PDA

View Full Version : Tailor Debacle

Vern_Veitch
05-03-2002, 05:15 PM
The Queensland Government is facing an acid test on this tailor debate at present. Are they prepared to sacrifice millions of dollars in tourism revenue for a $400 000 commercial fishery? It seems so. Why not use some of the PPV levy from this year to buy them out? Because it is being skimmed of the top to shine seats in DPI. Sunfish only gets 10% - the rest of it goes to "research", "management" and the so-called "Flying Squad" in QBFP.
How many outcomes that benefit rec fishers. They closed Pumicestone Passage about 7 years ago but everywhere else in Queensland, our fisheries resources have been getting caught in progressively bigger volumes by the commercial fishing industry mostly at the expense of the recreational catch. The only way out of this is dedicated areas that are commercial free. We do not want to compete with their "efficient" methods.
When will it happen? Don't hold your breath. You might be paying for it through PPV but it may not happen in my lifetime.

saundy
06-03-2002, 06:44 AM
As someone else has said elsewhere on this board " the government has probably made its mind up anyway". I filled my SIP in anyway. When the old QFMA got the chop I wondered just what the changes would be. New stationary for the new name and the same old bureaucrats leaning very much toward the pros. If Henry P. keeps making the decisions he has been he should be asked to show his license number like all the pros.

Fitzy
06-03-2002, 09:50 AM
Think it was JD who described things well.

"QFS is just a re-arrangment of the QFMA deck chairs"