PDA

View Full Version : Update on Cruelty to Fish

Lucky_Phill
19-02-2002, 02:43 PM
Just got an answer to my email to the Minister on a subject that came up in December.

Mr Phillip Kliese
beefaboat@optusnet.com.au
Dear Mr Kliese
The Honourable Henry Palaszczuk, MP, Minister for Primary Industries and Rural Communities, has asked me to reply to your email of 3 January 2002 concerning the use of animals in film and television.
The draft Queensland Code of Practice for the Welfare of Animals in Film and Television should be read as a general guideline in outlining what are acceptable practices in the treatment of animals used for the production of film in Queensland by the film and television industry.

The intent of the code is embraced within the "Purpose" section. #That is to ensure that all animals are afforded minimum standards of management and care during the production process. #This includes the production of film for recreational or educational purposes, features, documentaries, videos or advertising.

The scope of the code (amongst other things) is to prevent cruelty and to ensure best practice in the treatment of animals used in or for production purposes.

The overriding animal welfare legislation within Queensland is the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001.

Fish fall within the definition of "animal" as defined by this Act. #Any code, code provision or activity undertaken with animals (in this case, fish) must be within the confines of this animal welfare legislation.

The legislation does not affect the application of the Fisheries Act 1994 which allows the catching of fish under certain circumstances. #Where fish are legally caught they too must be afforded adequate welfare treatment and either be released quickly or humanely killed. #It would not be acceptable to allow fish to be kept out of water and to die slowly.

There is no intent to prevent the types of televisions programs you mention from being produced and going to air. #The treatment of the animals though should be within what is considered reasonable under the draft code and must be within the confines of the legislation.
A copy of the draft code is attached for your information.
Yours sincerely

Fitzy
19-02-2002, 04:35 PM
Typical wishy-washy, non answer that Henry's office excels at pouring out, time after time. :-/
I still don't like the look of this, not one iota. Sorry to sound the pesimist but ambiguous rules are often exploited by do-gooders & their lawmen. Seen it happen before, can just picture some current affairs show running re-runs of Brownies or Rex & saying "shame, shame, shame". Remember the footage of those pig hunters on Derrin Hinch several years ago?

What's the bet I get to say "I told ya so"

Fitzy..

Jason_L
19-02-2002, 06:17 PM
My understanding of that is..

for example. Watching Rex Hunt fishing Adventures.

They don't show u them killing the fish on camera, and they let more go back as they are only catching them for educational purposes. ie. to show the viewer what bait,lure, etc they used, with instructions on how they did so.

and when they do keep the fish it gets taken away to be dealt with.

Fitzy
19-02-2002, 06:58 PM
Hi Jason,
If you follow the exact guidelines given, even holding a fish out of the water to talk about it, or show it to the camera is a big no no. To do so (by their reckoning) is being cruel to fish.
To hold a fish for a piccy to put in a fishing mag is out too, unless it clearly shows its throat cut, then its OK. :-/

Don't think that it wont go to that extreme, look at some of the things that the radical, do-gooder, wowser, renta crowd, rabid, feral, dole bludgin, dope smokin, dreadlock wearing, hippy greenie element has got thru various govt agencies in the past. I aint knockin conservationists here either, I am one. Rather refering to the ratbag element that simply crow about something just to be heard.

I saw exaclty this go thru the meat industry; first a guideline that you could "voluntarily" choose to follow, then wham bam thankyou maam is bloody compulsory. We went from mustering cattle sheep & pigs with horses, dogs & stockwhips to no horses, no dogs, no whips to not even being allowed to raise your voice or wave your arms at them for fear of hurting their feelings. :'( All this before we blew their skulls in with a bolt gun & cut their throats with heart still a beating. Note that over a dozen meat works in Qld shut down in the past few years with the cost of 27 000 jobs all up. Ever wonder why??

I can see the Cam Days from RSPCA with their finger in this thing up to their PHDs. Same fella recons that, & I quote Cam Day "no-one with less than 42 acres of land should be allowed a dog", end quote. :o Turn it up!!!

Fitzy..

Jack_Lives_Here
20-02-2002, 04:08 AM
A nothing answer from another fine representative of the people. WHAT A JOKE.

Hey guys seen it my industry as well - the "wrap everything in cotton wool brigade", slowly chippin away from the inside.

Laws are designed and enacted from the beliefs of a reasonable person. Short and long of it - If someone were to get pinched, it would come down to who's interpretation of the law the magistrate would sway towards.

Maybe the recreational groups need to get more political ?? Put the pressure back on them from within.

All the best
Jack

Cremated_Reddog
20-02-2002, 05:43 AM
Don't think that it wont go to that extreme, look at some of the things that the radical, do-gooder, wowser, renta crowd, rabid, feral, dole bludgin, dope smokin, dreadlock wearing, hippy greenie element has got thru various govt agencies in the past. I aint knockin conservationists here either, I am one. Rather refering to the ratbag element that simply crow about something just to be heard #

Jesus Fitzy I'm glad I aint one of these. damn pleased I have short hair and not dreadlocks.... hahahahaha :P :-[

Lucky_Phill
20-02-2002, 04:17 PM
I have now read the whole " Act " and do not want to post it here. Too many pages of bullshit.
Anyway, one thing I did notice is that if you are catching a fish " for the sake of the film ", then that fish is not to held out of the water for more than 30 seconds. And no, one fish shall be removed from the water more than 3 times in one day. Further, if using an animal ( fish ), in any filming, that animal must have on set, an " expert " in that animals field, to oversee any and all uses of that animal. AAARRRGGGHHH ! :P :P ???

Hey Fitzy, I prefer to call them, Skirt wearing, Shandie drinking, bed wetting, fairies......... and that's the words I can put into print. ;D

This calls for another letter to our beloved Minister. How should I start it ?

jaybee
20-02-2002, 04:33 PM
How bout G'day you Skirt wearing, Shandie drinking, bed wetting, fairies, jobs for the boys, come out into the real world and see if you can do better...oh by the way phil ask em if any of em go fishing and how they treat their fish er animals.. ??? I dont think i can recall ever watching a show (fishing) where a fish (animal) is treated inhumanely if i spelt it rite..I think i can speak for most fishos...that fish that are caught are returned as quick as possible with as little fuss as possible..thats fishing.. so does this also mean that we can watch malcom douglas go hunting with the aboriginals any more..i really like watching those shows living off the land..mmm just a thougth..maybe you can ask the government to put more money into research (jobs for the boys) to invent painless hooks..n special gear to pick up and handle the fish...what next maybe we will have to sterilise our feet before walking down the ramp n getting into the boat eh.. ;D

Jason_L
20-02-2002, 09:58 PM
next thing u know they'll be saying the hook going into the fishes mouth is cruelity to animals.

and netting them causes too much stress.

Katrina
21-02-2002, 05:02 PM
;) Have to agree guys, what a crock! Sometimes I don't know what the world is coming to. :-/