PDA

View Full Version : Stradie classic?????

Dave_G
15-02-2002, 04:20 PM
I've been told the Straddie classic been cancelled, can anyone verify this and possibly the reason if its true. Thanks in advance. DaveG

webby
15-02-2002, 04:44 PM
From what i heard its to do with the reconstruction of the
hotel
regards

imported_admin
15-02-2002, 05:03 PM
Yep, Straddie has been cancelled for this year, may be on next year.

It would appear that it is due to the demolition of the old pub and construction of the new one.

May be the insurance premiums had a part in it as well. Looks like a few fishing comps will be canned due to the greedy insurance companies. Heard a rumour today that another Brisbane fishing comp has been cancelled as well, due to insurance premiums. Waiting for confirmation on this though so will not mention any names.

webby
15-02-2002, 05:22 PM
Public Lialability insurance in going to be the killer for a lot
of fish comp , since sept 11, club marine was looking at
pulling out of insuraning the hobart race due to massive
increases in insurance. we have not heard the last of
publice lialalibity yet, as from what ive heard the massive
increases that are about to happen, could even effect the
ordinary fish clubs that are incorporated, as most clubs
run on small overheads, a big increase in insurances will
will see a lot of the small clubs, resign there incorporation,
this will also effect a lot of comps run over the year, if these
increases occur, even a hike in entree fees will not cover
the increase. i have just renewed my pub/ins at work
and even going through a broker i had a 15% increase.
so what increases if they happen are they going to have on
the fishing industry/clubs/competitions.
regards

Lucky_Phill
15-02-2002, 05:25 PM
Absolutey right Steve.

The mail is that a lot of comps will be sent to the recycle bin due to over the top insurance premiums. As far as The Straddie Classic is concerned, for those of you who fished it last year, you only have reunions to look forward to. :(

Most of the comps around the state are run by the same promoter, and he is in it for the money ( that's how he makes a living ). After all it is a business. If he can't afford the insurance, then I don't believe anyone else can either. It's either put the entry prices up to " can't afford that fee " or drop the comps.

I, for one, would not loose any sleep over the comps shuting down. Salt water ones anyway. I think I have made my feelings felt on this matter here before. :P

Having said that, I think the comps were 99% run very professionally, and lots of prizes for kids in particular, was good for the local communities.

imported_admin
15-02-2002, 05:48 PM
Webby

15% increase, your lucky, a lot of places have had their public liability increase up to 800%.

Not sure how much Sept 11 had to do with it, could be more like H I H.

Public fear of another H I H colapse means that you have very few choices if you want to insure with a well known and solid insurance company. Resulting in the perception of little or no competition, and up go the prices. Put this together with the massive payouts and number of payouts that are now made due to this new wave of ambulance chasing legal eagles and everyone pays more for a few to profit.

And we use to think that sueing was an American pass time #:(

Randall
16-02-2002, 01:12 PM
Interesting about Public Liability Steve, yes, Sept 11 had a "marginal" effect. So too all the new "injury type claims" popping up around the place. But it was told to me from a prominent barristar friend of mine, (Whoops, I confess he`s a friend!!!) that the increases are just VERY greedy insurance companies riding on the crest of a wave and blaming things just like the Sept 11 and some major payouts.

Insurance companies rate lower than the legal profession in my books!!

My 2 bobs worth mate ;-)

Randall.