PDA

View Full Version : making downriggers

shano
31-01-2002, 04:19 PM
just wondering if anyone has any pics of some good downriggers that they can post on here e.g how to make them ,what to use, ect ,ect any help would be great thanks guys.
cheers shano! ;D

Lucky_Phill
31-01-2002, 05:23 PM
yeh Shano, been there done that. Wasted exercise. Save the bikkies and but one. Well worth it from what I hear. If you really want to have a look at a home made one, email me and I'll give you the info.

Jeremy
01-02-2002, 03:39 AM
Hi Shano,

I made one recently. Haven't used it much yet, but it does the job anyway. I made it from a plastic handcaster which I screwed onto a circular piece of marine ply. I then ran a bolt with wingnut through the centre of the marine ply to a strong piece of dowel so I can sit it in a rod holder. A second piece of 10 mmm dowel was glues in place near the outside of the ply as a handle. I put a piece of aluminium tubing 10 mm dia out from the dowel with a roller tip from a game rod to feed the wire away from the boat. I bought some 150 lb stainless 7 strand wire - 30 metres and put it on the caster and crimped it onto a bomb, with a second 1 m length of wire on the other side of the bomb with snap attached to that.

All up about 60$, with some parts I used recycled from around the house.

That's it. All clear?

Jeremy

imported_admin
01-02-2002, 06:07 AM
If you don't want to muck around making one have a look at the Alvey reels 925EDRG

http://www.ausfish.com.au/alvey/9.htm

http://www.ausfish.com.au/alvey/images/925edrg.jpg

Luke
01-02-2002, 09:46 AM
I go out a couple of times a year from 1770 and when most of the guys are meat fishing(skull dragging with deck winches/downriggers) I'm still there with a rod and reel braided up. At first a few of the guys got dirty as occasionally the big one would swim around their lines but once they saw how much fun I was having some of them are now using rod and reel atleast 50% of the time now. I think they might have forgot the joys of fishing for a while. I don't use downriggers to often.
Cheers Luke

shano
02-02-2002, 01:09 PM
geeees those alvey reels are a real pearler arn't they? dont think i will bother makin one now thanks guys for the help.
cheers shano! ;D