PDA

View Full Version : lanoline

adrian
25-01-2002, 04:24 AM
saw this product at springwood marine .lanoline is greese from sheeps wool ( byproduct ) also saw it on landline on the abc . I would like to know peples thoughts on it ??? I've tried it on a few things seems to work alright . they say that when sprayed on your hull will give less drag . don't know if it's true . has anyone tried this product out if so what are the results ?so has anyone got any other uses for this product

anzac

Jack_Lives_Here
25-01-2002, 07:19 AM
The hull idea sounds briiliant if it's true. I'll keep an eye on this posting for feedback on that.

Good for conditioning, waterproofing and softening leather boots. I've still

I know Australian military have been using a lanoline based product for a while now. I think it's called lanotech. ???

Jack

imported_admin
25-01-2002, 07:22 AM
Hi

Haven't used the product myself but have heard good things about it from several people that have used it. Seems to have 1000's of uses, you can find out more on their website http://www.ramshead.com.au/

Cremated_Reddog
25-01-2002, 12:15 PM
Hiya's, well I have used lanolene spray on the hull of a glass boat and yes it does reduce the drag effect... the spray that was used is call aussie spray made up the road from my old place.. use it just like wd40 and such but not good for reels as it leaves a sticky film on things....

Reddog

dazza
26-01-2002, 02:44 AM
I have been using "Lanoguard" for a while now and it is a good product. I use it like WD40. It leaves a film on things ie. outboard. It is made near Brisbane somewhere. I also have a tub of "grease" made out of the same stuff. Don't put the spray on reels etc as it is a bit tacky. Havent tried the grease in a reel though. Dunno about putting it on the hull.
Cheers
Dazza

dnej
26-01-2002, 09:57 AM
:) ;) :DGees its interesting, I asked Nugget about this six months ago, then had to do some research for my tinny.

I now have an agency for the whole range, so let me know if I can help you out. (follett@ ozemail.com.au) ,just a hobby.

Lanolin is excellent for aluiminium boats, stops the corrosion extremely well.Excellent as an anti foul on hulls, and does give you exta glide in the water. Goes on soft, then hardens as it comes in contact with the salt water. For that reason ,dont put it any where near your steering. if you have a push pull type set up.Tends to clag up the mechanism.Superb on radio and aerial components.

I stripped my boat down,pulled out the floor,horror of horrors,salt water corrosion, got the corrosion fixed then covered the inside of the hull to protect from future errosion.
Quick silver boats at Port Douglas had a major corrosion problem where they had missed putting the Lanolin on.

Sure is good stuff
Let me know if you want some supplies
Regards David

Kerry
27-01-2002, 06:06 AM
Good on battery terminals but R/S on canopy zips.

Cheers, Kerry.

adrian
28-01-2002, 11:13 AM
i've sprayed it on the outboard leg and has increased the grip on the water as now i have to hold the wheel to stop the boat from going round in circles will try hull before next trip out to see how it goes
anzac

Volvo
30-01-2002, 11:36 AM
:) ;) :DGees its interesting, I asked Nugget about this six months ago, then had to do some research for my tinny.

I now have an agency for the whole range, so let me know if I can help you out. (follett@ ozemail.com.au) ,just a hobby.

Lanolin is excellent for aluiminium boats, stops the corrosion extremely well.Excellent as an anti foul on hulls, and does give you exta glide in the water. Goes on soft, then hardens as it comes in contact with the salt water. For that reason ,dont put it any where near your steering. if you have a push pull type set up.Tends to clag up the mechanism.Superb on radio and aerial components.

I stripped my boat down,pulled out the floor,horror of horrors,salt water corrosion, got the corrosion fixed then covered the inside of the hull to protect from future errosion.
Quick silver boats at Port Douglas had a major corrosion problem where they had missed putting the Lanolin on.

Sure is good stuff
Let me know if you want some supplies
Regards David

Dave did ya get my E-mail

Jeremy
01-02-2002, 03:44 AM
I have been using lanoguard as rust protection for my boat trailer and 4WD. It is great stuff and heaps more effective than fish oil. Big thumbs up from me!

Jeremy

Tailor
01-02-2002, 04:10 PM
Gday,

There is a slight difference between Lanoguard and Lanotec.

Lanotec was the stuff that was on Landline. Lanoguard uses a petrochemical base (flammable and toxic)

Lanotec uses a different type of base in the product making it non-toxic.

Both very good products.

Cheers

adrian
04-03-2002, 10:12 AM
hi gang
did a trip to the wreaks at morten and to north straddie on the weekend a total of 160 km and the total fuel for the two trips was 55 ltrs . normally trips to the wrecks takes nearly a 3/4 of a tank and a normal trip to staddie takes a half a tank;D. so we think that this product is helping wonders with my fuel consumption after we sprayed the product on the hull of the boat and the interior.
note:DO NOT SPRAY ON WINDSCREEN AS IT IS A PAIN TO WASH OFF. :'(

duckman
05-03-2002, 01:58 PM
Have used Lanoline in the grease form dipping the thread of a s/s screw into it when fixing into alluminium as it creates a barrier between the stainless steel screw and the alluminium.This reduces the chemical reactions which may occur between the two different metals by preventing them from actually touching.
Duckman

Lucky_Phill
05-03-2002, 05:02 PM
These wool grease products have been around a long time. It's just that people didn't figure something so simple could work so effective.

I have used it ( Lanotech )on my trailer and found it a good barrier to rust, but is collects a little dust, that's why I'll stick to Tectyl.

The wool grease products have a multitude of uses and I believe that in the near future, everyone will know of them. Petrolium based products will be replaced with the natural stuff like Lanotech. :D

Smithy
05-03-2002, 06:52 PM
It is supposed to work as anti-fouling as well. Marine organisms don't like to grow on it.

Kerry
06-03-2002, 07:11 AM
Not really into viral marketing (as some might have already noticed ;)) but would somebody like to distinguish between Lanotech & Lanolin which supposedly has the same base but some of the newer products appear to be breaking down so there must be some underlying difference ???

Cheers, Kerry.

imported_admin
06-03-2002, 07:49 AM
Kerry

As you no dought know, Lanolin is the base product that all these products are derived from.

Some of these products remain mostly natural. From what I have been told, some products contain lonolin as well as petrochemical products. You would need to obtain a data sheet from each manufacturer though to confirm this.

Have a look at the Lanoguard website - http://www.lanoguard.com for contact details and info. Could not find a site for Lanotech. Hopefully someone might know of it.

Kerry
06-03-2002, 08:04 AM
Steve, I think it should be Lanotec (not Lanotech) which may then make 3 different product lines? Lanoguard, Lanotec & Woolube Lanolin or has names changed.

Cheers, Kerry.