PDA

View Full Version : Illegal fishing

Dave_G
29-01-2002, 01:11 PM
Hi all,
Just thought I'd pass on what I've just seen at the Southport Seaway today. There was a group of 7 people ( non Australians from countries directly to our north) fishing off the rock wall with light spinning gear catching undersize bream & blackfish mainly. I watched for a while and each time they caught a fish it went straight in the esky hooks and all. They then threw a rag over it, they would wait a while and then place their hand under the rag, remmove the hook and slam the lid down. This was all done straight below and in clear view of the Seaway control tower and their were also 2 police boats patroling the area checking boats and jetskis. They were all wearing " Coolie " hats and were pretty hard to miss. But everyone seemed to. Maybe there is more revenue in chasing boats. I don't wish to seem prediuce but it's getting awfull hard not to especially after watching them in Redland Bay. What's the answer apparently as soon as their approached they can't speak english. Any suggestions ????

imported_admin
29-01-2002, 02:36 PM
To report illegal fishing in Queensland phone: #1800 017 116 (toll free within Queensland)

For more details see http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2850.html

Roman
29-01-2002, 09:23 PM
If they know that the fish are not legal size, but yet still doing it. Then i frown on that. >:( >:(

Jason_L
29-01-2002, 09:27 PM
well. i have to admit when i was younger i was inconsiderate with fish. like every one u caught u kept. but that was when i was about 9... i've grown up now. and only keep the ones i'm going to eat.

but i know how u feel about those people.. without being racist or anything. i have seen those sorts of people with cast nets.. big ones... 9 footers. they keep everything they catch.

just a question though...... if you catch whiting in a castnet or on a line and intend to use it for bait for bigger fish is this allowed. whats the go there.. cuz i don't really want to wait and find out by a fine that it's not allowed.

Fitzy
29-01-2002, 09:45 PM
Firstly Jason, Even if you are keeping a fish for bait, you must still comply with the size bag limits that apply to that species.

Dave, I've seen many an illegal activity by many races & religions. Some of the worst I've seen is the set- lining, gill netting & pumping dry of holes on our western rivers by good old red neck European decendant Aussies.

I've found that we tend to notice the monority groups that look different to the majority (european) more as they are more easily idenitiable to us. I'm not defending anyone that breaks the law. I did a fisheries course a few years back & they had a section on descrimination. We were told of some of the fisheries & enforcement practices in other parts of the world & we need to understand that before we pass judgement. They have some traditional methods that may seem barbaric by our standards but if we are truly to be a multi-cultural country we need to give new comers time to adjust.
I know its bloody frustrating, but their impact is no greater than those who were born & bred here, yet thumb their noses at the laws intentionally.

I hope you understand what I've tried to say here folks. Not defending illegal practices, rather trying be the bearer of a little racial tolerance. Maybe I'm wrong too.

BTW- Never approach anyone who is fishing illegally. A couple of fish is not worth a knife up the ribs! :o Call the fisheries hot line.

Cheers,

jaybee
30-01-2002, 04:08 PM
I tend to agree with roman..the people (all people) that know its illegal always seem to hide the fish and dont think people see them. >:(

Fisherman02
30-01-2002, 04:55 PM
well i'm sure you guys know where I fish I have said it thousands of times before just in case you missed it I fish just up the road from davies park. Near a sailclub I think there is a pier there and thats where I fish. The other night I was fishing down there and some chinese decided to join me anyways its starts to get dark and then they start drinking. Which is fine but the part that really bothers me is after they finished their beers they just threw it into the river!!!
I couldn't belive it. Then the next day I went down again and there was rubbish everywhere and I mean everywhere bits of crabs beer bottles bags everything. Then just yesterday a guy and two aboriginal women were fishing and everything was ok till I got down there then to my horror I saw on my left about a dozen catfish just lying there some dead and some till breathing. So out of intrest I stayed and saw that one of the aboringinal caught a catfish that was no bigger then my hand. She knocked it over the head 3 times with a pair of pliers (to kill it) and then started cutting it up to put it on her hook as bait. I went up to her and asked her did she know it was an undersized fish and she said there is no undersizefish in Australia!!
These are the people who mess up our rivers and seas and they should be stopped!!
plz visit my site and sign my guest book
cheers jack
http://www.angelfire.com/co4/fishingsite

Lucky_Phill
30-01-2002, 04:59 PM
Very touchy subject fellas. ??? I've seen it all, the stuff on the Seaway, cast netters under the Brisbane wharfs, Trawlers by-catch of hundreds of under size squire every drop, discarded fish on the beach as a result of club fishing, thousands of Yabbies throw away from over pumping, Mangrove roots dug out from worming, Turtles and Dugongs maimed from props, oil pollution, and the list goes on. :'(

I believe Steve and Fitzy are right. Do the right thing and report what you see. If they don't get caught this time, maybe next. Once these people have been reported and caught, the next time they are caught,,, throw the bloody book at them. I understand about customs, ignorance and down right flirting with the law. Hey gang, feel safe in the knowledge that most of us ARE doing the right thing which is a hell of a lot more than the past decades. Due to sites like Ausfish, the word spreads, and more and more people get the message and pass it onto their kids and friends.

These " Seaway " people are the minority, if any one of you could see what happens in the big picture, you'd be shocked. There are very good people in Government departments trying their best to help mother nature along.

Chin up Dave, a little education and encouragment will have most people doing it right soon. There will always be a couple of bad apples. :-/