PDA

View Full Version : New DPI regs

Jack_Lives_Here
05-04-2002, 04:40 AM
Heard on the radio on the way to work of proposed new regs on recreational fishing. Increased size limits, decreased bag limits and closed seasons on some species - I'm all for this. No mention of any changes to the bag limits for the pro catchers. I had a look at the DPI webpage and couldn't find any info on the new proposals.
They mentioned that research has shown a declining mackeral fishery - drrrr! If you net them before they have a chance to breed, of course it will decrease a population.
Seriously how much decline would the recreational fisher contribute to this decline ??? Factors like the pilchard die off a couple of years ago would have to contribute to some degree ??? Advancements in technology over the many years allow the pro catchers to catch more fish. :(
A decline in a species can't be something that has just happened - it's has to be a progressive slide. From what little knowledge I have, the NT fishery is managed superbly - what are WE doing wrong ???
No good shuttin' the gate after the bull has bolted. Like I said I'm all for lower bag limits and increased size limits - I want to be able to take my kids down and catch fish one day.

All the best
Dave

Luke
05-04-2002, 05:02 AM
Good news allround. Hope to hear some news on proposed changes for the pros also. ;D
Cheers Luke

craigie
05-04-2002, 09:33 AM
Hi Guy's,

Get hold of today's Newspaper(4/4/02)there is a big fisheries spread across the front page.

Cheers
Craigie.

imported_admin
05-04-2002, 10:06 AM
Article in question

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,4068938%255E952,00.html

Luke
05-04-2002, 02:00 PM
Its official. Just heard it on the radio. Bag limit of 20 for tailor except Fraser Is which is 30 with regulations to follow on Snapper etc.
Luke

Luke
05-04-2002, 03:01 PM
BTW I reckon a round of applause to Vern Veitch, Sunfish and all the supporters for playing major roles in their efforts to help this finally happen. Good work on your tireless efforts and thanks for having forethought :)
Luke

Touchy - R.I.P.
05-04-2002, 04:00 PM
Hang on a mo'guys,please correct this ignoramus but I thought the main aim of all this work was to see a TOTAL ban on netting of tailor off our beaches (as per nsw)??? ??? ???,All I've heard so far is restrictions yet again on the rec fisho's re bag limits(still a good thing)the qld pro's can still rape the beaches & their nsw buddies can still pop over & do the same,i'll not be thanking anyone just yet till all the facts/figures are known.T

Luke
06-04-2002, 02:15 AM
Hey Touchy,
the pros are allowed 120 tonne (overall per trip I'd say). That was on the news anyway. Atleast it's a start.
Ps. Gee he's a bit touchy isn't he ;D
Luke

CHRIS_aka_GWH
06-04-2002, 03:54 AM
Morning all,
I'm all for it. Twenty legal tailor is a heap of flesh for a fish that is best eaten fresh. We as rec anglers need to observe & make sure our mates observe the bag limit, because then if the stocks aren't seen to markedly improve, the next step toward the ban on netting tailor in Qld is obvious.
On that subject, after the NSW ban last year, our crew found tailor in the shadows of the Gold Coast highrises in numbers we hadn't seen since we were kids. Further north on the remote beaches (Straddies in particular) the schools were a lot harder to find. Are there restrictions on pro netting of the tourist strip that caused this or just coincidence?
chris

saundy
07-04-2002, 12:18 PM
Yes well, I think that somewhere along the line, Queensland drew the short straw and wound up the state that has to give in the most to the pros. Maybe the problem is that our pollies can't read, and don't know that other states are listening to the people and doing something positive. Disn't Beatie say on the news a little while back that "any member who didn't listen to his electorate was a FOOL'? Maybe we live in a fools paradise.

Luke
07-04-2002, 12:24 PM
Just righting a wrong 120 tonne a year for the pros :-[