PDA

View Full Version : barra theory

dazza
17-03-2002, 06:26 AM
This year we have had no real wet season on Cape York The creeks and rivers had a bit of a run, but they are starting to clear up again.
Can we expect alot more bigger barra around this year. Alot of fish would have got downstream to breed, but they are going to need a good pair of hiking boots to get back up to the lagoons and billabongs which become landlocked.
I suppose as the year goes on the answer will become evident. Any thoughts on this "theory".
cheers
dazza

Steve_Ooi
17-03-2002, 06:56 AM
Dazza mate , i suspect the same around the Cairns area, we had a enough rain to let the fish out to sea to breed but not enough to let them back up stream ....the only ones i seem to be getting up stream at the moment are mainly small barras, probably last years fry....
The other thing that was worrying me was the though of the pros cleaning up on them :'(....

Vern_Veitch
17-03-2002, 06:59 AM
If you look at what happens in the NT, the Barra seem to run in about a 3 year recruiting cycle. You will probably have more large fish this year and perhaps more in the salt than the fresh. Problem will be that the bigger fish will eat the fingerlings and recruitment may be poor for the catchable stock in 2 or 3 years from now. The little fish need to get up into those small creeks and shallow lagoons or they get eaten.
Unfortunately, this makes the fish in the salt more available to net fishing
That's my theory anyway. Sorry about the edit but I have fat fingers.
Vern

dazza
22-03-2002, 02:04 PM
It will be interesting to see how the season progresses. Currently they have got a bit of lock jaw at the moment. Thankfully the jacks and fingermark are going off
Cheers
Dazza