PDA

View Full Version : Pro Angler Reports

Kerry
12-03-2002, 04:23 AM
::) one sort of has to wonder at the wording but putting that aside what's the purpose of "Pro Angler Reports" or any fishing reports in general. What purpose or whose purpose do they serve and why.

Coming from a direction of, if the fish/fishing is becoming less viable (as some say) then why broadcast it to the world ???

Cheers, Kerry.

imported_admin
12-03-2002, 12:34 PM
You refer to Pro reports, not sure is you are refereing to Pro Fisherman or just using the word Pro in your post in reference to experienced recreational anglers.

As fishing is getting harder and there being less fish to be caught then reports on where they are, how to catch them. etc. are very useful. If there were fish everywhere to be caught then there would be no use for reports.

Most anglers don't mind sharing info with fellow anglers, they may not give you GPS marks or anything, wich is fair enough, but they will share some knowledge and point people in the right direction.

webby
12-03-2002, 03:02 PM
;D like most on this site, we all enjoy a bit of feedback, and
the use of this board for swapping info and other matters
relating to an enjoyable day on the water, whether we catch
our quotas or nothing, 99% dont seem to mind the (Pro-
Anglers Reports). it helps those that are interested in the
world of fishing whats going on where and when and whats
around. I suggest you go down to your local tackle store
buy your self a rod and reel your first , and relax a little, instead of spewing out all these (Physco) posts you make.
Get a life Kerry, most of us here enjoy what we read, and some even benefit from it to make there day out more enjoyable :-X :-X
regards

Cremated_Reddog
12-03-2002, 03:15 PM
hey there was nothing wrong with my post on this topic :'( :'(

Gazza
12-03-2002, 05:17 PM
::) one sort of has to wonder at the wording but putting that aside what's the purpose of "Pro Angler Reports" or any fishing reports in general. What purpose or whose purpose do they serve and why.

Coming from a direction of, if the fish/fishing is becoming less viable (as some say) then why broadcast it to the world #???

Cheers, Kerry.

Hi Kerry , sorta understand what your getting at.

Most reports do mean diddly squat to my fishing area (on most websites)

Nugget here ,always puts in a Monday report/summary for the SEQ area. I find the 'general' info most helpful ,as I 'know' where he is talking about , you are a plane trip north ,so most info (in this case)would be useless to you.

By 'general' info ,I mean like.......e.g.
Bream are starting to school
Next week the tides will be X ,and that will encourage Y
Lots of weed at present ,starting to clear up ,etc
Muddies are a bit quite ,but the recent rains will start to move 'em ( or well up #the creeks is your best bet)

Just snippetts here and there Kerry ,that paint a picture for the 'locals'.

The rest of Pro reports ,sure they mean nothing to me either,
but may be relevant to others.

Regards
Gazza

Kerry
13-03-2002, 07:59 AM
Gazza, as with most things it certainly can be difficult to generalize some of these types of things. The range can be from the type you are describing to the more "business" (questionable) related stuff.

Most will associate with their local "reporting" icons and they can be very vague but in some instances they can be specific (sometimes too specific). Also up this way it's probably not as big a deal as down your way as your populace (and competition) is larger.

Cheers, Kerry.

Kerry
13-03-2002, 08:09 AM
You refer to Pro reports, not sure is you are refereing to Pro Fisherman or just using the word Pro in your post in reference to experienced recreational anglers.

As fishing is getting harder and there being less fish to be caught then reports on where they are, how to catch them. etc. are very useful. If there were fish everywhere to be caught then there would be no use for reports.

Most anglers don't mind sharing info with fellow anglers, they may not give you GPS marks or anything, wich is fair enough, #but they will share some knowledge and point people in the right direction.

Was sort of having a go at the word "pro" being used by basically "non professional" as in the commercial sense that some people can quickly relate too ;D

But it was more in line with your middle para, less fish, more people, more reports, less fish and the circle simply has to get smaller.

I'm probably more angling at the "business" related type fishing reports where one sort of gets the impression that there's more to it than just being an angler to angler generic report.

And as for GPS marks :o >:( well I'll leave that one for another day :-X

Cheers, Kerry.

Kerry
13-03-2002, 01:15 PM
;D like most on this site, we all enjoy a bit of feedback, and
the use of this board for swapping info and other matters
relating to an enjoyable day on the water, whether we catch
our quotas or nothing, 99% dont seem to mind the (Pro-
Anglers Reports). it helps those that are interested in the
world of fishing whats going on where and when and whats
around. #I suggest you go down to your local tackle store
buy your self a rod and reel #your first , and relax a little, #instead of spewing out all these (Physco) posts you make.
Get a life Kerry, #most of us here enjoy what we read, and some even benefit from it to make there day out more enjoyable #:-X :-X
regards

What ever you reckon ;D, half a constructive reply the other just crap. Maybe it requires some editing as well :D ;D

Cheers, Kerry.

Fitzy
13-03-2002, 02:44 PM
Hi Kerry,
Seems to me like you've got a bee in your bonnet about something or someone in particular yet danced around the specifics? Please correct me if this isn't the case.
I do see your perspective on this however, yet I don't wholey (sp?) agree.
If we follow your logic to its conclusion, why then have great sites like this one at all?
Sharing of information is a social thing. If someone, be they pro or not, chooses to post or not to post a report for whatever reason, then so be it. For those that are willing to share their info, well done to them.
Do you think that some reports are delibately false or misleading for a specific purpose? I have read reports in papers & often wondered if Fred from the local tackle store would be silly/honest enough to say "No fish around my area, don't bother".
It is a very hard line to walk I recon.

Fitzy..

Kerry
13-03-2002, 03:11 PM
Fitzy, you may be aware I really don't get into specific's (with too many things) and that's done for a reason, so I generally toe a generic line in sourceing what the general opinions are.

Yes it's a general perpective based on a (some) specific occurrance/s which really doesn't need to be brought into the discusion.

And I agree "everybody" should be able to air there point of view but in doing that if crap and totally irrelevent comments aren't cut then they basically deserve a crap response. So lets hope double standards don't infringe on the board as those type of events tend to stand out like the proverbial and destroy good faith in rules that should apply equally.

Who really knows how accurate some of the reports are but in the cases where they are deadly accurate there's no point in first making them (to the world) and then complaining that someone stepped in and wrote the whole lot off (regardless of who did it).

It's probably been one of those fishing traditions (and rivilaries) that has gone on for years and if people want to report things to the world then that's fine but they then shouldn't winge about the outcome which may in part be based on there own ignorance.

And I will say again if I can't respond to crap and personal posts then you will have to reconsider the rules and adopt double standards as I generally call a spade a spade but I'm not about to bleed to the world just for webby's sake (I don't have too and what's more I don't need too)

"it is a very hard line to walk I recon" I understand that only too well.

Cheers, Kerry.

Fitzy
13-03-2002, 03:22 PM
Kerry,
For some of the reasons outlines, I spefically no longer post reports on locations that are:
A- hard to get to have restricted access
B- Will be easily over exploited or give an unfair advantage to anglers eg. some weirs where fishing is allowed & the fish school up there.
C- The species at a particular spot are rare or threatened.

I do however give the most accurate information that I can give. I also believe that 99% of folks reports are accurate too. I sometimes wonder at the "paid for reports" that are in some newspapers at times.

It also comes back to perspective. You & I could have fished the same spot at the same time using the same techniques, you clean up & think that the place is firing, where I might get nothing & think the place is shocking. That happens alot.
There's also no guarantee that what is working today will #be working tomorrow. That's fishing I suppose.

Fitzy..

webby
13-03-2002, 04:06 PM
I may have spoke some "crap" so be it, i may be blunt and
to the point, but i say whats necessary and hide no facts
If your posts would be more specific and to the point, and
not hiding behind the sentences you say. We might be more
responsive. As for the reports from "Pro Fishermen", i dont
think anyone posting a report on their success on the water
would admit to being anything more then Rec Anglers.
I do put reports up on occassions, outlining location/bait/
weather/tides etc but its no Brag Session. I Post it in the
anticipation it may help others. Since joining this site, i'll
admit i've learnt sum from others and hopefully I and others
have help other out. I usually back my reports up with a pic
if possible. as we all have doubts about fictional and non-
fictional reports you read and see photos of in magazines.
with lures etc placed in so called catches.mouths. Its up to
each individual on this site and others. To inhale or exhale
what they want to read. you only have to look at the responses (number of times read) on reports, that people
do want to read whats around and where. Fishing is a
funny game one day there here and next there over there, so
i see no harm in Reports, Its up to each individual to extract
from these reports what he or she may need to help for a better day, even if Fishing and Weather were twins they both
change daily.
regards

Kerry
13-03-2002, 04:41 PM
I may have spoke some "crap" so be it, i may be blunt and
to the point, but i say whats necessary and hide no facts
If your posts would be more specific and to the point, and
not hiding behind the sentences you say. #We might be more
responsive.

Webby, well we aren't all of the same mould (would rather be a bit boring don't you think) and make no mistake I'll be just as blunt in reply but when those comments are deleted in response to someone's "crap" which is still alive then there better be some good explanations otherwise one needs to ask the simply question, Why #??? (which I did).

Like I said I've got no problems with "your" comments/opinions to the query, that's why I asked it, if I didn't want comments I wouldn't have posted it, would I #???

Have to agree with some of the "staged" photo's, some of them stand out like the proverbial as well but try and tell the editor that, who is only interested in the numbers ($$$) game anyway.

Just so you might get down to the same level (and we don't have to hear anymore crap about irrelevents), that is a juvenile emperor (nice looking fish hey), that is also my hand and that's about all one may ever see, most everything else is classified #;D # :-X (my choice except for the gearcases #;D).

http://www.cqnet.com.au/~user/aitken/emp_juv.jpg

Cheers, Kerry.

Katrina
13-03-2002, 05:51 PM
;D Hey Kerry, RELAX!!!!! ;)

Kerry
14-03-2002, 07:18 AM
;D #Hey Kerry, RELAX!!!!! ;)

:D just wait till I'm not ;D

Cheers, Kerry.

aquarius
14-03-2002, 07:40 AM
Hey Kerry don't you know 10% of all anglers catch fish.....the rest are out there trying to catch a feed.......Don't you think its a good idea to help these people with information to make their day out on the water more enjoyable!!
Maybe the fishing is a little harder these days.....that is why you must educate people to do the right thing and realease the undersize fish etc......Mate you never stop learning in life and AUSFISH is a wonderful teacher !!
Cheers Brent ;)

Kerry
14-03-2002, 04:01 PM
Aquarius, Yes education is one thing and most accept that fact (even me #;D), it's some of the other stuff that's questionable but just far should one close the circle considering the benefits. Just where should the commercial (not as in pro/commercial) issues stop/start ???

But then every day on the water is a blessing, fish #:o they're just a bonus.

Cheers, Kerry.

aquarius
14-03-2002, 09:07 PM
Kerry i know one thing and that is if the government kept the bays and rivers free of commercial trawlers we would all have a better fishery.......think of all that by catch being thrown back in the water(dead!!!!!!) thats my biggest beef!!
Im sure alot of fisherman would support my veiws aswell.
Cheers Brent

Brett_Finger
15-03-2002, 02:43 AM
Aquarius, Yes education is one thing and most accept that fact (even me #;D), it's some of the other stuff that's questionable but just far should one close the circle considering the benefits. Just where should the commercial (not as in pro/commercial) issues stop/start #???

But then every day on the water is a blessing, fish #:o they're just a bonus.

I'll agree with you there Kerry, "every day on the water IS a bonus" ;D
Hookin,Brett

Cheers, Kerry.

Kerry
15-03-2002, 03:33 AM
Kerry i know one thing and that is if the government kept the bays and rivers free of commercial trawlers we would all have a better fishery.......think of all that by catch being thrown back in the water(dead!!!!!!) thats my biggest beef!!
Im sure alot of fisherman would support my veiws aswell.
Cheers Brent

Brent, gee somewhere along the line the subject no longer matches the topic, ah well this must be getting too well done ;) That can be one beef but also probably should be put in context these days (to a certain extent).

If the estuary (bays & rivers even) are the life blood of the sea then what's the life blood of the estuary. The answer to that holds much of the real problem for all concerned.

Cheers, Kerry.
#

Jack_Lives_Here
15-03-2002, 07:14 AM
Kerry,

I think you make a dead set great polititian. ;D ;D ;D

All the best
Dave

Kerry
15-03-2002, 01:43 PM
Dave, a politician :o what a horrid thought and what have to follow party policy AND be a Yes man :-X ::) :P

Never happen but I'll check the bottom of the garden ;D.

Cheers, Kerry.

Kerry
15-03-2002, 03:22 PM
Webby, I'm going to be quick with this one as the whole point was lost a long time back.

You've tried the "get your first fishing rod trick" and now it's accusations that I'm into commercial. Like I said in one post (that was deleted) you really are getting into crap with these types of statements. I'll humour a certain amount of garbage but I'm not going to be drawn into bleeding my heart out to you or anybody else for that matter just because you think I should.

Your tone doesn't deserve any consideration at this time and besides how many versions of my thoughts, opinions would you like.

Cheers, Kerry.

Fitzy
15-03-2002, 03:40 PM
Ok guys, I'll throw a bucket of water on proceedings about here. I don't know of any posts getting deleted in this string, but if it was I'd say it deserved to be. This is Ausfish, not bitchnet, if you want to play silly buggers, go there. I'd hate to have to lock-up the string up.

Kerry if there's a point anywhere in this string, please get to it.

Regards to All,

Fitzy..

Katrina
15-03-2002, 04:40 PM
::) Ditto!

Kerry
15-03-2002, 05:02 PM
Fitzy, I originally posted a simple question, there was some answers and some discussion, that was all that one was expecting.

There's some comments that you feel comfortable to wear and there was some which someone didn't. Basically if one doesn't have a right of reply (to what was crap and not string related) then that is something you need to consider.

Agreement (as you "sort" of don't) is not expected, civil comments directed to me received a civil response but some well, maybe the bees are in other bonnets?

All I know is I have/find time to respond to the subject however if you beleive Webby's cross examination actually deserves a reply then I'm going to have a bit of spare time to spend elsewhere. I beleive the word double standards come to mind from a deleted post.

Your call Fitzy, I don't have to put up with the crap either.

Cheers, Kerry.

Katrina
15-03-2002, 05:03 PM
::) Kerry, maybe if you don't like it, you should take your own advice, go elsewhere, we really don't mind, honestly!!! :-* :-* :-* ;)

Fitzy
15-03-2002, 05:18 PM
Fitzy, I originally posted a simple question, there was some answers and some discussion, that was all that one was expecting.

There's some comments that you feel comfortable to wear and there was some which someone didn't. Basically if one doesn't have a right of reply (to what was crap and not string related) then that is something you need to consider.

Agreement (as you "sort" of don't) is not expected, civil comments directed to me received a civil response but some well, maybe the bees are in other bonnets?

All I know is I have/find time to respond to the subject however if you beleive Webby's cross examination actually deserves a reply then I'm going to have a bit of spare time to spend elsewhere. I beleive the word double standards come to mind from a deleted post.

Your call Fitzy, I don't have to put up with the crap either. #

Cheers, Kerry.

Hi again Kerry,
I was giving you the opportunity to re-state the original intent of the post. No double standards, I call them as I see them. Don't go jumping at shadows mate. ::)
I value your input both here & at other sites although I remember finding myself on the recieving end of some comments by you at one stage at another site. Water under the bridge after I gave you some facts & cleared the air.

I'm not here to blow wind up anyones clacker, if you're not happy go. I however am not here to argue or explain myself to anyone barring our host Steve.
I'll leave the string alone for closing comments before I lock it up. It's gone way too far into left field from the original post.

Regards to ALL,

Fitzy..

Kerry
15-03-2002, 05:31 PM
::) #Kerry, maybe if you don't like it, you should take your own advice, go elsewhere, we really don't mind, honestly!!! :-* :-* :-* ;)

Good to see "we" don't mind ;) are we speaking as an individual or as a "spokesperson" ???. You have really contributed some mind blowing comments.

Cheers, Kerry.

Kerry
15-03-2002, 05:34 PM
Ah yeah sorry Fitzy, got way laid. No you call as you see fit, I expect you to do what you see fit, as I also call things as I see them. I made this short so I better post this while I can ;)

Cheers, Kerry.

Fitzy
15-03-2002, 05:42 PM
Thanks all for your comments.
I think we've shown that no matter what our differences of oppinions may be, we are all passionate about our fishing & fisheries resorces. That is to be commended.

Cheers All,

Fitzy..