PDA

View Full Version : Boat licence

Chris_J
02-02-2002, 02:20 PM
G'day

I have a little problem :-/ See i have just turned 15 and im keen (to say the least ;)) on freshwater impoundment fishing/tournaments/any fishing ;D. My olds' have just brought me a new 435 hornet trophy with a 50h.p merc BUT im not really old enough to get a linence what can i do? :-/ I don't really want to be going against the law but thats all i can to at the moment.

Regards CJ ;)

Jason_L
02-02-2002, 03:51 PM
get them to buy u a little 10 foot tinnyr with a 4hp on the back. u don't need a licence for that size motor.. or is it 6hp..

then when u want to get to better places, get your old man to take u in the new boat.

Luke
02-02-2002, 03:56 PM
Hey Chris,
I reckon whatever you do be good to your parents mate and wait till you get your licence. Lucky fella. ;D
Cheers Luke

krazyfisher
02-02-2002, 05:21 PM
chris
just a quick question how do you get the boat to water?
If someone takes it there for you cann't they get their licence?

Chris_J
02-02-2002, 05:22 PM
guys another little problem is im the only one in my family that goes fishin' :-/ they only take me there then they bugger off and do their own thing

Regards
CJ ;)

P.S Jason the upper limit on horsepower without a linence is six. thats what i used to have ;)

Fisherman02
02-02-2002, 09:02 PM
Hey guys just turned 15
Randall is giving me a 2-3hp motor thining bout buying a boat or tinny not too long big enough for 4 people maybe for sea and river fishing around 200 dollars can anyone help? thanks jack
p.s you don't need a licence if it is that small eh?

Jason_L
02-02-2002, 09:25 PM
oh ok. chris.. 6HP.. i think it use to be 4.

fisherman. like whats been said to you before. $200 won't buy u a boat worthy for sea conditions.
you'll be lucky if you can pick up a 10 foot for $700. and then it will only be good for the creek.
you'd be able to put 4 people in it. but i'd only want two.

we have a 5m center console and it's rated at 5.p.o.b.
3 is perfect. 4 gets a bit crowded.

Chris_J
03-02-2002, 05:17 AM
Hey Guys

Well it looks like im rooted, if i get caught that is. :-/
Fisherman u would be doing great if u could find a boat that would float for 200 mate. my old boat was a old manta craft i picked it up for about 1200. but i had a friend pick up a boat for 500 it was brand new some old lady won it at the sports club and didn't want it. it was a stessl egdrtracker with a 6h.p merc. good deal i reckon. juss keep lookin' round u should be able to find some probably for abit more than 200 though.

Regards

CJ ;)

shano
03-02-2002, 12:08 PM
my sugestion would be to get the 6 hp motor till your old enough for a licence! they go ok!

Fisherman02
03-02-2002, 04:26 PM
Well Chris
there seem to be a lot of boats for around 150-200 in the trading post! ???

Katrina
03-02-2002, 04:46 PM
;) Maybe an inflatable Sevlyor or similar, easy to transport anyhow, and you can put a small outboard on it if need be. Very portable without a motor, just need to pump it up!

Fisherman02
09-03-2002, 07:44 PM
yeah that'd be good katrina know where I could get some prices?
cheers jack

Finny
12-03-2002, 08:22 AM
Hi CJ,

I am not sure where you live but here is the deal from a NSW's perspective. This is straight off the waterways site...

WHEN IS A BOATING LICENCE REQUIRED?

It is important to know that it is neither the size of a vessel nor the power of an engine which determines whether a person needs to be licensed - it is the speed at which a boat is driven.

Except in the case of a PWC any person who drives a mechanically propelled vessel on NSW waters at 10 knots or more must have a boat drivers licence.

Note: 10 knots is the speed at which an accelerating boat will start to plane - that is rise up and skim along on top of the water instead of ploughing through it.

TYPES OF LICENSE

a. GENERAL LICENCE

A licence for people aged 16 years and over to drive any vessel except a PWC at 10 knots or more.

b. GENERAL YOUNG ADULT LICENCE

This is a restricted licence for those aged from 12 to under 16 years. A Young Adult Licensee must:

be accompanied by the holder of a General Licence when travelling at 10 knots or more;

never exceed 20 knots;

never travel at 10 knots or more after sunset and before sunrise;

never travel at 10 knots or more when towing an aquaplaner;

never tow a water skier;

not drive in any race, display, regatta or exhibition without prior consent from the Waterways Authority; and

never operate a PWC unless the holder of a Young Adult PWC Licence.

So from a NSW perspective you are OK....

BTW....Be nice to your parents when they buy you boats like that! Goodness knows what sort of car you will get!

Regards

Finny

Chris_J
12-03-2002, 05:22 PM
G'day finny

Im from QLD so im not sure how those things r compared to those in QLD.......but thanks for ur input ;)

CJ :)

Finny
12-03-2002, 07:48 PM
Hi CJ,

Well checked out the QLD site and basically your screwed until your 16. Sorry mate but looks like you take the motor off and start rowing.........:>)

Could always do a runner and jump the border for your licence. You might then find you will get away when pleading ignorance! Remember ignorance is bliss!!!

Mmmmm Maybe this isn't something I should be teaching a 15 yr old ;>)

Good Luck

Finny

Simon
13-03-2002, 08:11 AM
CJ

Just had a thought if you want to fish the impoundments etc you could get yourself a decent electric motor, I'd recomend a bow mount. This would still pull you along well and most of Qlds dams have very fishable water acccessable by electric. You would also be elligible to fish the electric comps with consent from the olds.
Fishing like this twelve months shall pass by in no time.
Cheers

Simon.

Chris_J
13-03-2002, 11:50 AM
Simon

I already have a electric bow mount.......actually i'm gettin' a new one next week-end .......i think i might just try to take out someone who already has their licence whenever i go out....and on the point of the electric comps i think well juss do the stessl ones for now coz then i juss enter as apart of a team.......I'm looking forward to the one on the weekend ;D

CJ

motman
17-03-2002, 03:15 PM
CJ
Here it is no use jumping the border as in NSW still have to have licenced person with you.
In Qld a recreational ship masters licence (Speed boat licence) is required if the vessel has all of these three factors;

1/ Above 6 hp motor
2/ Designed to plane (not displacement hull)
3/ Capable of doing 10 knots

If your boat and I doubt it does 'nt furfill any one of these three catagories you dont need a licence and from the age of 12 years you can drive , but someone with a licence is in charge of the boat. As for driving without a licence forget it mate even if you dont get caught if you injure someone its quite serious so forget the fine think about conciquinces