to be "Raped" by some Anglers.
Fishing is a Challenge each time you set foot on the water,
with a lot of Elements (Weather/Wind/Moon etc) Challenging
you each trip, So do Reports Give you that Slight Edge to
Challenge those elements.
The Validity of some Reports without "Picture Proof"
is a touchy subject, but its up to the Individual to take Reports
on there Merit.
We all know that Reports Catches in an Area One Day, Can be the Opposite the Next.
Should Reports be more on a General Area and not the Exact Area, which gives you more of a Challenge.
>:( Due to the configuration of how the poll on this site works
YOU CAN ONLY CASTS ONE VOTE. you are then Locked.
So you will have to decide which Question is the more
important to Vote on or not to.
Will be of Interest to All which one Polls the Most.
regards

jaybee
24-03-2002, 02:28 PM
I personally believe reports are great, doesn't necessarily mean you will catch fish tho..they are here today gone tomorrow..and it depends on the fisherperson and gear and attitude. I can remember down the sandpumping jetty one night last year at the kiosk..the phone rang..and the guy behind the counter told someone tailor were comming over the rails left right n centre..not one was being caught..but hey if u read a report and go to the spot either the fish are on or not..at least you get out and enjoy yourself specially if the missus and kids are involved, I personally believe if an area is being raped then someone is taking more then they need.
cheers.

WHITTO
24-03-2002, 04:18 PM
G'day Webby,
I think the poll so far,overwellmingly says it all,I like Fishing Reports only to give me a general location of where people are catching fish, I have found with experience that you still have too find the fish,I personally C&Foto&R. This is what we should be advocating starting in our Schools. Your Question is a good one and it will be interesting to see all of the replys. Cheers and Good Fishing to you Whitto

Heath
25-03-2002, 06:20 PM
Giving exact locations for fishing reports makes it too easy for every man & his dog to cramp your spot. Sure you may catch fish there, but you will never know why. Giving general locations leaves a bit of homework for the angler to do & also hopefully make them aware of their surroundings.

Yetti
26-03-2002, 01:44 AM
I like Fishing Reports - else how can an 'out of towner' like me ever get to have a good experience

I don't have time to visit multible spots over a season like I do back home - as I only have a couple of weeks to visit.

All my fish are catch and release so I don't regards myself as a Fish 'rapist'

Merely a sports person trying to show my son a good time

Yetti

MikeC
27-03-2002, 05:54 AM
I recall an article by Gary Prerost in the Qld Fishing Monthly referring to the decimation of the mangrove jack population in the Tweed River. He could no longer catch [and release] jacks at his favourite spot because the word was out.
Jack and bass populations can be quite localised making them vulnerable to greedy anglers, many of whom would gladly take advantage of the precise directions contained in some fishing reports.
My concern about these chat boards is that you never know who's reading them. I suggest if you have a location you wish to share, do so by email - don't go public. I've already seen too many bass carcasses rotting on the bank. Make the culprits earn them!
Mike

team_mongo
01-04-2002, 04:03 AM
I'd like to think fishing reports are another source of useful info. Sometimes they're great, and for example can tell you when the season has started. Other times they just told what happened yesterday or a week ago - which is, in most cases, not whats going to happen today.

I think most anglers, particularly C&R fishos, are keen to share their approx location and techniques - because it hopefully shouldn't impact on their future sport. I'm not sure if this applies for hardcore meatos. Most of my fish are from sustainable fisheries (dams) or of poor table quality, so I'm more than happy to share techniques and general locations.

In the end its just another form of info. And the most important thing is what you do with it - hopefully responsible anglers will do the right thing and only take what they need and keep preservation of their sport high on their agenda.

Cheers
George

webby
02-04-2002, 05:04 AM
It seems we are all a bit Gun Shy, on your thoughts regarding
"Reports", with some 300+ views(some would have viewed
a few time and guests viewing) and only 38 votes, the Poll
only gives a small indication on your thoughts.
The Idea was to try and find out the General Census on
these "Reports", wether they are of any value/good/bad etc
We have all read reports at some stage of our fishing life
& no one person could say he hasnt. Thats all Fishing
Magazines are full of, BNB, Qld Fishing Monthy the Local
Rag and others. Wether we Benefit from reading them is
up to the Individual. They Verticually run hand in hand with
Weather Reports.
Maybe the Questions could have been different or worded
better, but you can only try like other Posts on this Site.
Thanks to those who have replied and Voiced their own
Opinions
Your in the Better Interest of Fishing
Webby http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm20.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm20.gif

Kerry
02-04-2002, 06:27 AM
As someone else mentioned recently on this topic, education is one thing, spoon feeding is quite different.

Cheers, Kerry.