PDA

View Full Version : Baitcasters verses Spinners

PrivateRyan
04-04-2002, 06:27 PM
??? Baitcasters verses Spinners ???

[hr]

I am currently looking around for a new reel and I'm not sure what to go with. I don't know a lot about the advantages between the two so I hope some of you guys could give me a clue. And could you also make any recommendations on a reel brand?

Thanks - Ryan Private_Ryan0@hotmail.com

aquarius
04-04-2002, 09:09 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gifG,Day Ryan......not sure how much fishing you have done but the spinning reel is the easiest 1 to use...baitcasters take a fair bit of practice.
I myself prefer the shimano bait runner spinning reels.....excellent reels with a very smooth waterproof drag system.......I tend to use the baitcasting reels more for trolling lures and casting into snaggy area's.......practice makes perfect...at least thats what they say.
What type of fishing are you thing of doing(fresh or salt water)?Ive bought so many reels over the years, always spending a little more each time.......mate go out and splurge your money on the best you can afford......it will save you heaps in the long run...my opinion only.......Always make sure you clean your gear after each fishing trip and it should last for quiet a long time...hope i hav'nt confused you too much.
Cheers Brent http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm16.gif

PrivateRyan
05-04-2002, 05:35 AM
I like to go fishing as often as possible. I've never really been into freshwater fishing, saltwater is more my game. But anytime I'm camping at a freshwater creek I like to take a lure and flick it around. My dad's got a baitcaster and I have no problem using it. Well I'm not perfect at using them but like you say nothing that a bit of practice won't fix. I tend more to bait fish; I've never had much luck with lures. Is there any real difference between the two? Do they do the same job or is it more of a preference?

aquarius
05-04-2002, 07:38 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gifG,Day again Ryan.....yes in my opinion it boils down to preference........I use both types of reels in salt water......just be more careful with the baitcaster......salt water gets inside them easier.
One thing i find is that i myself can cast alot further with the spinning reel when only using a small piece of bait and no sinker.
Some baitcaster's seem to cast better than others.......i love the ABU reels and the small shimano overheads.
Braided line is great for the baitcaster's and in my opinion not so great for the spinning....others my say different.
I bought some fluorocarbon line awhile back and placed it on both spinning and baitcasting reels.......after about 10 fishing trips the line on the spinning reel started to fray........There's no sign of this happening on the baitcaster as yet.(line made with fluorocarbon is pretty tough)
I think you answered the question in your last sentence....Preference........by the way i own 10 spinning and 8 baitcasting reels......a fisherman is always looking for that alround reel.......Don't know if there is such a reel!!
good luck in your choice mate.
Cheers Brent
ps...I reckon you can use them both for whatever you choose.

Rumpig
05-04-2002, 01:43 PM
I'd go with a spinning reel, they're very simple and very easy to use.
I have never had a problem with accuracy, I can cast as accuratly as my mate who uses an abu 2600 and I can cast further than him with light lures.

I do think a baitcaster is better for floating a bait down to bream though.

MIck

PrivateRyan
05-04-2002, 03:15 PM
yeah...I've heard that baitcasters were the best for accuracy but I've never had any problems with the spinners. I suppose with baitcasters you've got a little more control. Do any of you guys know where I can get some online prices for shimano reels? Just to see what I'd be lookin at with what I'm spending.

Ryan