PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Fishing License

fredfranga
24-02-2002, 10:09 AM
;D
Does anyone know where to start looking to purchase a commercial fishing license for queensland category N2 & N8?
Any help would be grateful.

webby
24-02-2002, 09:07 PM
:-X :-X the last thing we want is more commerical licences
maybe a licence to fish your pool would suffice ;D ;D

Luke
24-02-2002, 09:15 PM
Buy a recreational licence- now thats where the future is and I've got a sneaking suspicion the government feels the same way.
Luke

Fitzy
24-02-2002, 09:17 PM
Hi Fred,
I'm unsure if you post is genuine or a flamer. :-/ My finger is hovering over the delete button, but I'll give your post the benefit of the doubt for the present & assume it is a genuine enquiry. We'll see how things pan out.

Why not contact Qld Fisheries Services about licences, they are the ones who issue them. Or even contact the QCFO.

jaybee
24-02-2002, 09:40 PM
My reply is the same as Fitzy contact the Qld Fisheries Services for a license..I can tell you now they arent handing out licenses to newbies...and that was 15 yrs ago so I got my license in NSW. To only run n 18 foot boat and hand line but i did well. But you cant do it today and survive so fish for fun and keep what you need not for greed but the qld gov are all about wholesale slaugter to those who have em (license) thats my peace (piece) maybe u r a flamer eh :P

Gazza
25-02-2002, 05:40 AM
;D
Does anyone know where to start looking to purchase a commercial fishing license for queensland category N2 & N8?
Any help would be grateful.

Good Stir Fred #::),can't help with the Comm.Licence ,but willing to offer a few nice bridges at a bargain price #??? to suit your pocket #8) 8)
Regards
Gazza

fredfranga
28-02-2002, 06:06 AM
Nice Stir? #Flamer? #Admittably I am a new member, these terms are unfamiliar to me.

I tell you, my querie is genuine. #I have researched the topic and have begun a business plan to begin a new career as a commercial fisherman / crabber, and to work for myself. #I have spoken with the Dept. of fisheries in Qld and have been told that they do not give out new licenses anymore. #So to repeat and maybe clarify my question a little more, I'll go again. #A friend, Master Fisherman, has told me that as they are not for sale by the Govt. they may be still purchased from around $40 000-$50 000, or leased for $7 000-$10 000 per annum. #The magazine Trade-a-Boat has some licenses for sale and lease. #What I am asking I guess is not for opinion from tree-huggers but does anyone know of any other source other than the magazine previously mentioned where I might be able to locate one of these licenses, either to buy or lease.

Thanks go to those with genuine reply.

webby
28-02-2002, 02:33 PM
>:( I Dont class myself as a "Treehugger", But i do care for
whats left of our water environment and what lives in it.
For too long our waters have been "Pillaged and Raped" of
its stocks. Yes we do need commericals to cater for the
hordes of Eating Factories (restruants)and for those that dont like catching but like #to indulge in the seas products .
A Big Big Reduction is needed in the number of Licences
available.
1. To Help some very depeleted stocks Survive and Replenish.
2. The By Catch is horrendous (a 12mth survey by DPI not long ago #showed 1,000,000 small squire alone in Morten
bay ended up as By Catch. #Now you can't tell me thats
acceptable)
3.. The Bag/Size limits need to be changed drastically and
very soon for Amatures
4. The Catchable gross tonnage on most Commericals
needs also some very drastic cuts.
5. DPI needs some big boots up there Rear-End. You can
walk into most wholesale seafood markets and find both
fish/crabs under legal sizes and nothing seems to be done
about it, are vast majority must come from commericals
6. I am not blaming the commericals fully, but out of 100%
85% must go to the commerical and the other 15% to those
parasicitic amatuers that dont give a shit what they catch
and take home, and not giving a damm about the future.
And You Wonder Why you Received some Derogatory
Comments about your post on this Website.
regards Brian

Katrina
28-02-2002, 05:29 PM
:-/ ;) Reality check. The fisheries can in no way sustain the kind of over fishing happening. How long do you reckon you could make an income out of it? Check out your long term strategies in your business plan. Who is going to replenish all the fish you and all the other commercial "fisherman" "catch"? Get yourself a property and start a fish farm/aquaculture. It's the way of the future. Good luck, but get on the right track. It's not a matter of tree hugging. I want my kids to grow up and be able to take their kids fishing (and actually catch fish!) It's hard enough to do that now. >:(

fredfranga
01-03-2002, 08:21 AM
;D ;D

Well folks, just to let those that are interested know that it is possible to enter the world of comercial fishing and crabbing, I received a phone call from a license broker and am in the process of leasing a fishing and crabbing license for a 12 month period.
Today I rang and ordered 75x4 funnell pots, and 3x150yd nets and 3x400yd nets all with 6" squares. You might say gee that would have cost a bit but the potential is there to make the money back in two to three weeks. ;D Yes, I am excited. I expect to start fishing/work within the next ten days.
I am not deterred by some of your comments, having heard them all before whilst roo shooting in western Qld. Do not panic, fingerling Red eyes sell for one cent per mm and there is enough farmers(aqua) who are restocking the waterways.
I will keep you posted on how I go and hope no one is offended by the prospect of my new business. I know the regulations concerned with proffessional fishing and will abide by them, fish are releasable after being taken in a net. Although I don't think an undersize is going to lodge himself in a 6" square.
Don't think that I still won't fish recreationally, as I have a young family consisting of three children who all love to fish. There will be fish around when there children are fishing, so don't be fooled by these so called scientific predictions and surveys predicting the end of fishing in a generation or two. If you are going fishing and don't come home with at least a feed, you are doing something very wrong.

Please refrain from being critical as if I wasn't doing it, someone else would be. This way I can support my family in a way better than they are accustomed, least that is the plan.

squire
01-03-2002, 09:44 AM
Fredfranga while one man should never nock another mans ability to work and provide for his family another man should not knock the hard work researchers do to provide a living for their families and the work they do to ensure that the recreational activities we have today are still here for our kids to enjoy in the future. however visual fact shows that when I was a kid fishing with my father fish were everywhere and today well they arn't. so there for with the population in Australia expected to increase by a half of what is now in the next 50 years This is the visual senario. year 1970 fish population to big to know population 11 million. Year 2002 we dont seem to be catching many fish population 18 million. Year 2050 population 27 million fish what are they mate dont know but my dad used to talk about it all the time.

DR
01-03-2002, 09:45 AM
C'mon this is a forum used by recreational fishers. You didn't really expect too much assistance, did you?? I suppose the Spotties have decided to holiday elsewhere other than Moreton Bay? That ring netting up the coast has nothing to do with it ! You will never convince me that eventually I'll have to take up water skiing so that i will have a use for my boat, Between you people,the recreational greedy & those who take undersized fish. The future could be grim.

just my opinion
DR

Luke
01-03-2002, 10:08 AM
Fredfrangar,
I agree with Squire mate. As a young fella I used to go fishing with my father(wasn't that often) and we would always get a feed -very recreational at that. Now I'm a lot more serious about fishing and catch fewer fish- there is absolutely no doubt about it-or maybe I'm doing something seriously wrong as you say-your'e the pro so I'd guess you'd know.
Luke

Jack_Lives_Here
01-03-2002, 01:42 PM
6" mesh, Hmmmmm! If you take the large breeding fish out of the system, how do species survive??

I'm not a supporter of Pro netting / catching. Let's get the terminology right and not kid ourselves. Netting is just plane and simple catching so I don't see how you can call this "Pro fishing". How many Pro's look long term?? You've said it yourself - you can recoupe your initial outlay in a matter of weeks. The $$$$ signs rolling in the head blind people to long term.

Feed your family long term - aquaculture and export to Asian markets is the business of the future - hey something wild and crazy - wouldn't that feed your kid's kids??

My two cents

Jack

Kerry
01-03-2002, 03:33 PM
Somedays it really amazes me how some people who live on this Island of ours (Australia) blame everybody else for what they percieve to be the problem.

Honestly where does one start with some of the comments here ::) Fish farm/aquaculture what a joke :o with some of the damage attributed to them.More close inshore reef damage from some of these so called environmental "friendly" fish farms than one could poke a stick at >:( >:(

Everybody please move to the centre of the country if one really wants to see some improvements or does everybody want their cake and eat it too.

Cheers, Kerry.

Wesley_Pang
01-03-2002, 04:13 PM
Kerry,

I agree that fish farming is not the answer. It does not make sense to catch one fish to feed another fish(eg yakka to feed SA tuna). The side effect of fish farming are numerous.

There is no easy answer.

Are people willing to pay for a sustainable fishery?

Wes

Katrina
01-03-2002, 05:32 PM
>:( >:( Grrrrrrr >:( >:(

Lucky_Phill
01-03-2002, 06:10 PM
Well Fred, it appears you've just been crossed off a few Christmas card lists. :(

Jus a question for ya ...

If the farmer plants seeds and harvests crops and the Dairy takes just the milk from cows, and the sheep farmer takes just the wool, and the egg farmer just takes eggs, and the cattleman raises cattle,

WHAT THE HELL DOES THE PRO FISHER PUT IN ?

Did I hear a gulp ? Oh ! did you say Zip, Zilch, Naught, Nil, Nothing and Not a sausage,,,,,, :o

Oh that's right, I have to feed the kids :P

In a few years when you are sitting at home eating bread and jam for dinner, and the kids want to know, how come they can't have KFC.... just tell them, it's cause I caught all the fish and there's none left and i can't find a real job.

Sorry Fred :P

Jack_Lives_Here
02-03-2002, 04:57 AM
Hey Kerry / Wesley take off the blinkers. Why would you just think aquaculture is throwing a ring net up in the ocean and putting some tuna or whatever in it - that amazes me!

Dams, grow out ponds etc that can be miles from any ocean - even the middle of the country ;D.
It might not be the answer but it's a step in a positive direction.

Isn't a freshwater impoundment license NSW Recreational Fishing license paying for a sustainable fishery???

BINGO Phill. Right on the money there.

Fitzy
02-03-2002, 12:57 PM
Nice Stir? #Flamer? #Admittably I am a new member, these terms are unfamiliar to me.

I tell you, my querie is genuine. #I have researched the topic and have begun a business plan to begin a new career as a commercial fisherman / crabber, and to work for myself. #I have spoken with the Dept. of fisheries in Qld and have been told that they do not give out new licenses anymore. #So to repeat and maybe clarify my question a little more, I'll go again. #A friend, Master Fisherman, has told me that as they are not for sale by the Govt. they may be still purchased from around $40 000-$50 000, or leased for $7 000-$10 000 per annum. #The magazine Trade-a-Boat has some licenses for sale and lease. #What I am asking I guess is not for opinion from tree-huggers but does anyone know of any other source other than the magazine previously mentioned where I might be able to locate one of these licenses, either to buy or lease.

Thanks go to those with genuine reply.

Hi Fred,
Haven't read any of the other replies yet, but I would say your best bet after reading your post above is to contact the QFCO. I'm sure they'd list this sort of stuff there for existing & prospective members.

Kerry
02-03-2002, 04:24 PM
Well people #::) hows this for logic #>:(, #5kg's of protein to produce 1 kg of prawns #???, not a bad effort considering the protein is fish meal #;D (and guess who catches that #;)), with all the crap being discharged right on your doorstep #:P and doing far more damage to close inshore reef areas in the past 10 years that one could poke a stick at.

Can't recall too many real "fish farms" too far from the ocean as they sort of require sea water AND somewhere to discharge the "leftovers" #::)

Talk about tunnel vision #;D, ,looks like blinkers are in fashion.

Cheers, Kerry.

Katrina
02-03-2002, 05:01 PM
:o :oHELLO Ever heard of building dams/ponds and raising fish in FRESHWATER! YES, It is possible, and YES you can be a long way from the sea. The waste can be broken down and use to improve the terribly degraded lands that exist in inland Australia. There is more than one kind of fish farming. Take of your blinkers, matey! :o :o

Wesley_Pang
02-03-2002, 05:50 PM
Guys,

I don't want to get into a shouting match.

I just want to point out that Aquaculture is not the magic answer. Its better to plan for a sustainable fishery rather than let our natural fishery go to hell and try and cover it up by farming fish.

I haven't got figure to back me up(if some one has please contribute). Most farm fish is saltwater, with probably salmon begin the most popular(with the popularity of smoked salmon and sushi), with prawns and tuna somewhere behind(the tuna command huge prices in japan).

Apart from the silver perch(swimming around in the live tank in our favourite chinese resturants) and baby barra, there is not a lot of freshwater farmed fish about. Most aussies prefer saltwater fish to freshwater.

If most farmed fish are feed fish meal, it doesn't make sense. Rape the sea to feed pet fish?? The fish meal may come from overseas. So we destroy someone else's environment to save ours. Will this introduce disease into our fishery??

I don't believe we can let the natural fishery decline and somehow save the situation by stocking a couple of farm dams(unless they are as big as the Pacific Ocean).

I wish there was an easy answer, but I'm afraid there isn't. We just have to look after the planet we are on, and share the resource.

Anyone seen the sci-fi move starring Charlton Heston called "Soylent Green"? If you haven't get it out at the video shop!!

Wes

Katrina
02-03-2002, 06:03 PM
:-/ Point taken and I agree with 99% if what you say. Just trying to discourage commercial raping of our seas, that' s all. It will take more than one idea or method to improve the situation. I have discussed this on another board, and I don't really want to get in too deeply, but dams built on salinated land can be used to provide salt water for aquaculture. If people want to harvest fish commercially, they should at least attempt to "grow" some.

fredfranga
03-03-2002, 05:26 AM
:oHave you ever eaten fish out of a freshwater fish farm?
:-XUnless it is purges correctly, absolutely disgusting, unless you like a weedy, muddy flavour. And who knows what the ingredients are in the fishmeal that they are fed?
My mate has a freshwater Barra farm and sell his fingerlings and donates some as well to the DPI, out of the goodness of his heart, cause they are worth a lot more 12 months later on the live fish market at $21 per kilo. We have eaten it out of the fresh and it is foul :PLately he has been purging the fish in Salt Water with out feed for two days, and you don't need nearly as much herb and spice to disguise the flavour.

Disguise the flavour........of Barrumundi?
Catch one out of the salt and you don't need any flavours just bake and eat.

There will always be fish stocking programs, paid for out of illegal fishing fines, donations, govt funding etc.....don't forget there is limits minimums and maximums, the large breeders are in the maximums and set nets don't kill fish, just catch them. Crabs have restrictions on jennys so where is the breeding problem.Know the topic!

Also the bloke with the farm says that he has some customers (tree hugger enviro's)who buy fish to stock the waterways. We laugh at them. they won't buy 100mm fish with a better chance of survival(rate of 60%) but they buy the cheaper version of 10mm with a lower chance(bottom of the food chain 5 - 15% survival)He is now running 75% red claw crays now as there is more of a market. Only the export market is really interested in farmed Barra as they don't know what a real one tastes like.

NEXT TIME YOU EAT A FISH THAT TASTES EXTREMELY DISGUSTING IMAGINE THE FARM IT CAME FROM, THE GROWTH HORMONES IN THE FEED AND THANK GOD FOR THE PRO FISHERMAN !!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D :D ;)

Kerry
03-03-2002, 05:52 AM
Farmed aquaculture, tasteless :-X now that would have to be an understatement. Most if it is plain horrible.

Not even Sunfish has too many nice things to say about fish farming. Interesting why most of the Taiwan farms have closed down (and moved to Oz >:() but it's obvious some don't like the facts to get in the way of poor reasoning/excuses when it suits the purpose.

http://www.sunfish.org.au/articles/Rawprawn.htm

Cheers, Kerry.

Gazza
03-03-2002, 05:56 AM
THANK GOD FOR THE PRO FISHERMAN !!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D :D ;)

Hey Fred ,shouldn't you be out WORKING for us #::) ???

OR did you forget to buy a boat 8) with all those nets you purchased ::) ::)

webby
03-03-2002, 07:42 AM
Kerry.
Was wondering???? of all the Post youve recorded on this
site, your responses are very Techs-book like, you also
see critical/dammning of peoples opionions in regards to
protecting and ways of saving our watery environment.Yet
you have never put on screen your thoughts personnelly.
The photo of your boat (is a good example) two half motors
taken underwater (ive seen similiar in a magazine).
Was wondering if the only line and hook you've used is the
fibre optics from your computer to the net.
Eagerly awaiting your own thoughts/ideas on what everyone
else seems to be failing at "The Longivity of our Sea Life"
regards

Kerry
03-03-2002, 09:55 AM
Webby, keep wondering ;D. Now you give me one good reason why I should plaster the boat or anything else over the net for your benefit ???.

As for protecting or saving our watery environment (as you put it) then really the place to look in the first instance is upstream but unfortuneately some don't won't to see what's under their own beds.

Too many got their head in the sand.

Cheers, Kerry.

Luke
03-03-2002, 12:13 PM
Why is the Northern Territory sustainable, thriving, and also a valuable rescource to those in the know and those willing to protect it?
Cheers Luke

Katrina
03-03-2002, 12:34 PM
??? Kerry why are you here? Most people here are friendly, and willing to share ideas, and photos of their pride and joys. If you're just here to stir up a hornet's nest, well, go to the $h!t stirrers post board or something. There's just no need for this aggro. This site, I believe is aimed at rec fisher's, so why is a pro fisher and his mates stirring up in here. Dunno, maybe you should go fishing or something! :P

Katrina
03-03-2002, 12:41 PM
;D In regards to the flavour of freshwater fish, I thought this was about making money, not about flavour!!! ::)

Luke
03-03-2002, 01:42 PM
Cmon K,
what would they talk about on a pro board. Killed a few pests today wish they'd stay out of my nets. Dam turtles etc.etc

Katrina
03-03-2002, 01:51 PM
;D Nevermind the dugongs, hey!!

webby
03-03-2002, 02:43 PM
Kerry, For a start i done care if you fish in the bathtub or 100
miles offshore, on a raft or ocean liner.
Quote. Somedays it really amazes me how some people
who live on this inland of our (aust) blame everybody else for
what they preceive to be the problem.
1, we all know whats coming down our rivers and creeks, and
whats its doing to close inshore environments, have you ever
stopped and though what your own domestice waste is doing
and where its going.
2. aquaculture. at least some people have realized that the
pillaging of our seas must stop and until a better solution is
achieved (fishfarms) are the next best thing at present.
3. the orignal post was in regards to Commericals, the whole
post has gone off track. most who replied have given their
personnel verdicts on what they think should be done.
that is why i challenged you, you still have not given your
verdict on the haves and havenots of Commerical Fishing
damage, to some species that are on the verge of extinction
regards

Kerry
03-03-2002, 04:05 PM
Gunna have to live in the real world people :o and unfortuneately some are so far left of center that any center ground is simply too hard to understand.

Obviously some don't like broad discussion without calling it agro :P

No really some are only prepared to look at one little bit without the whole picture.

And Webby do you really think it's constructive feeding every kg of hatch raised prawns 5kg of the real ocean stuff. Where do you thing that 5kg comes from ;D, the corner store. That's the logic some have got to get beyond first before any glimer of middle ground discussion.

But that right, hey some just want their own ground regardless even if it doesn't make all that much sense (in the real world) or not.

Got me bugger'd why there's even discussion on what photo's get posted or not, is there a point ???

Cheers, Kerry.

Katrina
03-03-2002, 04:38 PM
:P Big sigh!! ::) ::) ::) ;)

fredfranga
04-03-2002, 01:03 PM
:)
TO ALL AUSFISH MEMBERS !

I AM GRATEFUL FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUTS AND VARYING POINTS OF VIEW.

I APOLOGISE PROFUSELY IF ANYONE HAS BEEN OFFENDED.

I SOLEMNLY PROMISE NEVER TO TALK ABOUT COMMERCIAL FISHING AGAIN UNLESS IT IS A REPLY TO SOMEONE ELSES POST.

AGAIN THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK, GOOD AND BAD :D

Katrina
04-03-2002, 01:33 PM
;D thank you!! ;)

Luke
04-03-2002, 02:47 PM
Good to hear the Bega is to be out of bounds for the pros soon because of the brave action by one man. Thats a start. ;D