PDA

View Full Version : Bag Limits Charter Operators

Luke
10-04-2002, 04:30 AM
What are the current standings on charter operators with bag limits? Are they privvy to any kind of exemptions with the in possession laws and are the bag limits per day or in total possession when returning to dock? Are they being looked at aswell?
Cheers Luke

Jack_Lives_Here
10-04-2002, 05:20 AM
As far as I'm aware they operate under the same bag / in possession limits. I think it would be in their best interest to limit catches.
Maybe the "closed season" scenario has merit ??? ???

Vern_Veitch
10-04-2002, 10:07 AM
Some charter operators are screaming about spawning closures claiming it will ruin their industry. Been in the news here in the north.
They also want extended bag limits for long trips. They claim that those rec fishers with their own boats can go out every day of the week and come back with a bag. Who are we kidding. It is 40 miles to the nearest reef off Townsville and 70 miles from Mackay. Try that in 15 to 20 knots in a small boat.
They claim that because there are not many of them that their impact is small.
Seems they want everyone else to take a cut so they can make a quid.
Make up your own minds.
Vern

Barrymundi
10-04-2002, 11:34 AM
G’Day Vern.

A very generalised view about Charter Operators which may give some people the wrong opinion about the industry here in Townsville.

Now these are my personal views, not the views of the Charter Company “GOONDOOLOO CHARTERS” I work for or any other Charter Boat Operator.

The Majority of Charter Operator are very involved with the promotion of the sport of Fishing, encourage catch and release, limit the catches, support change and even support Sunfish. My self –Townsville Sport Fishing Club Rep & Goondooloo Charters Rep, Ryan Moody – U Beaut Barra Charter, Glen – Fair Dinkum Fishing Charters were all involved in many meetings with Sunfish for the Recreational Only Fishing Areas. Ryan and Glen are on a few committees relevant to fishing and certainly Ryan is in constant contact with Mayor Mooney promoting Fishing in the Townsville Area

I find it annoying that the bad side of a few is always bashed around when ever the chance arises.

Maybe Vern you should be barking at the illegal charter operators claiming to be fishing clubs who run big fish kill programs every weekend. Do these people PAY $$$ for permits -NO, do they record the catch/effort rate for QFS - NO, do they pay a EMC charge of $4 per person per day to GBRMPA - NO. These illegal operators are not CHARTER BOATS and the only purpose they go fishing is to fill the freezer.

Your statement “Seems they want everyone else to take a cut so they can make a quid” is very very unprofessional from a man in your position. If Charter Operators did not compete with illegal Charters the money would be good. I have been in meetings with you where Charter Operators supported reduced back limits. If bag limits are reduced with a few other items they would be more fish. More Fish = More Charters, More Charter = More Money.

I ‘ll catch up with you at the Sunfish AGM

Alan Deaner

Volvo
10-04-2002, 12:45 PM
::)Okay here goes for the third time, dont get through http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm6.gif leave it for another day Lol.
Weeellll i hope we arent being lured into the ole divide n conquer routine as some may think, ie; Rec fisho versus Pro or commercial fisho's as i see we are now looking very smartly at what the Charter Industry has or should have imposed upon them??.
I still dont see where too much lobbying is being done in curbing the exploitation of the food chain where the fishery is concerned though gotta admit i may not have been looking too hard in the right direction and did read somewhere a week or so back as to a Pilchard industry(harvest) bein set up here in good ole Queensland.
I am a little wary of following in the footsteps of too many in too much of a hurry without observing where me foot comes ta rest :-/ just incase i cant pull back out again.
United we stand divided we fall or sumthin like that http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm16.gif

Vern_Veitch
10-04-2002, 01:19 PM
Alan,
you should ask your reps on the ReefMAC what they have been seeking. You have seen the media here in Townsville the same as I have. I know your ethics and views and the inshore charter operators are a different bunch of blokes to those that take out reef charters. All of theinshore operators that I am aware of have strong environmental ethics.
A group of reef charter operators has opposed spawning closures. There is strong lobbying for extended bag limits on extended trips.
I thought we were all recreational fishers and it is certainly easier to get to the reef in anythng over 10 knots in a larger boat than can fit on a trailer.
I agree with you that a healthier fishery will see a healthier industry and the above issues need addressing by all sectors regardless of how big or small they may be.
Vern

Vern_Veitch
10-04-2002, 01:23 PM
Forgot to add that you know the criticism I cop for speaking publicly about reduced bag limits. I fully support the Recreational Fishing Code of Practice whose first principle is "Take only your immediate needs" and have been critical of those recreational anglers who turn a blind eye to this initiative - regardless of how they access the resource.
Vern

Kerry
10-04-2002, 01:58 PM
Ok so HOW does the charter industry view a dozen interstate fishos who arrive in about 5 vehicles, which includes the odd trailer (or 2) and ute which generally looks more at home as a refrigerated milk truck.

And they'll try and tell ya all the freezer capacity is to keep the beer cold ;D ;D http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm2.gif

Cheers, Kerry.

Barrymundi
11-04-2002, 04:12 AM
G'Day Kerry,

No idea how the Chater Industries sees that one.

For me it same as illegal Charter Operator v Legal Charter Operator = licenced commercial fisherman v unlicenced commercial fisherman