PDA

View Full Version : When you guys use a baitcaster do you...

Roman
12-02-2002, 11:14 AM
use your right hand to cast then put it in your left hand so you can retrieve with your right hand.
Or did you learn to cast with your left hand? Or do you use a left handed reel, and learn to build up the strength in your left hand for retrieving?

kc
12-02-2002, 11:24 AM
Right hand cast and then swap over. Everyone I fish with does the same thing. It becomes very natural after a while and you don't even notice that you swap hands.

Good luck, baitcasters are sensational once you learn how to use them well.

Cheers
kc

Fitzy
12-02-2002, 11:44 AM
I get a giggle out of watchin people cast & then change hands to retreive. ;D
I'm a natural south paw, but use what everyone calls a "right handed" reel.
Easy for me, I cast with my left & wind with my right. No changing #hands & no missed fish when a strike happens on splash down & the rod is in mid-change over.
I would advise all you right handers to get left handed reels, once converted, you'll be amazed at how much easier fishing becomes. You get the strength & quicker reactions of having your good arm on the rod all the time, which is a big bonus when fighting fast fish in tight water.
You may have to pay a bit more for left handed over heads tho. For once in my life something for a lefty is cheeper. :P

Cheers,

Fitzy..

shep
12-02-2002, 12:54 PM
Yeh as most people do i change hands from right to left most of the time.
I'm pretty lucky though i seem to be able to cast both hands fairly well (comes in handy in small creeks) but i'm definately right handed and i swap hands after i cast 99% of the time you don't even notice after a while

Quote work is for people who don't fish!

Cheers Shep
8)

jaybee
13-02-2002, 12:22 PM
When i first bought a bait caster i used to swear a lot then i become used to it n smiled a lot then i started swearing a lot again ..replaced the damn thing and now i smile again...from what i understand tho..if u r thumbing it properly even if u do get a strike on splashdown thats what the thumb is for ... correct me if i am wrong tho..rex hunt uses a spinning reel left handed and i believe he uses a baitcaster right handed..i mite have to give left hand casting a try..i can cast left handed with a spinning reel..mmmmmmm

Chris_J
13-02-2002, 01:11 PM
I use a cast called a rollin' side arm therefore i use both hands at once.....see my left hand stay in the same place as when im winding and i use my right hand to power the movement.....my left thumb does the need spool control...........so yeah i use both ;D...but i guess im just skilled ;)

CJ :)

jaybee
13-02-2002, 01:40 PM
Onya CJ i was about to apply to uni to get a degree in what you said..but i think i worked it out lol ;D

Fisherman02
23-02-2002, 03:11 PM
hi guys
I just got a baitcaster given to me and i'm all new to this baitcaster thing........ On a threadline you lift the metal bar to cast while holding the line with ur index, but what do you do to enable casting with a baitcaster?
keep cool guys 8)
cheers jack

Randall
23-02-2002, 04:28 PM
Jack, welcome to the world of baitcast frustration. I`ll show you next time I see you. No amount of written text can explain a feeling!!
Baitcast reels are the ducks nuts when you master them, but until then, you will have many hours of frustration. If you go sharkin this weekend, dont try to cast the livey out, you will end up with a big mess. Simply let the livey swim out in free-spool. Free spool means clicking the thumb bar down so that the spool runs out.

Trust me...I`m an angler!! ;-)

Regards,. Randall.

webby
24-02-2002, 03:38 AM
;D ;D ;D i wont give u any advice, as i have enought
trubs of my own with them.
"" Randal "im a angler" thems powerful words on this site :P :P (you better have a word to Steve they need a Powerful
Angler as a Moderator] might get youself a Promotion
from EX Junior to Moderator ;D ;D ;D

Randall
24-02-2002, 08:12 AM
Webby, maybe I should have said, "I`m a hacker, trust me" ?? ;-)

Mate, I can spin a mean Birdsnest when I want to!!! Just ask Fitzy.

Randall.

shano
24-02-2002, 03:16 PM
got to love the bird nest no matter how long i have been casting for i still mannage to get that bloody birdnest affect... but i spose we need something to entertain us between bites hey... has anyone ever had a hit whilst having birdnested there baitcaster????

jaybee
24-02-2002, 04:45 PM
I had one the other day shano but guess what it was on the spin reel not the bait caster...for some reason when i cast the nest appeared at the tip of the rod..i had just changed from using the bait caster to the spin n a longer tippier rod but hey i managed to hand line the fish to the boat only for it to throw the lure..thats fishing eh..i laughed my bro cried..was a good flathead..thems the breaks..i got a kick out of it tho..but thats what flick n retrieve is all about eh ...LOL ;D i dont know i mite have the dreaded fishing pox eh..but i am rite into catch n release lately just love it...on lures
cheers 8)

Sniper
03-03-2002, 07:59 AM
Birdies happen to everyone. Especially when using that fine Fireline like I do. I was once told tha tto minimalise the chance of the dredded backlash is to strip the line off after every 30-40 or so casts and to wind it back on under pressure. Got to say it does reduce the number of birdies one gets. Especially when using soft plastics and surface lures.
As to the left/right handed casting question, whatever you feel is comfortable. I myself usually cast righthander but can use my left and cast underhanded also(not to well thought).
Just keep that thumb on the spool.
Billyboy 8)

Brett_Finger
04-03-2002, 03:12 AM
Wish i had tahught myself to cast left handed wheni started this sport.
Hookin,Brett