PDA

View Full Version : GPG Track back

dnej
09-02-2002, 12:36 PM
What tha, as Rove says on TV, Why doesnt my track back work?
Got to tell the story bout my Bro, Stephan.
Bought a second hand GPS for his boat, hardly used, installed the unit and then couldnt find how to track back. (It also didnt map going places either.)!!!!!!!!#%~***?
Then the same thing happened to me.WHAT THA?

Well , back to the manual ,and found the zoom feature, and plotting timing.No wonder it wasnt plotting, set on 250km.

I am flat out going 15 km, no wonder it didnt show up.
Suddenly I am an expert( ex -out of, spert -a drip under pressure)
Hey Stephan(bro) try this.
Sure enough ,his was set on 500 km. When he reset it, he couldnt see the screen for lines, where he ,and the previous owner had been.
What a great bro I am .Should have been worth a carton dont you reccon,
Any one had the same problems?Love to hear some stories
Regards David

Lucky_Phill
10-02-2002, 06:26 AM
Sorry Dave, didn't have that problem. Like all my new toys, I like to read the Instructions first and then play a little. ;)

I did have one strange experience a few years ago. Travelling around the Bay ( moreton ), watching the plotter, the unit blanked out and I had no access to satelites,. Found out later that week, that the Yanks had used / scrambled the buggas because of the Gulf War Thingie.

Another time I couldn't get a fix on the satelites was when I was in very heavy fog. Bloody brilliant day as it turned.

I have a Garmin 120, yep the old bugga, but still going strong, battery must be just about to give up the ghost. I'll have to put all my marks on hard copy before I lose them.

Kerry
12-02-2002, 03:43 AM
Found out later that week, that the Yanks had used / scrambled the buggas because of the Gulf War Thingie.

Not so. At the start of the Gulf War the system at that point was very incomplete with only 16 satellites (total required 24+3). That number even over the Gulf only gave about 20 hours of 2D coverage and 15 hours of 3D coverage per day. The system/satellites were especially stable at that time as no shutdowns/maintainence could be done as that would have reduced the coverage even less. Besides that due to a shortage of military grade receivers there were more civilian receivers used by the military in the Gulf than military receivers. That's just an old wise tale.

Another time I couldn't get a fix on the satelites was when I was in very heavy fog. # Bloody brilliant day as it turned.

Generally not a lot to do with the fog?

I have a Garmin 120, yep the old bugga, #but still going strong, #battery must be #just about to give up the ghost. #I'll have to put all my marks on hard copy before I lose them.

Now that's a real good idea but do get around to doing it sooner than latter.

Cheers, Kerry.

shano
12-02-2002, 10:29 AM
magellan gps 3000xl for sale excelent condition,it is portable with both battery and 12 volt opperation,has external antenna and internal ,can upload plots from the internet (adaptor included)has 2 x holders for boat and car/4wd.$190 ono