PDA

View Full Version : Exploding lures

Brian
09-02-2002, 03:50 PM
Hi,

Ok people who has had a lure expand or stretch resulting in the lure being deemed as useless. A mate has sent me a few lures from a few stables USA and Aussie and all have either split or stretched to a point that they will not swim.

If you have can u explan why ?

imported_admin
10-02-2002, 08:36 AM
Brian

Have had this happen to me and also know of a few poeple that it has happened to. This is due to the two piece style lures that have been welded together. It would appear either moisture has been trapped inside at the time of manufacture or that the thickness of the wall is too thin. If the lure is left in direct sunlight and heat the air inside heats up and expands. As the lure is sealed the expanded air and in some cases moisture has no where to escape and there for the thin walls which become soft from the heat will deform. In some cases the lure will expand or explode, although it is not usually a big explosion. If you keep the lures out of direct sun and heat there is rarely a problem.

Brian
10-02-2002, 02:53 PM
Yes i can see that happening but this is also happening to solid plastic lures as well.

I'm thinking along the same lines the plastic injection is faulty in some way and water is entering and when heated by the sun the water cannot escape and expands to a point of spliting the lure or stretching the lure.

Slates
12-02-2002, 06:52 AM
G'day Brian.
Had the same thing happen to a few lures, but were still able to use them. Both cases the lures were in hot conditions in clear tackle boxes.

A mate of mine had a full can of Bundy explode on his dashboard on a 40C day.

Cheers, Slates

Luke
12-02-2002, 07:22 AM
Hey Brian,
try going down to your local plastic/resin dealer and you can buy some casting resins in small quantities to repair them. Sand them back,reshape whatever you like really. Even 24hr araldite will be ok. Definitely sounds like heat/moisture expansion causing the problems.
Cheers Luke

Fitzy
12-02-2002, 07:48 AM
I haven't seen one explode, but I have seen cheep asian lures bend & crack after getting hot. We're absolutely unusable after that. Sure bite I think they were. The other couple I had were extremely brittle after the heat up too.

Cheers,

Fitzy..