PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Stanage Bay ?

Lucky_Phill
25-02-2002, 05:05 PM
Got told about Stanage Bay a while ago, and now come across more info. What I need is condition of road into the place, what size boat to take up, accomodation types, areas to fish, time of year to fish, and most importantly, which came first, the chicken or the egg ???

Saw info on new charter operator starting in April. 7 day package with transfers from Brisvegas, all inclusive except for tackle, costs around $1300. Sounds good. Anyone helping me here ?

Cremated_Reddog
25-02-2002, 05:28 PM
Nope no one helping phill but sounds like I should be joining you there... hahahahah

Reddog

Jason_L
25-02-2002, 06:03 PM
stanage bay.. .....

we don't need to go there. we have a lil beach hour 1hour up the road at a lil place called Clairview.

U can buy blocks of land for $50,000.... and thats right on the water.

Tidal boat ramp insures the place will never be fished out.
for maps look at the Broadsound area.

good fishing in a boat or off teh beach, 4X4 or atv required.

an excellent spot.

never been to stanage bay, but the turn off is about 50min north of Rockhampton, followed by a 1 - 2 hour well used, rough dirt road.

only things you have to check before going there is that the area isn't closed due to military exercises

Lucky_Phill
26-02-2002, 01:01 PM
Onya Drew ;D

Ta Jason, is the road into Stanage closed when the Army are there or just the land content and border areas out to sea ?

Jason, I see Clareview on the map , but , shoot, it's a 80 - 100 k trip by boat to where I want to fish. Stanage seems like a nice protected spot and less than an hours run to the home of " Monster " fish ( according to the info I have ).

I see Flock Pidgeon Island and McEwen, I suppose that is where most of you head chasing a fish or two. Love those rocky edges around the islands up there. Big Poppas = Big Trevally ;) :o

I'll keep checking in here, as someone must have the good oil on the place.
??? ;D ;)

Jason_L
26-02-2002, 01:45 PM
we don't really go to Flock Pigeon. it's not really deep enough and there isn't much water there at low tide

We usually head out to Avoid Island, Caught some nice cod there as well as bluey's.

then there is Red Clay. Monster Cod there 5foot long. the size u can't pull in..

Aquilla is the 3rd island worth fishing. caugth cod, 5kg jacks, 5kg fingermark, bluey's,

we've found 2 bommy's in 60ft of water coming up to 40ft. just waiting for the day to be perfectly calm to get there. they are just off aquilla

I think when stanage bay is closed. it's just the "on water" area. aparently it's really good deep sea fishing there. get big jews, everything.
but like i said. you'd have to check to see the exact boundries.

adza
27-02-2002, 05:41 PM
just answering the question about the road in. When the Army is on exercise the main road into stanage bay remains open as it isnt in the boundries of shoalwater bay.
The stanage bay road is kept in a fairly good condition but can get corrigated at times.
I have talked to some locals up there and they say that the crabs are big and numerous so it might pay to take a pot or two.

cheers Adza

Buzz
28-02-2002, 12:12 PM
It's been a while since I've been, about a year but last time I was there the road wasn't bad. Any boat over 11 foot is fine in the bay But 15' is ideal. Watch the strong tides! Even a 10knot wind against the tide can make for an interesting trip home. Sharks are plentifull and good fun but there are stories of monster Jew in the hole and I found good reef fish outside arround the islands.