PDA

View Full Version : Cast netting

Luke
09-03-2002, 07:28 PM
What's peoples opinions on fishing in the same place you cast net livies in estuary situations? Do you reckon it scares off particularly bream(or any fish really) for long periods of time or do they return after the commotion dies down?
Cheers Luke

LYNDO
09-03-2002, 09:17 PM
???Luke do you use berley when cast netting for your livies.

;DThey will definetly be coming back if you do.

;)Cheers Lyndo

Lucky_Phill
10-03-2002, 07:40 AM
You'l find ( as I did in Nth Qld ), that all that throwing made a commotion, and unsettled the bottom, making, as a result, berley. This actually attracted fish.

I have been castnetting for poddy mullet, threw over the same ground 10 minutes later and picked up a nice Flattie.

Do you know the rules regarding cast netting ? I was caught out a little while ago. Apparently, you must clear the non keeping fish while the net is still in the water. Same as for Drag netting. In other words, you're not supposed to lift or remaove your net from the water until all fish not being keep have been released. It's one of those obscure rules that not a lot of people know.

ps. Those Breaker girls just keep gettin better lookin everyday ;D 8)

Luke
10-03-2002, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys,
Lyndo I do use berley and don't believe it scares anything for long. You two have just settled a longstanding debate. A mate doesn't like me castnetting around where he fishes because he thinks the fish will be off. I'll have to remember that rule Phil :)
Cheers Luke

imported_admin
10-03-2002, 08:22 AM
Phill

Had never heard of that rule on cast nets. The reason we are still allowed cast nets in QLD and NT is that we have big water lizards that bite #;D #If one is to clear the cast net before it is removed from the water does this not put the person in danger and contradict the reason we are allowed to use cast nets. How do they expect someone to remove the non keeping fish from a cast net without removeing it from the water anyway.

Just had a look at the fishweb site and the only rule I could find was

Cast nets
A cast net must not have a length of more than 3.7 metres.

Length of a cast net means the greater of the distances between the point where the net's cord or rope is attached to the rest of the net and the following:

The net's lead line
The bottom of the net's lowest pocket

Katrina
10-03-2002, 12:05 PM
;D Just wondering where the 'rules' or whatever referring to where you can use a cast net exist? Never really been able to find that out in any DPI literature. I know Hervey bay has net free areas, but what about everywhere else?? Cheers, Katrina

imported_admin
10-03-2002, 01:45 PM
Katrina

Try Fishweb - Doesn't seem to go into a lot of details though but you can contact them from there to get more info http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/

Kerry
10-03-2002, 02:32 PM
;D Just wondering where the 'rules' or whatever referring to where you can use a cast net exist? #Never really been able to find that out in any DPI literature. #I know Hervey bay has net free areas, but what about everywhere else?? #Cheers, Katrina

Is that "net free" with regards "nets" or specifically aimed at nets in general including cast nets as normally cast nets are not considered in the same category as nets and assuming it's away from marina's etc which are normally no no on any and all forms of "fish extraction" (which is ok).

Cheers, Kerry.

Katrina
10-03-2002, 04:05 PM
;D Between Pt Vernon and the Urangan Harbour is a net free zone, not sure exactly how far out in the water that extends, but definitely cannot cast net of Urangan Pier for example.

mossy43
10-03-2002, 04:18 PM
Katrina the area closed to all types of netting in Hervey Bay is from Point Vernon to the seaward end of the Scarness Jetty continuing to the seaward end of the Urangan Pier and then continuing to the seaward end of the southern end of the rock wall of the Urangan Boat Harbour. Mossy ;D ;D

Katrina
10-03-2002, 04:28 PM
;D Thanks, Mossy43, been a long time since I had to think about it, had a rough idea, just enough to keep me outta trouble!! ;)

Gazza
10-03-2002, 05:11 PM
And the 2 BEST video(s) ,I've ever been able to find on 'how to' chuck a net.......ARE ON THIS SITE!!!!!!!

http://www.ausfish.com.au/castnet/

Absolutely top stuff , and looks so bloody simple #:'( :'( :'( :'(

Regards
Gazza