PDA

View Full Version : canoe, kayaks

Gilly
01-04-2002, 12:47 PM
I am a keen beach and rock fisho, but I am thinking about buying a canoe to get out a bit further. Does anyone know of a place where I can buy one second hand, as I don't want to spend much on one?!!

Thanx.... ;D

The_Walrus
01-04-2002, 04:57 PM
Hi,

I would not recommend using an open canoe in the ocean.

If you must use a paddled powered craft in the ocean, i would suggest a surf-sky type design or a kayack.

In all these crafts, stability is a problem and going for a swim is a matter of when, not if.

In my younger (mad) years, when the surf was flat, I have cought a few tunas and macs from my whitewater kayack.

It's not an endeavour I'd be willing to try again.

Luc

Sweetlip
02-04-2002, 02:51 AM
I just sold my old 16ft fibreglass canoe in the Trading post for $150.

The phone calls started at 6am on the day of publication and are still coming over a week later. Hahaha! We had it sold before 8am on the first day. Hahaha!

Anyway, I used to use it for fishing and built an outrigger out of PVC pipes to give it stability. That worked well but it made it harder to paddle especially against a side wind. The outrigger made it want to go left all the time. (If it was a boat, I would say "port" but hell, it was a canoe so "left" willl do.)

However, with the outrigger, I felt confident to take it well away from the shore. I also wore a lifejacket. The good ones from canoeing cost about $70.

The old canoe was quite heavy as it was previously owned by a school and had been patched with fibreglass several times. So I built a special trailer for it - pretty flash - alloy wheels, big rollers etc.

Anyway, after all of my experience, I would recommend that you forget the canoe for fishing and buy a cheap little tinny. Quintrex have been running adverts lately saying things like people ought to forget putting off buying a boat until they can get the "big one" and go out an get some enjoyment from a little tinny. I think that they are right. I put it off until I could buy the "big one" and now regret not getting a little tinny when my sons were young - but that is another story.

But anyway, have a look at a little tinny. You don't have to pay cash, you can pay the thing off and quite low payments each week. I know that the interest may be high but what the heck.

I reckon that you will waste too many years of your life trying to fish out of a canoe.

Sweetlip

Gilly
05-04-2002, 04:32 PM
Thanx for the info guys!! I think I might wait until I can get a little tinny or something....

I guess once I got out there I would want to go further than my arms are willing to paddle anyway! he he.