PDA

View Full Version : Cast Nets

Brian
24-03-2002, 11:15 AM
Ok people i'm looking at buying a good cast net .... I have used some nets and they are like dogs will not open properly. Before the comedians of the group comment on my casting ability thats not the factor :)

I am informed there are good and bad nets. So if someone can tell me who makes a good net, i would appreciate that. As for the size i'm guessing 3 m drop again advise wound be welcomed.

My son (aka deckie) wants to start catching live bait for when we go Jew fishing later this year :) :)

jaybee
24-03-2002, 02:21 PM
Hi Brian go here http://www.ausfish.com.au/castnet/ there is a couple o videos by Dave 'Nugget' Downie and Steve Brown.. I am sure they will help you if you instant message them cheers.

webby
25-03-2002, 04:27 AM
Hi, I find the Monofiliment H/duty are the best, i have both
types but the mono is easier to cast and gets a better spread
plus not holding water. 9' is the largest one for prawns and more open water and the other is smaller for getting in close to banks and mangroves as for brands they all seem to
works , just remember if you live sth of the border they are
illegal
regards

CHRIS_aka_GWH
25-03-2002, 10:28 AM
Hey Brian,
Capt Bligh's tacklemart in Logan City used to sell a handmade true 10ft drop mono top pocket net retailing for apprx. $200. They don't have them anymore apparently due to ABN requirements from the tax office forcing the oldtimers who make em to set up a legitimate business. If you put some money thru the till at Capt'n Bligh's I'm sure the guys there might share a phone number if they have one still. I'd never used one before but using this net & following the technique from Greg Lacey's guide to cast netting at www.fishingnoosa.com.au I got a good spread (although a bit oval), from first go. By not gathering as much lead as I did at the start & improving the release point & timing I've got it pretty much fully spread & circular now after about 6hrs of throwing in a boat. The only time I've had this net not open properly was when I gathered the leadline poorly & it caught on the mono on another part of the net. Could it be possible snagging points on the leadline or knots that seperate easy to throw nets from "the dogs". Hope this helps.

Heath
25-03-2002, 11:05 AM
I have some instructions on how to throw castnets on my webpage, as well as some info on your fanning problem, with normal nets.

Quickly though, if you buy a top pocket net from Amart ######### which retails for around $99.00, you shouldn't have any fanning problems.

Randall
26-03-2002, 12:25 PM
OK Brian....seeing as you have a quota of good advice answers, I`m gunna post what every one wanted to post!! ;-)

You have a perfectly good Deckie that can swim like a fish. Encourage him to hold his breath and swim around the shallows with a bucket mate!!!

I`m outa here now. Whoops, just remembered....you know where I live!!!! ;-)

Randall.

Brian
26-03-2002, 03:54 PM
I tried that Randell ::)........ grabbed him and launched him and yelled out FETCH. He took some convincing had to hit him with the oar a few times (hard to get good deckies) so he would not get back in the boat............... untill he got a bucket full.

But i gotta watch out now he is old enough to be skipper .............. lucky i still got size on my side to sort him out lol.

I will mention your advice on bait gathering to the deckie ;D

Skipper