweirdo u said that u cut the items off the line and leave the line on the rocks. it would be best if you took that line with you. to clean up the rocks.

line is another killer of fish and turtles and things.
u might not have to do it all at once. but a lil now and then. not all the rubbish is on the surface of the water.

curleyweirdo
25-01-2002, 08:21 AM
Yes tru tru, but we dont get turtles in syd harbour.
And ill tell you there is so much down there that you could spend a lifetime and neva make an impact.
As it is is there is so much there that #it is the density of some seaweed!
And yes i am serious i do throw it back.....
Maybe i should change

Cremated_Reddog
25-01-2002, 12:18 PM
sorry to tell you curly but you do get turtles in Sydney Harbour just like we get em in Lake Macquarie